LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Upgrade Alarm on LS400 1997 ? Any Recommendations ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-15, 10:28 AM
Alpha1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade Alarm on LS400 1997 ? Any Recommendations ?

I've been researching an upgrade to the factory "alarm" on my '97 LS400. Personal experience has taught me there is no failsafe protection against theft. If a thief wants your car bad enough they will take it. So I realize any alarm is just a deterrent.
Since I live on the road I could need service anywhere across North America. I've been to Best Buy since they have locations across North America and I'm going to the local Lexus dealer today for their input.
I do not want another remote, so I will need a remote that can also replace the functions of the factory remote.
Concerned about the factory electrical system becoming compromised, so I want as little alterations to the electrical system as possible.
I definitely want a Piezo Siren installed up inside the dash that sounds in conjunction w/ the alarm siren. Experience has taught me this greatly deters a thief from staying inside a car.
Other options I'm considering:
* Motion Sensor
* Engine Kill
* "noticeable" Alarm Siren
* Brighter Flashing Dash Light when alarm is activated
* Be able to locate car from my iPhone or LapTop
If you have suggestions for features, systems, brands, or experience to share please reply.
I appreciate your input & Thank you
Old 10-21-15, 11:29 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

the beauty about having a 97 is that there is an immobilizer built into the key so thieves cannot start the car without it. from then on, all newer LSs came with an immobilizer standard.

now i see you want to add more features which is understandable. personally i have not seen or had previous experience with aftermarket alarms on the LS400, which does not mean it's impossible. i've installed alarms on much simpler cars like hondas. i've also seen newer lexus cars hide a spare key near the ignition to disable the immobilizer (which to me defeats the purpose of one)!

with that said, i believe the aftermarket alarm will need to work separately from the factory alarm where the factory alarm will remain disabled while the aftermarket controls take over. this makes adding additions peripherals like motion sensor, more sirens, and even mobile controls easier.

DEI is a leader in alarm systems and i'm sure there is application there for you.
Old 10-21-15, 10:49 PM
Alpha1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might just add Piezo Siren and leave rest of system as-is . . . .

Lexus dealer referred me to a local shop. Shop's prices were $100 - $200+ more than Best Buy for same features. With Best Buy I can get service across North America, if needed. With local shop I have to go back to him.
Best Buy prices:
Doors, Hood, Trunk, Siren, Piezo Siren, Starter Kill, Shock Sensor, and 2 qty "1 way" Remotes: $300 installed.
Same as above only w/ 1 qty "2 way" remote that alerts me w/ a page if car is viiolated, and 1 qty "1 way" remote: $400 installed.
To be alerted via my iPhone and have car locater is another $200+. There is also a monthly fee for the service.
Seriously considering just adding the Piezo Siren to the factory system. At 102 - 120 decibels no one can stay in the car long enough to get it started.
Old 10-24-15, 04:11 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't know anyone with an aftermarket alarm that works perfectly past 5-7 years of age. I can't get over the nightmare aftermarket alarms become after a few years.