LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Talk me out of buying a 1993 LS400 !

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-15, 01:59 PM
trapmuney
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Talk me out of buying a 1993 LS400 !

Good day all,

I'm in the market for a new daily. My next choice of car is aimed to be of a vip nature, so of course the LS falls nicely into that category. I have done some research, but my results are non-conclusive. Some people say the car is a lemon, while others say it's the most reliable vehicle they've ever owned. I need the inside scoop! Thanks for reading and your replies

Here are the details:
- 130,000 kms
- No issues (So I've been told)
- $3400 asking price

- I am only 19 at the moment, and am hoping for a fairly reliable car with low maintenance costs.
- Whatever car I buy will be my daily. I do not have another car.
- The car is 22 years old

My questions are:
- What are some common repairs? When do they happen? What do they cost?
- Is this a suitable car for me? Will I be able to afford the upkeep?
- If 93 is a bad year, are second gens better or do they suffer the same?
- What cars would you recommend for less than $10k and low kms as for a vip style car?
Old 08-26-15, 02:35 PM
Nishy
Rookie

There's no real reason I see you shouldn't buy that car. I have a 1990 (mfg in 89) with 200,000+ miles (322,000km) and it runs like a champ. Silky smooth, and it'll still slide around a corner no problem. The engines are bullet proof, so with regular maintenance will keep you going forever.

Only real problems I've found or heard of are the gauges will lose some illumination a lot of the time, and the A/C and clock LCD display goes out. They're truly amazing cars and stand up to the test of time very well.
Old 08-26-15, 02:59 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Make sure it doesn't have the optional air suspension. If it does have that option, it isn't too hard to convert it to the standard coil spring/shock suspension, just an aggravation and $$$. People have said you can't really tell a difference in ride quality between the two OEM setups.

Big thing to look for is maintenance records and proof that the water pump/timing belt has been changed. The interval is every 60,000 miles I think, so it should have been done at least once. Keep in mind that the timing belt is rubber, so it will age, crack, etc. If its been over 10 years(or never!) since it was changed, I'd do it again just to be safe. Keep in mind that this is about a $600-1000 bill to have the water pump/timing belt service done.

Also how many owners does it have? It hasn't been driven much, so it should look pretty damn pristine IMO. I've noticed that with old cars, if its had one or 2 owners, they usually have had it for years and have taken great care of it. When you're on the 3rd, 4th, 5th owner, they tend to just let the car go, don't maintain it, don't wash it, and just run it into the ground so to speak.

Last edited by Aron9000; 08-26-15 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-26-15, 04:05 PM
KJG92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Power steering leak that takes out the alternator, ECU caps go bad, IAC issues and TPS issues just to add to what is listed above.
Old 08-26-15, 06:40 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

as with any used car, you need to try and get the full history of it. the car is definitely SUPER reliable but if the previous owner skipped out on regular maintenance, reliability varies!

and to clarify, timing belts are due at 90k miles interval and you are very close to it (130000 km converts to 80k miles). expect to pay about $1000 unless you can turn a wrench in which there are many threads here to show how to DIY.

low miles sure but age does not discriminate. common issues include ECU capacitors, front strut rod bushings, transmission and motor mounts, power steering leaks ($3 o-ring fix), broken gauge cluster, steering wheel tilt, torn seat bolsters. in the grand scheme of things, that is all very minor as the big stuff is reliable such as the A/C system and transmission (granted proper maintenance of course).

i say this is a very GREAT car for a first timer, though it might spoil you. since you are fairly young, consider taking a more seasoned person to look over the car for you. don't even think about modding it (you mention VIP so i am assuming the route) until the maintenance is squared away! a nice looking car is nothing when it's broken down on the side of the street.

good luck, search here for more info as we have TONS!
Old 08-26-15, 06:45 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

if you like lexus, and i highly suggest it over say a infiniti Q45, consider getting a newer model. 95-up perhaps. there are more refinements that come with newer cars, and 98-00 is the ideal years which can be had under $10k! all LS400 have the same issues i mentioned but the newer ones of course are less likely to happen soon.
Old 08-26-15, 06:45 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

The good thing about this forum is it has made dianosiging/fixing your car yourself a lot easier. For example, the leaking capacitors that short out the ECU, go to the Lexus dealer and its $1000+ for a new ECU. There is a vendor on here that fixes them for about a quarter of that price, or if you are whiz with a solider gun you can do it yourself.

Compared to a similar year Benz, BMW, or Northstar Cadillac, these cars are very cheap to maintain and extremely durable. What I really like about these old Lexus cars, yes you might have an occasional problem, but there isn't constantly something breaking every week, and all the little features like the electric seats, windows, etc stay working.
Old 08-26-15, 08:22 PM
LsG86
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To the OP, that car seem low mileage and if the exterior is in pristine condition it would seem like a decent deal. For $3400 you could prolly find a nice 95-97 model. These cars are pretty durable and cost of ownership is low especially if you can do some of the work yourself and these cars are EASY to work on! Here are my suggestions or things too look out for on any 1st gen Ls:
1. Oil leaks from valve cover gaskets, Cam and crank seals, if they never been replaced, they might need to be soon due to age.
2. Power steering pump leaking above the alternator. As the poster above said, a simple $2 o-ring fix.
3. Motor and transmission mounts. If these never been replaced, you'll want to do this with OEM/dealer parts only. The Ls will literally feel brand new!
4. If you replace the lower ball joints, consider replacing the outer tie rod ends since you have easy access.
5. Change the differential fluid if its never been changed. Any 80w-90 will do. I used Mobil1 75w-90 and I did notice a difference afterwards.
6. My opinion only, avoid that K&N air filter on a 1st gen Ls, sometimes if you put too much oil on the filter to recharge it, it can get on the mass air flow meter and trigger an engine light. Ask me how I know
7. On older Ls400s the steering wheel tilt might not function but thats a simple fix. Look up FAQ.
Old 08-27-15, 02:04 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I say get a 2002 or so Cadillac and slam it to the ground. Please don't ruin an LS400.
An old LS can be a can of worms just waiting to be opened. Just read about all the issues everyone has.
The newer ones have more goodies so a 98 would be a good one.
Old 08-27-15, 09:41 PM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

They were mostly owned by people who were older and had money, you can get them in very nice condition, they are very reliable and very well built, lemon, that is as far from a LS as you can get.

However, its a boring car, its reliable, has a V8, and looks cool, but its primary job is to take the fun out of driving, isolate you from the world, and commute silently and nice.

What 19yr old wants a boring car? Forget the VIP thing and get a fun car that is cheap on Gas\Insurance\Parts like an RSX or Civic or Celica, you'll tire of the LS after not long and wish you'd have gotten something more fun.
Old 08-28-15, 04:56 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kingsoup
They were mostly owned by people who were older and had money, you can get them in very nice condition, they are very reliable and very well built, lemon, that is as far from a LS as you can get.

However, its a boring car, its reliable, has a V8, and looks cool, but its primary job is to take the fun out of driving, isolate you from the world, and commute silently and nice.

What 19yr old wants a boring car? Forget the VIP thing and get a fun car that is cheap on Gas\Insurance\Parts like an RSX or Civic or Celica, you'll tire of the LS after not long and wish you'd have gotten something more fun.
All three of those cars you mentioned have hideously expensive insurance rates for young people. The LS would be much cheaper for a 19 year old to insure.
Old 08-28-15, 11:34 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I really don't understand why a 19 year old wants to drive a car designed for a 60 year old.
So what does VIP stand for? Very Idiotic People that is what came to mind when I first saw a car all funked out and was called vip.
Old 08-28-15, 02:25 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Reliability is subjective on 20 yr old lexus. It's boring as hell but can be reliable. If you feel the urge to measure 0-60 at stop lights this car isn't for you
Old 08-30-15, 02:35 PM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

A 4door civic has more driving feel then a LS, sometime I like my car, but it sure isn't a replacement for something sporty. Also it takes premium fuel, isn't the the most efficent, I'd super recommend a fun fuel efficent but sporty handling car for someone 19, figure out what is low on insurance, 2001 Accord Coupe is a good car, I mean the list is endless, test drive a LS then other cars, you'll see the difference, it literally has no steering feel, that ain't fun! but good in traffic!
Old 08-30-15, 05:42 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

My rule of thumb is not to buy a car older than than me

Quick Reply: Talk me out of buying a 1993 LS400 !