LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Supercharged LS.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-03, 07:21 PM
Vik
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Supercharged LS.

Guys,
There is one company located next suburb from mine. I found it because my girlfriend works there. They do not actually make supercharged Lexuses but they produce their own superchargers and make their own performance car based on 1UZ-FE Lexus V8. And I think they may make/convert conventional Lexus to supercharged model.

I can ask them if they do or not. And if they do - get you a quote.

It is not an advertisement of any kind but I think it may be quite interesting for those who want boost their Lex.

http://www.fastlane.com.au/Custom_Shed/AEC_Bullet.htm
Old 04-01-03, 06:22 AM
TomWahjudi
Driver

Default SC Kit

They need to make a bolt-on SC kit for 1UZ-FE. I'm pretty sure he can sell a few dozens in the US alone.
Old 04-01-03, 09:28 PM
dunn378
Pole Position

GOOD JOB!!!
Old 04-02-03, 06:16 AM
Vik
Driver

It seems they do have bolt-on kit.
Asked quote today. They quoted price to be about $3500 AUD ($2100 US). Main part is supercharger itself (about $2000 AUD) + job + parts.
It may cost cheaper for only a kit.

That's it
Old 04-02-03, 08:55 AM
TomWahjudi
Driver

If this US$2100 includes all the pieces (including timing advance and fuel enrichment methods) and nothing needs to be cut/welded (basically what the term "bolt on" refers to). It should be cheaper since there is no labor involved, right ?

Let's say US$1900 plus shipping from down under. That undercuts any TRD blower package by around $1000 or more. Is he willing to do it ? This is getting interesting.
Old 04-02-03, 04:04 PM
dunn378
Pole Position

does anybody know how many psi this kit offers or are there any dyno numbers? your right this is sounding very interesting!!!
Old 04-02-03, 05:43 PM
Vik
Driver

Originally posted by dunn378
does anybody know how many psi this kit offers or are there any dyno numbers? your right this is sounding very interesting!!!
I can ask any questions for you. Just list all questions you want to be asked

Here they say supercharged engine produces staggering 320kW and 550Nm.
http://www.tyremaster.com.au/press_r...o_supercar.htm

I don't think they may be interested in producing small number of SC kits but if number of real requests will be more than say 10 or 15 they may start thinking about it. Who knows...
Old 04-03-03, 05:34 AM
TomWahjudi
Driver

Default Questions

Don't mind if I do

1. Is this thing a complete bolt on ? If not, anything needs to be cut/welded ? Is everything needed included in the kit ?
2. What kind/type of supercharger ?
3. What boost level ? If it's high enough, does it need intercooling and/or water injection ?
4. What kind of fuel enrichment ? Are larger injectors/fuel pump needed ?
5. What kind of timing adjustment ? Does it need ignition upgrades ?
6. Does the sc have bypass mode for cruising ?
7. How about spare parts ? Especially belt and lubrication for the SC unit.
8. Is the stock ECU enough ? Can the stock tranny/TCU handle the increased power ?
9. Can I see the installation manual ?
10. Are they willing to make complete bolt-on kits if we can get, say, 10 orders ?
11. Roughly, what is shipping to US ?
11. Last but not least, is this thing upgradeable ?

Let's see if that is enough questions

BTW, 320 kW ~ 429 hp and 550 NM ~ 406 ft-lb for us the ancient folks I don't know about the rest of you, but those numbers are enough for me.
Old 04-03-03, 12:44 PM
dunn378
Pole Position

Talking

thanks for clearing up those hp ratings. i'm with u that sound like enough power FOR NOW!!! how do u calculate the ratings?

Last edited by dunn378; 04-03-03 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-03-03, 01:37 PM
TomWahjudi
Driver

Default Conversion

Well, somehow the number for horsepower - kW conversion stuck in my mind. 1 horsepower = 746 watt. So, in order to convert from kW, you divide the kW with 0.746 and you get horsepower. The torque conversion I never remember so I just fired up one of those online conversion websites and VOILA !

As for the power rating, that's enough for me, really Larger than that we'll probably talking about lower compression pistons and custom engine management system. Although, I have this crazy idea about a "tricharged" 1UZ-FE. One supercharger coupled with a pair of huge turbos, probably in the size of a T04E or larger, but that will need much more to just run reliably. If the MR2 people can have twincharged MR2s, maybe we can do tricharged LS400s Turbo lag will be non-existent like in my bro's twincharged MR2, a tiny 1.6l 4 cyl spins a T3/T4 hybrid like it's just a hair dryer.

In any rate, enough about daydreaming Let's see how this SC kit turn out first.
Old 04-03-03, 06:53 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

wow.. i want that engine..
Old 04-03-03, 07:48 PM
Vik
Driver

Default Re: Questions

Originally posted by TomWahjudi
Don't mind if I do

1. Is this thing a complete bolt on ? If not, anything needs to be cut/welded ? Is everything needed included in the kit ?
2. What kind/type of supercharger ?
3. What boost level ? If it's high enough, does it need intercooling and/or water injection ?
4. What kind of fuel enrichment ? Are larger injectors/fuel pump needed ?
5. What kind of timing adjustment ? Does it need ignition upgrades ?
6. Does the sc have bypass mode for cruising ?
7. How about spare parts ? Especially belt and lubrication for the SC unit.
8. Is the stock ECU enough ? Can the stock tranny/TCU handle the increased power ?
9. Can I see the installation manual ?
10. Are they willing to make complete bolt-on kits if we can get, say, 10 orders ?
11. Roughly, what is shipping to US ?
11. Last but not least, is this thing upgradeable ?
Here are the answers.
They do not produce these kits as separate kits because they don't have real orders but may start to.

1) They say it's complete bolt-on but may not fit under the hood when installed. They haven't done it for Lexus in particular. At current stage kit does not include all parts but it's not a problem.
2) it's 2 screw supercharger. Dunno what that means.
3) Boost level 9 pound but maybe 15 to 20 with current model. Intercooling is not needed/Water injection very desirable.
4) Didn't get answer about fuel enrichment and injectors. Pump needed.
5) Timing not clear. Ignition standard.
6) Yes. SC has bypass mode.
7) Spare parts will be available if required.
8) ECU is enough. Not clear about tranny as they didn't try it on Lexus.
9) manual doesn't exist yet.
10) Yes. Definitely.
11) not clear again. but they are willing to ship it anywhere.
12) Yes. New SC is coming.

13) Price quoted may be different But they did make it clear. More kits less price.
Old 04-03-03, 08:03 PM
TomWahjudi
Driver

Vik,

Thank you for being a mediator, you do an excellent job, but his answers only make me thirst for more information. Is there any way that we can get him on board ? Are there pictures of install ? With 9 psi, what power level ? With 15 to 20 psi, what's the power level ? Any extensive mods needed going from 9 to 15-20 psi ? Any other details ?

This just drives me nuts
Old 04-04-03, 12:24 AM
Vik
Driver

Originally posted by TomWahjudi
Vik,
Thank you for being a mediator, you do an excellent job, but his answers only make me thirst for more information. Is there any way that we can get him on board ? Are there pictures of install ? With 9 psi, what power level ? With 15 to 20 psi, what's the power level ? Any extensive mods needed going from 9 to 15-20 psi ? Any other details ?
I think we can.
As guy said 9psi is standard they use for Bullet car. And I assume with 9 psi you have 320Kw.
To get more information you need to ask more questions. And I must confess I'm not a good mediator because I'm not technitian and I'm not native speaker. I still miss some details.
If you need information from the first hands give them a call but mind time difference.

http://www.advancedengine.com - you can get contacts from here.

And I think I can get some pictures. The only problem - I've got no digital camera.
Old 04-04-03, 06:47 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you guys checked out this site?
www.carbontech.com.au
Click on the car on the left; see Lexus parts in the index...

I want some of their cams myself,but they don't seem to answer emails,so I don't get any.

Quick Reply: Supercharged LS.