LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Lowering a 93 LS400 on coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-15, 01:01 PM
PBrown400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering a 93 LS400 on coilovers

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the Lexus scene and have not long owned my 93 LS400 which I love. I'm based in the UK.

I have recently bought and fitted some BC Racing coilovers as I ultimately want to achieve a really low 'stanced' look with some nice wheels. Currently running stock wheels.

My issue is; I was only using it for a couple of days, it was running quite low on the coilovers, and the front wheel has rubbed through the inner arch and through the wiring loom!! A load of lights came on the dash, took it into the garage and they found the loom in the wing had been damaged by the wheel rubbing through it.

We have now relocated the loom slightly further up into the wing but the loom is really thick! We have raised the suspension slightly but obviously I want it slammed.

My question is, what needs to be done and how much work is involved to successfully slam an LS400, especially when it is running bigger, wider, more aggressive fitting wheels?? The last thing I want is for it to cause more damage to stuff!

Ie. Do inner arches need to be removed? Arches rolled/pulled? Any tips on getting the wiring loom right out of the way and keeping it there?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-29-15, 01:49 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

wow you are indeed SUPER low if you are eating into the loom already! you can move the wires to the engine bay but that is a bit harder. this is what one member did to his loom to get moar lows!

Originally Posted by SERIALNINE
While the fenders were off I decided it was the perfect time to tuck my wires. I managed to just unplug the harness on both sides and pull it up and through. Previously I would have just drill some holes and zip tie the harness up, but this time I made some small little tabs and tacked them in place.

I like this more then having the wires run on top of the strut towers in the engine bay

most aftermarket tire/wheel sets are usually a slightly smaller profile that the OEM tires/wheels so if you can fit OEM you should be able to fit aftermarket. this is for upper inner fender clearance.

for outer fender clearance, wheels offset, tire size, and amount of drop all come into play as well!
Old 04-30-15, 11:41 AM
PBrown400
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the response, those pics are handy!

Any other common issues with these cars when going super low?
Old 04-30-15, 07:57 PM
matcotj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PBrown400
Thanks for the response, those pics are handy!

Any other common issues with these cars when going super low?
I'll say search a lil on builts section You find out all the problems that it takes to be super low.
Hopefully I'll be staying on my drop soon ! Good luck !
Upload some Picts

Last edited by matcotj; 04-30-15 at 08:38 PM.