LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Power Steering Geyser From Reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-15, 05:39 PM
timingspd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Geyser From Reservoir

I just replaced the PS ACV on my 98 LS400 with a bolt since it was leaking PS fluid into the intake and burning it. Since I lost about 1-1.5 quarts of ATF from the system, I topped off the reservoir upon completion. I started my car with the cap closed (my mistake), then removed it a moment later. To my horror, a small geyser of PS fluid shot out, and at regular intervals another burble popped out. After stopping the car, I checked the level and found it empty to the screen.

Thinking this was air in the system, I topped it off again, and started it with the cap off. Essentially the same thing happened again.

What could possibly be causing this? I've read the tutorials I can find (and searched the forums), yet nothing mentions an ATF crime scene in my engine bay [the fluid is red after all]. The only thing I can think of is the high pressure line is clogged, so it is discharging back into the reservoir. Let me say that prior to the ACV repair, I had no noises or issues with the steering.

Any thoughts are appreciated
Old 09-25-15, 06:05 AM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Weird stuff

How long was the bolt/plug that you used in place of the ACV? It may be blocking the high pressure port, or some debris got in there.
Old 09-25-15, 06:16 AM
timingspd
Driver School Candidate

It's 10.1 mm under the head, which is shorter than the ACV threads.. I don't think any debris got in there since it's a downward facing hole (i.e. hard for stuff to fall in) and the new bolt was clean. I guess I can take it back off and see what comes out.
Old 09-25-15, 06:29 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

take the return line off and hold it over the reservoir with the car running,have someone turn the wheel back and forth...should be a steady stream of fluid going back into the reservoir..if its spittin and sputtering there is blockage
Old 09-25-15, 09:13 AM
timingspd
Driver School Candidate

The line doesn't quite reach the reservoir, but it's definitely coming out in spurts, even with the wheel not moving. There's almost no power assistance to the wheel, and it groans when turning (probably dry).

So, plugged line / plugged pump?
Old 09-25-15, 12:02 PM
AkumaUCF10
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok first and foremost whenever doing things on a p/s system you always want to burp the system. Dont turn the car on to do this, you turn the wheel from side to side full lock to full lock (even helps to tap lock a few times). Do this repeatedly till you don't see any more air bubbles coming out.

What Python said is correct with the line off and a slow steady movement of the wheel there should be a consistent stream of fluid coming out if it is sputtery there is blockage.

With everything hooked up if you hear a groan when the wheel is turning and there is no power assistance (provided that the fluid level is full) then yes it could be plugged line.

The real issue here that I can find is that you may have ruined your pump by running it dry. The reason why you bleed the rack/pump/lines/system with the car off is that air bubbles will make it back to the pump and cause fluid level in reservoir to drop, if the pump is running when this happens you risk damaging it for obvious reasons. Depending on how long it was running dry and how old the pump is you may have ruined the pump also which can cause a groan and a loss of pressure or power assist. I've typically only encountered this issue on Hondas (more specifically Acuras) because of the remote reservoir makes it easy for air pockets in the feed line to ruin pumps.
Old 09-25-15, 08:44 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

check for aeration within the system....i believe u just havent bled it correctly,i mean think about it. didnt do this before u did the job..now its doing it? whats the common ground here?