LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Hello! anyone ever have a Driver side rear sagging issue.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-15, 10:26 PM
Tiagz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello! anyone ever have a Driver side rear sagging issue.

Hello. I just had a very detailed message and got logged out due to photobucket taking forever to upload my files.

So I am gonna do this point form, have a 91 UCF10, sat 7 years. we are fixing her up now.

all engine / transmission work has been completed, vehicle runs flawlessly!

about an inch lower on the driver side rear. Cant figure out why, have some theories and some definite components to change but not 100%

Have tried a spare strut/spring assembly with no change. Found a blown differential cushion in the rear sub frame.

(not how I jack the car up. just trying to simulate what a good bush would be like)

so we pulled the diff and will be changing this bushing. However with the differential out I put the vehicle back on the ground due to having to wait a week for the bushing. I expected the ride height to be the same without the diff as those bushings are now unloaded. It is not. the whole rear end sits higher but still sags on the driver side!

There is some play in the other sub frame bushings but very little if any in the upper control arms or rest of suspension minus trailing arms,which wouldn't affect ride height. . I am wondering if this could be the issue? or anyone who has experienced this? Is this why people go coilovers?

Our LS was imported from Texas and needs to go through a Canadian out of province inspection, ride height being this off could make it fail. it only has 132K miles is it common these bushings go out this soon? Or maybe dry rot from sitting.

I am not sure where to go next. I think pulling the subframe and having it out of the car will really be the best way to see if something is bent. Also Im trying to score another 91ls400 for 600$ and may just spend a day to swap the subframe from that vehicle if I can haggle him on price (he started doing starter than rage quit... so another mess to clean up)

This is how high it sits without the differential on the passenger side. So maybe this side is too high? versus driver is sagging. Either way somethings up. I don't have the best comparison pictures but just picture a 1" drop on the other side.

*** Please relevant posts to the topic only.

Last edited by Tiagz; 06-21-15 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-21-15, 12:36 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I would use the special rubber pad on that jack. Not only will metal on metal screw things up, it can slip off.
Old 06-21-15, 10:18 AM
Tiagz
Driver School Candidate

I have never had an issue lifting from the differential without pad / wood on this car, my WRX or any of the many jeep or trucks that I work on . But really interested in input on the ride height issue. at this point I could lift the vehicle up from the door frame and It would not matter because If I don't fix the ride height this LS400 will never see the roads.

Another question is where do people order these suspension bushings from

I cannot find online any of the subframe bushings. (2 front, 2 rear)

I am starting to think it has shifted. the complex multi link rear end represents a rectangle. I believe its shifted to a parallelogram causing one side to sag and the other to rise potentially. still having issue with the Why. feel like pulling the subframe out today but reluctant since I cannot source new bushings

Last edited by Tiagz; 06-21-15 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-22-15, 06:08 AM
imspencer
Driver School Candidate

I have a '96 that I have owned for about 4-5 years. It is also a Texas car w/ 157k miles and I have been experiencing this somewhat same problem. The car rides soft on the drivers rear and feels overly firm on the right front. What baffles me is that this goes away at various times after driving and usually after some sweeping right turn or left leaning lane angle. And the left rear will be just as firm as the right. The car will feel planted as it should for good while. And then it will go back to being soft again.

My first thoughts have been toward carrier and spindle bushing wear. But, somethings keeps bringing back to the sub frame alignment shifting. And maybe both front and rear. So, I am all ears as to what you or anyone else might come up with solving this.