LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Is this a good buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-15, 08:24 PM
lexsuss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good buy?

So I'll start off by saying I'm 14 and could spend around 900 on a car right now. But I think I could get this guy down on his price quite a bit. http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/5153094480.html

I know that it needs work, probably some non cut springs (probably some H&R with a 1" lower) so the struts don't blow, and the steering wheel which should just be the gear, and then the power steering (idle-up valve?) needs to be plugged so it stops leaking. Other than that if I get a report on the VIN and it all comes back pretty normal should I try to get it for like $500?
Old 08-15-15, 10:31 PM
LsG86
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I commend you for looking at a Ls400 at such an young age, you seem wise beyond your years. I bought my first Ls400 when I was 23. But back on topic.
You have to decide if the car is worth investing $$$ for repairs. Few things jump out at me:
1. The driver seat is grey versus tan for the rest of the car. Not a big deal.
2. The ad says the cars is "straight piped" so it will be loud. Me personally I like my Lexus quite. All tho some do like that loud noise.
3. It is sitting on "cut springs" so it rides rough. Will you be okay with that? You definitely need to replace the springs.
If you can get a running car for $500, you really can't beat that.
Not trying to discourage you at all but I would pass. By all means check it out, that car can go atleast to 300k miles
Old 08-15-15, 10:40 PM
lexsuss
Driver School Candidate

A new driver seat on craigslist is around $150 so it's not that bad, I'd probably just get a seat cover until I got a job. I'm fine with the straight piping, and yeah, if the cut springs are really bad I'll probably change out for stock springs or some cheap lowering springs, and maybe aftermarket struts if the ones in the car are blown. I'll try to go check it out. Thank you very much for the input! (If I end up getting the car can I get the title and get it registered but hold off on insuring it until I have my permit?)
Old 08-15-15, 11:19 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I was younger than you when I got my first car, it was 13 years old and junk as compared to what a 20 some year old lexus is, it had rusty floors and a real bad paint job with primer here and there.
Since you want to modify your car, I say this is a great car for you. He says firm on the price so he likely will only go 100 down from his price.
If your going to upgrade the wheels and they are super nice stock ones I'd be interested.

Last edited by dicer; 08-15-15 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-16-15, 05:15 AM
AandSC
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it were me I would keep looking. That car has obviously been unloved and poorly maintained. Hard to tell how many problems aren't listed.
Old 08-16-15, 05:20 AM
lexsuss
Driver School Candidate

How bad could the problems not listed be? And I don't know where I'm going to find a better deal than this
Old 08-16-15, 05:32 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by lexsuss
A new driver seat on craigslist is around $150 so it's not that bad, I'd probably just get a seat cover until I got a job. I'm fine with the straight piping, and yeah, if the cut springs are really bad I'll probably change out for stock springs or some cheap lowering springs, and maybe aftermarket struts if the ones in the car are blown. I'll try to go check it out. Thank you very much for the input! (If I end up getting the car can I get the title and get it registered but hold off on insuring it until I have my permit?)
I don't know the law in Wash, but it's usually impossible to register a car without insurance. Some towns have laws about unregistered vehicles parked in residential areas outside the garage. So, if you can't register it, you may not be able to park it in the driveway.
I hope you can work this out. Sounds like you understand the time and money commitment for a dirt cheap car with potential.
Old 08-16-15, 05:53 AM
lexsuss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by swfla
I don't know the law in Wash, but it's usually impossible to register a car without insurance. Some towns have laws about unregistered vehicles parked in residential areas outside the garage. So, if you can't register it, you may not be able to park it in the driveway.
I hope you can work this out. Sounds like you understand the time and money commitment for a dirt cheap car with potential.
Seems like it's legal here from this page http://www.dmv.org/wa-washington/car-registration.php .
Old 08-16-15, 08:28 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

It appears that you can register without insurance in WA. Good going!
Old 08-16-15, 08:29 AM
LsG86
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want get it, have the car checked by a qualified mechanic if possible, make sure you're not buying a lemon.

True story, my little cousin bought a 95 Ls400 for $1000 or 1300, we all thought it was a good deal, come to find out the car had blown head gaskets, bad catalytic converters, and 3 nonworking fuel injectors. The car have been sitting ever since he bought it earlier this year.
Old 08-16-15, 08:34 AM
lexsuss
Driver School Candidate

Is there any way to figure out if the head gasket is blown without being a mechanic? Same with the fuel injectors? The cat's I could just cut out if they were bad. Doesn't seem that worth to get it inspected. And can't you get working fuel injectors for like $40 a piece?

Last edited by lexsuss; 08-16-15 at 08:35 AM. Reason: price
Old 08-16-15, 09:10 AM
AandSC
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lexsuss
How bad could the problems not listed be? And I don't know where I'm going to find a better deal than this
Let me give you a few items that can make a good deal not such a good deal:

- Has the cooling system been maintained? If not, are you ready to replace radiator and other cooling system components?
- When was the timing belt and associated components changed?
- Has the brake fluid ever been flushed? How are the brake lines? How are the rotors and pads?
- How is the weatherstripping? If it's old and brittle have you priced new weatherstripping?
- Is there a record of routine oil changes? If not, are you ready to replace the engine?
- Since it's a higher mileage older car that has had abnormal camber settings and other suspension work, how are the front and rear suspension?
- Has the power steering pump leak been leaking into the alternator? How is the steering rack?
- When was the last time it had new spark plugs, rotors and plug wires?
- Has the transmission fluid had routine maintenance completed?
- Has the differential fluid ever been changed? Any metal on the drain plug?

You would need to know the condition of all these things to know if it's a good deal or not. I was in the market for an older Ferrarri about a year ago and although I could afford the car I couldn't afford the $12,000 a year in maintenance that is typically required for a Modena.

Not trying to burst your bubble with this car, just trying to help you make a fully informed decision.
Old 08-16-15, 09:22 AM
lexsuss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AandSC
Let me give you a few items that can make a good deal not such a good deal:

- Has the cooling system been maintained? If not, are you ready to replace radiator and other cooling system components?
- When was the timing belt and associated components changed?
- Has the brake fluid ever been flushed? How are the brake lines? How are the rotors and pads?
- How is the weatherstripping? If it's old and brittle have you priced new weatherstripping?
- Is there a record of routine oil changes? If not, are you ready to replace the engine?
- Since it's a higher mileage older car that has had abnormal camber settings and other suspension work, how are the front and rear suspension?
- Has the power steering pump leak been leaking into the alternator? How is the steering rack?
- When was the last time it had new spark plugs, rotors and plug wires?
- Has the transmission fluid had routine maintenance completed?
- Has the differential fluid ever been changed? Any metal on the drain plug?

You would need to know the condition of all these things to know if it's a good deal or not. I was in the market for an older Ferrarri about a year ago and although I could afford the car I couldn't afford the $12,000 a year in maintenance that is typically required for a Modena.

Not trying to burst your bubble with this car, just trying to help you make a fully informed decision.
He doesn't know the answers to a lot of those things, he did say that he'd recommend putting non-cut springs though. What I do know is that he's put on about 500 miles since he's had the car in June, and all he has had to replace is the ignition. And he did also say that he's topped off and made sure that all the fluids are good but he hasn't done any maintenance.
Old 08-16-15, 09:42 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Lexsuss, you sound like you're very smart, based on your questions and how you're approaching this. Yes, there could be hidden land mines in this thing, but there will always be a risk. It sounds like it can be made into a good car, and you sound like you'd be able to do it.

You'll learn a lot in the process too. I'd say go for it. You may be able to get it for less than $800. $500 would be a steal. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 08-16-15, 10:01 AM
lexsuss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Lexsuss, you sound like you're very smart, based on your questions and how you're approaching this. Yes, there could be hidden land mines in this thing, but there will always be a risk. It sounds like it can be made into a good car, and you sound like you'd be able to do it.

You'll learn a lot in the process too. I'd say go for it. You may be able to get it for less than $800. $500 would be a steal. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Thanks oldskewel I would definitely try to make it into a good car, If I can get it for $500 that would be awesome. If there is any crazy problems with it I'll try to keep it somewhere until I get a job and can make it running again, otherwise I'd part out as much as I could from it and then junk the rest.

Quick Reply: Is this a good buy?