LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-15, 08:53 AM
Nguyenrrr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliability?

Hi, im fairly new to the ls models. I used to own a 2nd gen gs300, sold it to get a 2013 accord.
I'm interested in purchasing another lexus, the ls400. My question is how reliable are they? I hear they can go well over 200+k miles. But id want to know how reliable their suspension/lighting/transmission hold when they hit high mileage?
Old 02-05-15, 12:21 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I think suspension is the least reliable thing on these cars. Gen 1's Moon roof and trunk leaks are not fun.
Engine can become a leaker, transmissions can go 300k plus. Power steering problems. Others say the newer ones are better so Lexus must have fixed some of the problems on them, though a good search will turn up lots of suspension problems even up to the 460's. LS suspensions just don't last long. Its kind of disappointing for what was a very very costly car at the time to have these problems so soon in life.
Old 02-05-15, 06:28 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I would go out to just simply say that these are some of, if not THE most reliable cars ever built. Yes, they are not perfect by any means, but judging from how neglected mine was when i first purchased it, and how well it cleaned up, I am totally sold on always owning an LS from here forwards.
Old 02-05-15, 08:33 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The ls400 is the world's 5th most reliable car with more than 100k miles. The lx, landcruiser, and 4Runner are in essence the same truck. I have one and they are very good. Toyota rules

Top 10 Quality Index Rating

Toyota Land Cruiser

Lexus LX

Toyota 4Runner

Ford E250

Lexus LS

Toyota Sequoia

Toyota Avalon

Lexus GX

Ford Excursion

Toyota Highlander

http://tradeinqualityindex.com/

Last edited by sam12345; 02-05-15 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-05-15, 08:42 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Worst cars with over 100k
Bottom 10 Quality Index Rating
Lincoln LS

Land Rover Discovery

Cadillac Catera

MINI Cooper

Mini Cooper

Suzuki Verona

Mazda Millenia

Mazda CX-7

Land Rover Freelander

ISUZU Axiom
Old 02-06-15, 11:15 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

the LS will be more reliable than your 2nd gen GS, which is pretty solid as you should know. the main components on the car (engine, transmission, and AC systems) are the most solid when properly maintained. timing belt every 90k, a drain/fill of ATF fluid, and just generally running the AC keeps things in order. finding a well maintained car is the challenge...
Old 02-06-15, 07:38 PM
Nguyenrrr
Rookie

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
the LS will be more reliable than your 2nd gen GS, which is pretty solid as you should know. the main components on the car (engine, transmission, and AC systems) are the most solid when properly maintained. timing belt every 90k, a drain/fill of ATF fluid, and just generally running the AC keeps things in order. finding a well maintained car is the challenge...
Most ls400's i find are going for 8-10k, with 100+k miles, which im ok with lol
Old 02-06-15, 09:01 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
I Got an ls and a gs and a 4Runner. The ls is a 92 and it is very well made the GS is more like an every day toyota in quality but I prefer the gs
Old 02-07-15, 07:38 AM
Yamae

Received 854 Likes on 646 Posts

I maintain 2 cars. One is a 96 Mercedes S500 and the other is a 98 JDM Celsior which is equivalent with a USDM LS400. S500 needs me the maintenance jobs more than 10 times compared with my Celsior. I haven't had any major problem on my Celsior for the last 5 years, but S500 had more than 5 times. Every year, I had some major serious problems on it.
Old 02-08-15, 04:16 PM
BWLS400
Rookie

I have two LS's and couldn't be happier wit them. I have driven a lot of cars and these are among the best, even for their age. Like timmy0tool said, finding a well maintained one will be the key to how long it lasts post purchase.
Old 02-08-15, 06:24 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a 1991 ls400 and its the greatest car ever built. My wife has a new 4 runner. We also have a 06 ML350 and its real nice but truly a POS when it comes to reliability. You cant give these cars away thats why we still own it.
Old 02-08-15, 06:39 PM
Mocchan
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm currently on my first LS400 with 225k miles. I must say, as long as you maintain them, they will last forever. This is the most solid car I have ever owned.. I'm still shocked as to how peppy the engine feels, how smooth and crisp the shifts are, and how solid the feel overall is.

After looking through the novel of a maintenance history this car has, I've noted that it's had regular maintenance (all done at Lexus) either on time or before it was due. Timing belt and water pump every 60k, recently had EGR pipe replaced before my purchase, and tons more. The only thing wrong with the car when I purchased it was a bad wheel bearing ($250 fix).

Old 03-02-15, 08:38 AM
renchmonki
Driver School Candidate

Mine has 260K+ and still rides like it came out of the assembly line last week. Dropped on Megan tracks and very firm ride. I know there is a white LS floating around the web with 900K on the original engine, tranny, etc. I heard the new owner of it who just bought it is gonna try and take it to a million miles.
Old 03-02-15, 10:04 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As others have said, the keep to the reliability of these cars is maintenance. that said, even if the car does not have a perfect maintenance record, spending a little more money and doing a few of the "while you are in there" jobs will bring the car back to it's rock solid reliability.

Originally Posted by dicer
I think suspension is the least reliable thing on these cars.
....though a good search will turn up lots of suspension problems even up to the 460's. LS suspensions just don't last long. Its kind of disappointing for what was a very very costly car at the time to have these problems so soon in life.
i'm not sure WTF you are talking about, the suspensions on these cars is amazing reliable. there are numerous LS's which are deep in to the 100+k miles and still have essentially stock suspensions. About the only problem these cars have is how quickly the suspension degrades once you slam the car and shred the bushing because they were not properly index for the lowered ride height. beyond that, there aren't many flaws in the 95+ cars short of the carrier bushings.

you also have to remember these cars are 15-25 years old now so you cannot expect the OE suspension bushings and hard parts not to be nearing their end of life. any other car would be on it's 2nd or 3rd set of parts where most LS's are still on their first.
Old 03-02-15, 10:22 AM
LsG86
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mines is a 97Ls (all stock), got it in March of 2010 from BMW of Dallas for 6500 it only had 90k on it. The car literally looked freaking brand new inside and out, it also came with an air suspension, after one test drive I said I'll take. It. I heard a doctor traded it in for a new beamer. I can imagine he only used this car for the heated driver seat and when it stop working he said time for a new car. Now I have 178k on the car and she drives just as good if not better than when I got it. I do all the work on my car myself(except starter), its fun and I save BIG$$$. I'm still on my original upper control arms.
The suspension problems are overrated in my opinion, up front replace upper control arms, ball joint, and strut rod bushing and the rear axle carrier bushing in rear and the car will ride like new. I will ride my Ls til the wheels come off. One negative is the starter location, it a real pain to get out.

Quick Reply: Reliability?