LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

valves and lifters

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-03, 11:31 AM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default valves and lifters

Just got through putting on plugs, wires,rotors and caps but now there is a ticking noise?

Is there anyway to disrubt the valves or lifters when changing valves, lifters or caps?
Old 03-10-03, 02:14 PM
tenpointed
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that after you replace the cap and rotor you need to re-adjust the timing. That is something you should have a mechanic do unless you have experience with this. Having your timing off a couple of degrees may cause that ticking noise which may actually be a small mis-fire.

s there anyway to disrubt the valves or lifters when changing valves, lifters or caps
Are you sure you changed the valves & lifters? If so, they were definitely disrupted.
Old 03-10-03, 02:43 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Typo,

I changed plugs, wires, rotors and caps. no it ticks a little.

I didn't know if valves and lifters were disrubted during the change.

had timing belt done last week. i was told long as it didn't move it was ok and it is controled by the computer anyway?

Anybody want to clairify if the timing belt needs to be adjusted after changeing plugs, wires, rotors and caps? The belt was not touched during this change.

tks
Old 03-10-03, 04:48 PM
tenpointed
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should get the timing checked anyway since you changed the cap & rotor.
Old 03-11-03, 08:23 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Have the ignition timing checked.

The ticking sound could be a number of things. This may be the result of the recent work or could be unrelated and just coincidental.

Ticking could be a lifter or valve lash out of spec but could also be a plug wire arcing (damaged or not seated correctly) or could even be a loose spark plug. I have see an engine running with a loose plug. On every cycle it would "tick" as the combustion snapped it into the threads and then the intake stroke would pull it back. This is not good on any engine but very bad on aluminun heads. Now, I am not saying this is your problem but if the noise started when the work was done... check it out.
Old 03-11-03, 08:31 AM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

When you put in new plugs, rotors, caps and wires does it affect the valve or lifters?
Old 03-17-03, 08:06 PM
Pilot
Rookie

Spxchrome

Plugs, wires, and cap have nothing to do with the valve lifters. It may be that your engine is running smoother so now you hear the ticking noise. The valves might need adjusting. It is not a simple task, as there are shims involved in the valve lash adjustment. I think the factory repair manual calls for a valve adjustment around the 100K mark, but I am not sure. If you do have them adjusted, make sure you replace the valve cover gaskets, and not attempt to use the old ones.

Pilot
91 LS400
01 RX300
Old 03-17-03, 08:26 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Do I dare ask how much this would cost? I asked the dealer if it could be the valves and he said they hardly ever need replacing. He said at my milage (96k) the engine was just getting broke in.

Plus he said he has only seen a few LS that need valve adjustments and it was usually only the back (#8) valve. He said if it was a valve you would know it.
Old 03-17-03, 08:44 PM
Pilot
Rookie

The dealer is correct in stating that few LS's have needed valve adjustment. My 91 LS has 135K and is very quiet. You will have to decide how loud it is, and how much it bothers you. I doubt it will cause any damage to the engine etc.
If it were my car, I would run 1 QT of Marvel Mystery oil, (Wal Mart) for 1000 miles, then drain oil and filter and use what brand of oil you want. The MMO will gently clean the inside of your engine slightly, not to much and will free up any sticky hydraulic lifters which might be the cause for the ticking noise. I run MMO in all my cars, motorcycles, lawnmower etc, once per year in the oil, and every few months in the gas. You should mix 1oz MMO to each gallon of gas. It will clean up your piston rings, and all enternal parts, as well as the entire fuel system when used in the gas. Won't hurt a thing, and might solve your problem.
I just bought my daughter a used Nissan Xterra which has 61K miles. I put a full quart of MMO in a full tank of fuel, to clean the fuel system. I also changed to Mobli 1 oil. Changed the fuel filter, airfilter, PCV, brake fluid, trans fluid, diff oil, and flushed the radiator etc. I generally stick with OEM filters, as they are light years in quality over aftermarket part stores.

Pilot
Old 03-17-03, 09:08 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Thanks Pilot.

That is an interesting repsone. I would like hear more comments on the Marvel Mystery Oil from Walmart. Anybody else have sucess/failure using this product?
Old 03-17-03, 09:37 PM
Pilot
Rookie

Here are some web sites that talk about Marvel Mystery Oil.

www.danford.net/marvel.htm

http://pulsar.westmont.edu/aeronca/faq/mmo.html

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/rodi/chmm013.html

http://yarchive.net/car/marvel_mystery_oil.html

http://www.boats.com/content/default...contentid=2804
Old 03-17-03, 09:39 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

cool, thanks, I will check them out.
Old 03-17-03, 11:30 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Pilot
The dealer is correct in stating that few LS's have needed valve adjustment. My 91 LS has 135K and is very quiet. You will have to decide how loud it is, and how much it bothers you. I doubt it will cause any damage to the engine etc.
If it were my car, I would run 1 QT of Marvel Mystery oil, (Wal Mart) for 1000 miles, then drain oil and filter and use what brand of oil you want. The MMO will gently clean the inside of your engine slightly, not to much and will free up any sticky hydraulic lifters which might be the cause for the ticking noise. I run MMO in all my cars, motorcycles, lawnmower etc, once per year in the oil, and every few months in the gas. You should mix 1oz MMO to each gallon of gas. It will clean up your piston rings, and all enternal parts, as well as the entire fuel system when used in the gas. Won't hurt a thing, and might solve your problem.
I just bought my daughter a used Nissan Xterra which has 61K miles. I put a full quart of MMO in a full tank of fuel, to clean the fuel system. I also changed to Mobli 1 oil. Changed the fuel filter, airfilter, PCV, brake fluid, trans fluid, diff oil, and flushed the radiator etc. I generally stick with OEM filters, as they are light years in quality over aftermarket part stores.

Pilot
Just had my oil changed a few days ago. Would you suggest that I drain 1quart away before I put 1qt of MMO in the LS?
Old 03-18-03, 05:26 AM
Pilot
Rookie

Originally posted by CelsiorUCF10/11
Just had my oil changed a few days ago. Would you suggest that I drain 1quart away before I put 1qt of MMO in the LS?
Well, you could do this if you want to get started with gently cleaning the inside of your engine, or wait until the next oil change. It would be a little messy to drain just a quart, but certainly can be done. If I were doing it, I would not want the oil hot, as I would burn my hand getting the drain plug back in while the oil was still draining. Some quick lube places have a suction hose they put down the dip stick and suck the oil out. This would be a slick way of doing it. Of course if you just drained all the oil and then added 1 qt of Marvel Mystery to the new oil, it would only cost you about 20.00.
I want to stress that Marvel Mystery oil is simply a mild cleaner which will remove some varnish that has built up inside your engine. It will also free up and sticky valve lifters so they work properly. It is not strong enough to clean everything out or otherwise damage any engine. It is not a snake oil that makes all kinds of wild benefits like other oil additives which are mostly worthless. I use it once per year to keep my engine clean, and use it more frequently in the gas to act as a fuel varnish cleaner and to clean the fuel injectors.

Pilot
Old 03-18-03, 12:41 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Pilot
Well, you could do this if you want to get started with gently cleaning the inside of your engine, or wait until the next oil change. It would be a little messy to drain just a quart, but certainly can be done. If I were doing it, I would not want the oil hot, as I would burn my hand getting the drain plug back in while the oil was still draining. Some quick lube places have a suction hose they put down the dip stick and suck the oil out. This would be a slick way of doing it. Of course if you just drained all the oil and then added 1 qt of Marvel Mystery to the new oil, it would only cost you about 20.00.
I want to stress that Marvel Mystery oil is simply a mild cleaner which will remove some varnish that has built up inside your engine. It will also free up and sticky valve lifters so they work properly. It is not strong enough to clean everything out or otherwise damage any engine. It is not a snake oil that makes all kinds of wild benefits like other oil additives which are mostly worthless. I use it once per year to keep my engine clean, and use it more frequently in the gas to act as a fuel varnish cleaner and to clean the fuel injectors.

Pilot
hey Pilot I have a few more questions

Since I just had the oil change should I just drive like 2000 miles before I add MMO? But wouldnt adding one more quart of oil be too much since there is already enough oil in the engine without draining? My valves make a little noise so I want to try MMO.

thanks

eric

Quick Reply: valves and lifters