LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Proud new LS owner :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-14, 12:18 PM
Mocchan
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Proud new LS owner :)

Hey guys! What a crazy day for me... I sold my old car (1997 Prelude) today and ended up buying an LS400 on the same day!

Test drove the LS yesterday and absolutely fell in love with how it drove...extremely quiet, handles surprisingly well, and extremely solid.

Here's my 1996 LS400 with 223k miles... solid maintenance records and Black/Black... it was a steal for the price I got her at I think I'll be sure too get more pictures outside once I detail and correct her paint...she needs it.

Old 12-21-14, 01:13 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats. Looks very nice and you are going to absolutely love it.
Old 12-21-14, 01:49 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Congrats on the pickup.
Old 12-21-14, 05:03 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Looks nice, always makes me wonder why lower miles cars can have the interior so tore up? Yours is in really good shape for miles.
Old 12-21-14, 09:56 PM
Mocchan
Rookie

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

And I've wondered the same thing...I've seen cars with half the mileage with interiors that are totally destroyed. I guess it's about who owned the car and the amount of pride they took.... previous owner was meticulous with maintenance and treated all the leather with Lexol every week. From the looks and feel of the leather, I believe him.
Old 12-22-14, 12:14 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Congrats and Welcome .
Old 12-22-14, 06:14 PM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats.
Old 12-23-14, 06:07 PM
Mocchan
Rookie

Thanks guys!

Also I've noticed when I purchased the car that there is a slight ticking/knocking sound coming from the vehicle. It only happens while I'm driving and is most noticeable above 10-15mph. It almost sounds like there is a rock stuck in the tread of the tires (checked, but there's nothing). I've revved the engine to 2k-3k range and there is no noise, so I'm certain it's from the tires/wheels or somewhere along the lines (glad to know it's not the EGR).

Are there any notable problems with these cars along the lines of what I've described? I've tried to do some research but I can't find anything on the net, thanks!
Old 12-23-14, 06:54 PM
matcotj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice nice 👍👍
Old 01-01-15, 06:29 PM
SocalBobby
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Looks great! I love these cars because everytime I see one they still look almost brand new.
Old 01-02-15, 04:02 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mocchan
Thanks guys!

Also I've noticed when I purchased the car that there is a slight ticking/knocking sound coming from the vehicle. It only happens while I'm driving and is most noticeable above 10-15mph. It almost sounds like there is a rock stuck in the tread of the tires (checked, but there's nothing). I've revved the engine to 2k-3k range and there is no noise, so I'm certain it's from the tires/wheels or somewhere along the lines (glad to know it's not the EGR).

Are there any notable problems with these cars along the lines of what I've described? I've tried to do some research but I can't find anything on the net, thanks!
It is really hard to say given the limited information. And noises are very difficult to pinpoint. However, there have been some owners with similar symptoms that seem to come from the rear differential. That may not be your case. It will take some patience to sort out the issue. In the meanwhile, just enjoy the ride. The LS has a way of making its owner very OCD about noises. You expect perfection. If it were a Chevy, you would not give the noise a second thought.
Old 01-02-15, 04:45 PM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

black on black... very nice! Congrats on the purchase!
Old 01-03-15, 10:29 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

That's a great looking car. Enjoy!
Old 01-04-15, 08:40 PM
Mocchan
Rookie

Thanks for the kind words, guys! I'm loving her more and more every time I take her out for a drive. Coming from a FWD platform to a RWD platform, you can really feel the difference when you're going around bends. I wasn't expecting the handling of such a big car to be as neutral as this car currently is; my Prelude would fight me on corners due to it being front-heavy.

And as for the noise, I'm in the process of getting it sorted out driving an LS really does make you OCD about strange/odd noises but I'm sure with enough patience and research I'll pinpoint it and take care of the problems.
Old 01-05-15, 05:47 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Great condition for that many miles. Great find and enjoy the new ride. Yes, it will be way different than a prelude... good news is, you've set a new standard. Bad news is, you've set a new standard. Hard to go back.

Quick Reply: Proud new LS owner :)