LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Are these LED bulbs plug and play in my 95?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-15, 06:58 PM
brybo86
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are these LED bulbs plug and play in my 95?

My drivers side low beam quit tonight.
If possible I would like to try some LED bulbs if they are a simple direct plug in like the OEM.
I don't want to cut wires and splice in any different plugs.
Will these work for the low beams in my 1995 LS400? Or is my only option to use a standard bulb without modifications?

http://www.carid.com/lumen/lumen-led-bulbs-3659407.html

Or should I just go with these standard ones?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sylvania-X...-Lamp/16913667

Last edited by brybo86; 11-19-15 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-19-15, 08:22 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

these type of LED bulbs are TERRIBLE and do NOT put out enough light to safely be used as anything but indicator or signal lights.

Normal halogens are your best bet unless you want to start going the HID route, which will involve wiring.
Old 11-19-15, 09:41 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Would not be a suggested route with those LED bulbs.
Those bulbs spec 150 lumen max.

A GE HB3 halogen bulb is 1860 lumens as a comparison of output.
http://catalog.gelighting.com/lamp/a...ps/f=hb3-basic
Old 11-19-15, 10:18 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

pd is correct...they need to have a cooling fan...do some research. thos are **** and dont buy from carid. i bought some plug and play from gtr lighting...gen 2
http://www.gtrlighting.com/gtr-light...0-lumen-bulbs/
Old 11-20-15, 01:11 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

even the fan equipped LED bulbs offer terrible light output pattern, worse reliability than an HID kit, AND don't offer the same level of light output
Old 11-20-15, 09:06 PM
python
Lexus Champion

ive had both..ur statement isnt true
Old 11-21-15, 02:27 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by python
ive had both..ur statement isnt true
And you're invalidating my statement of my experience as well as research by simply claiming your own experience is somehow more valid than mine?

I'm open to being told i'm wrong, but at least make an effort to provide evidence.
Old 11-21-15, 06:10 AM
python
Lexus Champion

the hid kits i have had..more than one..had reliability issues,flickering..not coming on the first time i powered them up which resulted in a hue problem. so i know whats coming next..u bought cheap kits..dont go there,because i didnt

the lighting on the hid kits although were bright didnt cast light down the road all that well...factor in warm up time and the led lights have a 30,000 hour life span. advancements in led lights have been made while the hids not so.

http://www.innovativelight.com/hid-vs-led-lighting/
Old 11-21-15, 08:09 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

the hid kits i have had..more than one..had reliability issues,flickering..not coming on the first time i powered them up which resulted in a hue problem. so i know whats coming next..u bought cheap kits..dont go there,because i didnt

the lighting on the hid kits although were bright didnt cast light down the road all that well...factor in warm up time and the led lights have a 30,000 hour life span. advancements in led lights have been made while the hids not so.

http://www.innovativelight.com/hid-vs-led-lighting/
The link you provided is for commercial lighting, not consumer automotive. In a stationary fixture the results are wholly unrelated.

Your issues with HID kits sound like (as you said) a poor quality kit. Quality HID exists, OEMs have ben shipping cars with it for ~15-20 years and continue to do so with minimal issues. LED technology is only NOW starting to catch up, and in the OEM is still not quite there yet (as evidenced by reliability issues still occasionally plaguing cars with OEM LED headlights/markers)

The flickering issues are usually due to low quality bulbs/ballasts or connectors. One light not coming on is almost always due (In the LS400) to not using a relay harness to independently power the lights and instead having the ballasts plugged into the light sockets separately. That's a $15-20 fix.

The spread of light is a whole different issue, and I agree that an HID kit in an OEM halogen housing produces poor quality results. The 1st gen LS400 USDM headlights have a terrible pattern and output in the stock form, HIDs just increase glare. I argue that this wouldn't be helped by running LEDs in these crappy housings eithre.

LED lights offer great promise for the future, but in the aftermarket automotive market they are just not nearly competitive enough with the existing HID systems to warranty changing over. They are NOT as bright (though they are finally getting close to OEM HID), the systems (not the diodes themselves) are NOT as reliable yet, even the newer systems with small fans and heatsinks (required because the diodes are not that efficient, yet.). In a couple years this may not be the case, but currently I believe it is.
Old 11-22-15, 05:40 AM
python
Lexus Champion

ur missing the point...totally. i have leds in now and the light out put from the same exact housing is better. hid kit lumens are around 3k..the led kit i have is 3600 low and 4500 high. so u mention cheap kits..i wont get into all that..but compare a 30k hour lifetime bulb to any hid bulb.
Old 11-22-15, 09:46 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
And you're invalidating my statement of my experience as well as research by simply claiming your own experience is somehow more valid than mine?

I'm open to being told i'm wrong, but at least make an effort to provide evidence.
btw ur saying ur experience is enough to invalidate mine with no evidence?
Old 11-23-15, 01:44 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

btw ur saying ur experience is enough to invalidate mine with no evidence?
Nope, I stated my beliefs based on experience and evidence, and how they differ from yours. At no point did I say you were completely off base or incorrect other than the misapplication of the link you provided.
Old 11-23-15, 05:52 AM
python
Lexus Champion

so did i..have u had both in ur car? i have..i had more than 1 of each including the new version of the led's which have more lumens than the hids...leds are becoming more popular because the technology isnt stagnant..they are getting better and coupled with the fact the hid kits have ballasts that fail and bulbs that also fail...well u believe what u want to.
Old 11-23-15, 11:25 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

the LED bulb the OP posted is NOT for illuminating the road ahead, it's simply for looks and as states will be a TERRIBLE idea for a halogen replacement.

the LED buibs/ballast/kit python is referring to is completely different in that there is more to the technology than just a simple bulb replacement. for my curiosity, what kit are your running python?
Old 11-23-15, 08:04 PM
python
Lexus Champion

first these

now these

3600/4500 lumens...they are brighter and put out more light on the road and down the road than both hid kits i had..which were 5k-6k kits

Quick Reply: Are these LED bulbs plug and play in my 95?