LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

94 LS400 - Problem with Differential & Right Axle feels Loose?

Old 11-26-15, 02:31 PM
tyncobb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 94 LS400 - Problem with Differential & Right Axle feels Loose?

I have a 1994 LS400 with Rear End vibrations and then in the past 2 weeks I am getting an occasional loud clicking noise from under rear wheels when going 0-10 miles per hour with each revolution of the tires and just noticed going over potholes now it sounds like louder noise from rear with each bounce. I just today jacked the rear end up and could actually move the differential and driver side rear axle connection easily with one hand....the differential is scary loose! I plan on replacing diff mount or mounts? (not sure how to do this without instructions and have searched on CL??? Anyone have instructions with Pictures?) and posters have also said to replace transmission mount (lexls has good instructions for this with pics). CAN ANYONE TELL me, is the connection at the axle to the differential supposed to be really flexible....or is that just because it seems like the diff mounting system is almost entirely off or broken??? ANY HELP OR ADVICE, INSTRUCTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, I FEEL LIKE I NEED TO DO THIS TOMORROW BEFORE THE AXLE BREAKS AWAY FROM THE DIFFERENTIAL OR VICE VERSA. Thanks because this really scares me and seems dangerous and hope all are having a Great Thanksgiving today.
Old 11-26-15, 04:40 PM
Bprakash
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There should be a flex rubber disc between the differential and axle. Is it there or is it missing?
Old 11-26-15, 08:12 PM
AandSC
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have a picture of the axle/differential it would help us. The axle is held to the differential by six screws. Are they all on and tight?
Old 11-29-15, 06:03 AM
tyncobb
Driver

Originally Posted by Bprakash
There should be a flex rubber disc between the differential and axle. Is it there or is it missing?
Bprakash,
Thanks for your feedback and question. I did check between the driveshaft and front of the differential and I think that bushing is called the propeller shaft bushing, not sure. But mine is solidly connected and appears to be in very good shape. I'm going to be spending some more time underneath it today and will post results. Thanks again for the suggestion
Old 11-29-15, 08:20 AM
tyncobb
Driver

Question

Originally Posted by AandSC
If you have a picture of the axle/differential it would help us. The axle is held to the differential by six screws. Are they all on and tight?
Thanks for your response AandSC. I decided to jack up the left rear side this time and when I got under the car, when I pushed up on the left rear axle near the differential, it was very solid. (So I should have done that earlier or jacked up both sides and then felt how loose everything was). I did check all six bolts on each axle/diff connection and all are solidly tight and the coupling/spacer appears to be in good shape. Then I rechecked the coupling/bushing between the driveshaft and diff and all bolts are tight and appears to be in good shape. Finally, I held the differential in both hands and could easily move/shake it and could see where it had the most play was in the back where there are two bushings that I have found out are connected to the subframe. There are two large allen bolts from the rear of the diff that fit in those bushings. (I am uploading a pic of both along with the front diff mount/bushing, that is soft but may be OK). The rear bushings look like they have almost totally disintegrated (after 528,000 miles that is reasonable). There are no leaks from the axles or differential and have changed the diff fluid approx. every 24 months. I checked with Lexus and they have the two rear bushings for $60.00 apiece which is peanuts. BUT, they said they would charge 6 hours to replace or about $1000.00 (because they drop the differential and then use a special tool to press out and in the old and new bushings....they said tool is cone shaped and I guess it fits thru the bushings and then screws together to press out the old and new bearings (said tool costs about $500.00). CAN YOU OR ANYONE suggest how I may be able to press these bushings out or what tool I can use and not need to take the entire subframe off (other than a large C-clamp because it will not fit around bottom of subframe and reach up high enough to the holes for bushings). I read a post by PureDrifter who said you can drop the differential without having to remove the axles and driveshaft, so then I could press out and put in a new front diff mount pretty easy....but trying to get the rear subframe bushings out while under the car laying on my back will be a challenge and don't know what tool would work (see pics of bushings). Thanks for any suggestions or help you or any CL members may have or can be As you will see, the pics from left to right are 1. Left Rear Diff Sub-frame Bushing. 2.) Right Rear Diff Sub-frame Bushing 3.) Front Diff Mount/Bushing 4.) Left Rear Axle Diff Bolts & Coupling.
Attached Thumbnails 94 LS400 - Problem with Differential & Right Axle feels Loose?-left-rear-diff-subframe-bushing.jpg   94 LS400 - Problem with Differential & Right Axle feels Loose?-right-rear-diff-subframe-bushing.jpg   94 LS400 - Problem with Differential & Right Axle feels Loose?-front-diff-mount-bushing.jpg   94 LS400 - Problem with Differential & Right Axle feels Loose?-rear-left-axle-diff-coupling.jpg  
Old 03-09-16, 11:15 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

tyncobb,
Did you do the diff. bushings replacement? How did it go, did you do it yourself?
Thank you in advance.
Old 03-10-16, 06:20 PM
valex
Advanced

My 99LS has 205K miles, I know my engine mounts are shot, already got new engine mounts and transmission one too, will be doing the job one of these days.
My thinking was to look into changing flex disks on the prop shaft, diff. "arms" bushings that are on sides and diff. rear subframe cushions. The latter ones call for SST's.

09570-22011: $423.65
09527-17011: $85.39

Anyone changed those and want to share experience? Are there cheaper substitutes for the SST's?
And if I do get the SSTs, can they be used for other bushing jobs or they are for that specific rear diff. bushing job only?

Thanks,
Val
Old 03-16-16, 11:26 AM
valex
Advanced

Anyone familiar with this SST? Can it be used for multiple applications, or just those specific diff bushings?
Old 03-17-16, 05:33 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I can't help but I will bump the thread to keep it visible in case someone else can help.
Old 03-18-16, 12:33 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

I read about someone replacing those bushings, try a search..