LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Striaght pipes through and X-pipe installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-03, 05:59 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exhausts done. Striaght pipes and X-pipes installed

This is the set up I went with. It still sounds the same as it did when I removed the two middle mufflers, but now there is a slight whine to the sound, much like a mini supercharger in a way. As far as performance goes the car moves quicker through low and mid rpm. Also what I notice is that when I let go of the gas the speed does not decrease as fast and the speed pretty much goes down little by little even though my foot is off the pedal.

I did make a 1min. movie on how it sounds, but everytime I load the vid. It screws up my comp

This a picture of the setup from Planet Soarer. I did everything except the high flow cats and I decided not to have the sharp curve at the end and keep it straight all the way through until the end instead. I stuck with the front two stock cats and got rid of the middle stock cat for the X-pipe. The sound now is much more cleaner with a deep growl and slight whine to it.
Attached Thumbnails Striaght pipes through and X-pipe installed-x-pipe.jpg  

Last edited by LOTC; 03-04-03 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-04-03, 06:02 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Here is the best pic I have with my new setup, still not very good though. The car was already jacked up, but I did not want to go any higher for my well being. The pic is upside down.
Attached Thumbnails Striaght pipes through and X-pipe installed-mvc-029f.jpg  

Last edited by LOTC; 03-04-03 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-04-03, 06:03 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

x-pipe
Attached Thumbnails Striaght pipes through and X-pipe installed-mvc-027f.jpg  
Old 03-04-03, 06:27 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spray it with some silver paint. It will look very nice.
Old 03-04-03, 06:47 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How does it sound?
Old 03-04-03, 08:00 PM
LS400
Club Lexus Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Lexozz
How does it sound?
Not sure if you watched the video clips that I had up for a while of a So. Cal. meet, but if you did and you heard his LS's exhaust, that's what it basically sounds like (if you watched the clips).

Last edited by LS400; 03-04-03 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-04-03, 11:17 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Originally posted by Lexozz
How does it sound?
I will try to get a vid clip with sound again.

Like LS400 said sounds almost just like the So.Cal meet vid, but much more cleaner and a little more whine to it.
Old 03-05-03, 06:59 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Nice not bad, not bad at all.
Old 03-05-03, 07:57 AM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey how much did this whole setup cost? I was thinking of copying the exact setup, except I was re considering doing the cats as well. How much is it for the two cats if you were to do it? Good choice in setup, what muffler did you choose?
Old 03-05-03, 08:16 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Eric, nice work, it looks well thought out.

What size pipe? 2.25" or 2.5"

Did you buy that X-pipe or did the shop fabricate it?
Old 03-05-03, 07:22 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Originally posted by jbrady
Eric, nice work, it looks well thought out.

What size pipe? 2.25" or 2.5"

Did you buy that X-pipe or did the shop fabricate it?
I was either going to go with the X-pipe or H-pipe, but it seems that the X-pipe yielded more power from the SC400s. The piping is 2.25, I did not want to go 2.5 because there is still a chance of losing backpressure and power in the low power range. But I think I made the right choice because the take offs from stops are much stronger now and I even got up to 50mph around 1750 -1800 rpms. It usually get to 50mph around 1900-2000 rpms and then shifts. I got the X-pipe at the muffler shop. Did a few test runs and took out a Mazda MX-6 from a stop, he got the jump on me by a few feet, but everytime he shifted he would lose and I ended up killing him at the high speeds. Also took out a BMW 3 series on a high speed roll and I have some 19in rims on. Thats it for the crazy stuff. Normally I dont do stuff like that, but I just wanted to test out the new setup. I am also going to see which airbox mod works best this the X-pipe setup as well. Right now I have the HKS supermega flow cone intake with heatshiel. Tonight if I have time I will try the airbox mod that you have delevoped to see how that feels. As for gas mileage, I dont not know because I only communte like 8miles a day so no data on that yet.

The only set back is a little noise during idle, but it is no biggie.

I also have a few more goodies to work with later this month. A injen intake, I am probably just going to use the pipe if it still needs a MAF adapter and a set of JIC coilovers should be here any minute. Hmm dunno whats next, Torque converter or LSD? maybe, but I do not know right now, but I have something at the end of the year that will be special for the VIP celsior lovers to look at

Originally posted by Phoenix88
Hey how much did this whole setup cost? I was thinking of copying the exact setup, except I was re considering doing the cats as well. How much is it for the two cats if you were to do it? Good choice in setup, what muffler did you choose?
The setup cost $180 it includes the x-pipe and striaght piping all the way through the mufflers. I do not know how much for new cats because I did not ask. Also you will need to find a size that will fit in the slot where the exisiting cats are. I would do it but there is not much room there since the stock cats are slanted down on the LS. Maybe in a few weeks I will try to find some. As for mufflers I have some free flowing mufflers which u can see hole to hole when uninstalled. Therefore they flow good without much turbulence.

here is a picture of the right muffler from my old pipping before the X-pipe route (rear view)
Attached Thumbnails Striaght pipes through and X-pipe installed-mvc-044f.jpg  

Last edited by LOTC; 03-05-03 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-05-03, 07:34 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey E..........What kind of mufflers are u running? Can't be Remus rite?
Old 03-05-03, 07:38 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Originally posted by kenjitsou
Hey E..........What kind of mufflers are u running? Can't be Remus rite?
Yes they are Remus exhausts

j.k

They are Tsudo universals. I like them because they are pretty hollow and wont restricted any airflow.
Old 03-05-03, 07:49 PM
LS400
Club Lexus Editor

Originally posted by CelsiorUCF10/11
Yes they are Remus exhausts

j.k

They are Tsudo universals. I like them because they are pretty hollow and wont restricted any airflow.
Remember these, lol?
Attached Thumbnails Striaght pipes through and X-pipe installed-showtimeautotrix_1727_8151083.jpg  
Old 03-05-03, 11:21 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Originally posted by LS400
Remember these, lol?
nah, no i dont lol...

did you e-mail injen again?

Quick Reply: Striaght pipes through and X-pipe installed