LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Turn signal driving lights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-15, 02:45 PM
scunyon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal driving lights?

Has anyone wired the front turn signals up to function as a driving light/turn signal combo? Or at least run them as parking lights and turn signals?

Another crazy idea that popped into my head since I've got clear lenses coming in. Thinking about some VLED switchbacks and thought that might look pretty cool.
Old 11-11-15, 03:13 PM
Nishy
Rookie

Originally Posted by scunyon
Has anyone wired the front turn signals up to function as a driving light/turn signal combo? Or at least run them as parking lights and turn signals?

Another crazy idea that popped into my head since I've got clear lenses coming in. Thinking about some VLED switchbacks and thought that might look pretty cool.
What do you mean? Like, fit another bulb in with the turn signal? Because you can't have orange driving lights....
Old 11-11-15, 04:36 PM
scunyon
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nishy
What do you mean? Like, fit another bulb in with the turn signal? Because you can't have orange driving lights....
No, I mean like these with clear front bumper lenses.

Old 11-12-15, 06:16 AM
Nishy
Rookie

Originally Posted by scunyon
No, I mean like these with clear front bumper lenses.
Oh, those are called switchback bulbs. They come in LED or HID I believe... I've never used them or wired them so I have no idea how complicated it would be, but I'm sure google would love to offer help :P
Old 11-12-15, 09:56 AM
I'mStock
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to do this but don't know how. I don't think it's as easy as just popping a switchback in there though as they're only blinkers in stock form so they'd need some sort of constant power running to them in order to function as clearance lights, no?
Old 11-12-15, 10:01 AM
scunyon
Rookie

Originally Posted by I'mStock
I want to do this but don't know how. I don't think it's as easy as just popping a switchback in there though as they're only blinkers in stock form so they'd need some sort of constant power running to them in order to function as clearance lights, no?
I think I'm going to have to tap the parking light next to it to use them with the parking lights as a constant on or to another constant on to use without the parking lights. Now that I think about it, I'm going to need a 7443 socket to make this work. The 7440 will only work to flash, it won't have the 3rd prong to function as a running light.
Old 11-12-15, 10:15 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

correct you will need a 3rd connection for the running light function, meaning you will need a dual filament socket like a 7443 which is NOT a direct fit into the lens. modding will need to be done, albeit very minor. it's as simple as tapping off the sidemarker light.

switchback LEDs are ideal, and i would run an LED relay (not load resistors) made for toyota/lexus vehicles so you don't get hyperflashing when using the turn signals. ebay LED relay.