LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Bright Lights, Dim City...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-03, 09:48 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bright Lights, Dim City...

When I press the gas my headlights get brighter, when I hit the brake they dim a little. Does it both sitting still or driving down the road. Is that normal (my 99 es doesn't do this) or does it mean the alt or battery is going bad? Maybe the v-belt is to tight or loose? Any ideas?

Last edited by spxChrome; 03-15-03 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-16-03, 04:29 PM
LS400
Club Lexus Editor

Default Re: Bright Lights, Dim City...

Originally posted by spxChrome
When I press the gas my headlights get brighter, when I hit the brake they dim a little. Does it both sitting still or driving down the road. Is that normal (my 99 es doesn't do this) or does it mean the alt or battery is going bad? Maybe the v-belt is to tight or loose? Any ideas?
From your scenario, it is the alternator. Have have a someone check and measure the voltage when the car is at idle to see how it differs from voltage throughout higher RPM-ranges. But in some cases, the battery could be the one at fault. I'd have the dealership (or your mechanic) check both out.
Old 03-18-03, 12:17 PM
Marx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same problem with my 92, except mine's so bad that sometimes when I step on the brake, my radio shuts off. I just had a new battery put in, so I'm sure my alternator is starting to go.
Old 03-18-03, 04:41 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Marx
I'm having the same problem with my 92, except mine's so bad that sometimes when I step on the brake, my radio shuts off. I just had a new battery put in, so I'm sure my alternator is starting to go.
woah thats bad. i remember the headlights on my 95ES dimmed very noticeably when u stepped on the brakes. i think my '03 Subaru sorta does it too though.
Old 03-18-03, 07:43 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bright Lights, Dim City...

Originally posted by spxChrome
No offense meant:

BUT

In my brief XX months on CL, I have yet to see/read/hear of a Lex with so much problems as yours
If it is not one thing, it is another. If i were you, I'd get rid of this vehicle, just too much things going wrong ALL at the same time (appears so, to me)

Good luck with this vehicle, but I won't hold on to it if I were you
Old 03-18-03, 08:18 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

ROFL - Alot of it has to do with the fact that I just bought the car 2 weeks ago. And to top if off I bought it site unseen off the internet. If I knew what I knew now I would have asked more detailed questions. But the guy said the car was like new, drove like new blah blah blah (even told me it had the 90K service with the timing belt). Come to find out all they did was change the oil at 90K. What pisses me off about that is he showed me the service book an the Lexus dealership in Palm City, FL stamped the book with a 90K service done.

Plus I guess my 99 ES spoiled me, I haven't had one ounce of trouble with it and I thougth all lexi was like my 99. But, this guy didn't fix anything. Just rode it until it was to much broken and then sold it. I figured even if I had to put a few dollars in it would still be a great deal. I don't have the cash to just go out and buy a new LS. Plus I love the 1st Gen Body style.

I have seriously thought about ditching it but I got so much invested in it now I would be getting it with out lube.

And I have had fun learning about the car(s) and meeting alot of helpful people here at club lexus. I guess you could say I have a new hobby now Just an expensive one

If I am pestering anyone just ignore me

Last edited by spxChrome; 03-18-03 at 08:39 PM.