LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Much talked about popping noise when going over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-03, 01:33 PM
BrianV
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Much talked about popping noise when going over bumps

As many have read in other posts I have that somewhat famous popping/cracking noise when going over large potholes or slamming on my brakes at slow speeds.

I had my mechanic inspect my front suspension and visually he could find nothing wrong. The shocks were not blown, all the bolts were fastened to specifications.

He had a colleague of his listen to it and he thinks it's definately a bushing. When he stood outside the car in the parking lot, the other mechanic drove to about 5-10 MPH and then firmly applied the brakes. The pop noise can be heard both inside and outside of the car. At any rate, the mechanic on the outside said it definately looks/sounds like a bushing because he could actually see the wheel moving slightly.

On this board I've heard everything from bushings, control arms, shocks, etc. Both of them think the shocks and control arms are good and would not cause this sort of popping noise.

I'm looking for anyone who has had this problem, and more importantly anybody who has resolved this or a similar problem by simply replacing bushings. I also read bushings are extremely easy to change (is this true?). Finally what are all the bushings associated with the front suspension, and which ones are most probable to cause this sort of noise.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 03-09-03, 03:18 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Brian, I think you have a worn Caster Arms or Strut Rods. These rods are connect between the lower control arms to frame(close to the radiator). If you look underneath the car. You will see a black metal piece and has some curve designed. If you look at another end where it mount to the body(just above the splash shield), you will see the rubber bushing that worn out.
This is a common problem for the 95-00 LS. The Caster Arms cost around $75.00(depending on the dealership) and the installation may cost you around $ $150-$200.00. I hope this might help.
Old 03-09-03, 04:34 PM
Lvangundy

I think I have a similar noise on my 90.

As far as how many bushings there are as far as I know..

2 in the upper control arm.

1 in the sway bar.

And I think 2 (maybe 1) in the lower control arm.

There's also the lower ball joints (replacing these did not fix my bump noise)
Old 03-09-03, 07:11 PM
BrianV
Driver

Will the Lexus dealer diagnose this for free (even though I know I have no intentions of having them fix it)?
Thanks
Old 03-09-03, 08:22 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem on my 93. Bushings are worn but you would feel it more if that is the case. It would be a rough ride and you could here it clunk when you get a hole or bump on either side.

My problem is the brakes rotors warped pads need replacing. Does it do it when you turn corners while applying brakes?

If you go the dealership for services ect... They will inspect for free. If you just go once in a blue moon and they don't know you they may charge. I know some dealers charge up to $80 for inspection.
Old 03-09-03, 08:40 PM
BrianV
Driver

The noise happens while going over real deep potholes or steep speed bumps. It does make a popping noise as well when you slam on the brakes at slow speeds (under 10 MPH). It does appear to make the noise more easily when going over bumps while turning and braking. I don't think it's the rotors though. When braking and turning and hitting bumps your suspension is moving in many more ways then when just driving straight. Thus, if a bushing was bad it'd be put under more stress under those circumstances.