LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400's with black interiors

Old 12-24-16, 08:46 PM
LS400UCF20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS400's with black interiors

I always read and hear that the black interior LS400's are the most desirable but I always wonder why they are less common if they are so desirable and chased. Could it be that tastes were different in the 90's than they are now? How rare are the black interior LS400's versus the beige or grey interiors?
Old 12-24-16, 09:47 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

They're not desirable in Arizona. You'll basically scald yourself the minute you legs and arms touches it lol
Old 12-25-16, 04:32 AM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
They're not desirable in Arizona. You'll basically scald yourself the minute you legs and arms touches it lol
I live in Florida.Try quality window tint and reflective sun shade for the windshield and you will see and feel wonders.
Old 12-25-16, 01:39 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Its the last color I would want.
Old 12-26-16, 08:26 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
I once had a buddy come visit me when I lived out in Ridgecrest California(think death valley). He had driven up in a black on black chevy of some kind. Both of our cars were sitting outside in the sun, when he asked me why I always bought white cars. I had him put his palm on both cars, then stick his head into both cars. I didn't have to utter another word on why I bought white cars. And that isn't even getting into how hard it is to get black cars to look clean.
Old 12-26-16, 01:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

I like both black and other dark interiors and light interiors. I've had them all. IMHO one reason to seek out dark interiors on older used cars is because IMHO dark interiors stay newer looking for longer. Shades of tan and grey that are in vogue change over time, for instance today look at a car with a cream interior or grey...they are much lighter than what was in style when the LS400 was made. Another reason is IMHO grey and tan interiors get a dingy, worn look to them especially in the carpeting that black interiors don't get.

I decided a while back I wasn't going to buy another car without black carpet for that reason. Yeah it shows debris and stuff, but that gets vacuumed away. I like my car with the light grey seats and door insert and the black dash and carpeting.
Old 12-26-16, 03:19 PM
8055y
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS400UCF20
I always read and hear that the black interior LS400's are the most desirable but I always wonder why they are less common if they are so desirable and chased. Could it be that tastes were different in the 90's than they are now? How rare are the black interior LS400's versus the beige or grey interiors?
To answer your question directly, The reason they are desirable is for a few reasons.

1- They had the lowest manufacture run of LS400 colors. Beige interiors were the most produced interior for Lexus/Toyota in the 90s. Grey, Black and green were the least, so sheer low numbers make them hard to find. And as you know, anything that is rare, unique, is what most people want.

2- Black interiors are super popular amongst the luxury market. Black, white and silver are some of the most popular colors in the luxury automotive world since about 2002. As a result the aftermarket and used car market scene has tried to mimic that when they are re-doing their interiors. Forbes and Car and Driver did a few articles about color trends in cars. It's pretty interesting.
BMW, Mercedes, Lincoln, Porsche offered black interiors as standard options from the factory. I think Lexus/Toyota wanted to stand out from them so they went with a bright, clean interior as their main offering.

3- Black, grey, silver interiors are associated with high end cars and considered timeless as these colors never go out of fashion.

Hope that answers your questions.

As far as an OPINION on beige vs black - I think black looks way better. As far as it getting hotter, well, yea, but I'm ok with my interior being a little hot for 5 minutes while the AC and tint do their job. I'm not going to base my interior color decisions on how hot it is 6 months out of the year.
Old 12-27-16, 07:34 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 8055y
To answer your question directly, The reason they are desirable is for a few reasons.

1- They had the lowest manufacture run of LS400 colors. Beige interiors were the most produced interior for Lexus/Toyota in the 90s. Grey, Black and green were the least, so sheer low numbers make them hard to find. And as you know, anything that is rare, unique, is what most people want.

2- Black interiors are super popular amongst the luxury market. Black, white and silver are some of the most popular colors in the luxury automotive world since about 2002. As a result the aftermarket and used car market scene has tried to mimic that when they are re-doing their interiors. Forbes and Car and Driver did a few articles about color trends in cars. It's pretty interesting.
BMW, Mercedes, Lincoln, Porsche offered black interiors as standard options from the factory. I think Lexus/Toyota wanted to stand out from them so they went with a bright, clean interior as their main offering.

3- Black, grey, silver interiors are associated with high end cars and considered timeless as these colors never go out of fashion.

Hope that answers your questions.

As far as an OPINION on beige vs black - I think black looks way better. As far as it getting hotter, well, yea, but I'm ok with my interior being a little hot for 5 minutes while the AC and tint do their job. I'm not going to base my interior color decisions on how hot it is 6 months out of the year.
Do you have any sources for these claims or is this just anecdotal?

links would be good.
Old 12-28-16, 09:29 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

not impossible to find but pretty damn rare. I had a 91 that was black on black about ten years ago. had the factory chrome turbine wheels too. it was dead sexy!

however, I was in south florida and the AC compressor went. the car was an absolute furnace on wheels. it would be so hot I had to open the door and let it cool off 5 mins before I could even breathe in it. I had to keep a towel on the seat because even with tinting, the seat would burn me, same as the steering wheel, could barley touch it. to make matters worse, even after a 20 minute drive the car really didn't cool down. it was always absolutely sweltering.

if you find one of these rare gems, better check the AC. if it goes, prepare your anus....
Old 12-29-16, 01:18 PM
8055y
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey PureDrifter,
Here are some links to articles that discuss colors and resale values as well as color popularity in market segments (SUV, Luxury, general)

As far as archive data to show beige interiors being the most common, that is purely anecdotal based on what I see for sale in the marketplace.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewd.../#401ab9d737eb

http://www.motortrend.com/news/totd-...scheme-360183/

https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/artic...-color-to-buy/

http://www.jdpower.com/cars/articles...cle-color-list

http://www.dupont.com/products-and-s...te-silver.html
Old 12-30-16, 07:19 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

imo a polished up blk on blk is a stunner, why u think all the diplomats and royals drive blk cars