LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Just replaced the starter in my 1995 LS400, brutal

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-17, 09:03 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Superfast1
WadeNelson- Here's the rear water bypass gasket p/n: 16341-50010. I bought mine at a local Lexus dealer in Cerritos, Ca close to where I live for $9 each. Do yourself a favor by replacing both left & right gaskets before you re-install the rear water bypass to ensure a leak free on such a big repair job. As stated in my previous post, the removal of the water bypass is a must in order to get to the two 14mm starter bolts but you don't need to remove it completely. Just lift it up about an inch enough to clear the 4 studs so you can access the starter bolts & swap out the gaskets later. You'll need to pry & lift the ECU harness up a bit to make room for the water bypass.
Now for the two 14mm starter bolts, I actually had to bend one of my 14mm wrenches (the closed end side) about 15 deg using a vice then used a pipe as an extension to break loose the bolts first then used the 14mm flex ratchet wrench to remove them. It's hard work but if you have patient, you can get them out. Also get yourself an adjustable extension w/ a magnet at the tip if you don't have one. It's a great tool to hold on to the bolts so you won't drop & lose the bolts during the removal & installation processes. You can do it. Good luck.
I'm pretty sure WadeNelson has completed the starter replacement already...
Old 02-13-17, 10:25 PM
Granite88
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way this job sounds I am going to buy the water bridge gaskets ahead of time found easily even on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Water-Outlet...VWy5rp&vxp=mtr
Also keep the intake manifold gaskets around which are even easier to find and not that expensive.

Then just keep the money kicking around to order a new Denso starter and pay a shop to do the labor for me while I have all the parts ready "Just in case"

My 96 has 201K miles and so far the starter is working flawlessly. My plan is to get all the "hard to get" parts such as the gaskets and have them ready. Buy a starter when mine shows signs of near failure and just let a shop do only the labor. I'm sure a shop would appreciate having the gaskets on hand especially.
Old 02-14-17, 06:14 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

Granite88- These cars are so old so the advantage of do-it-yourself is you will fix what is/are going to break during the removal/installation process whereas the mechanic may just covered it up.
Old 02-14-17, 07:47 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

99LS with 222K miles, original starter is on its last leg, reading other posts, pretty good to go 222K miles, right?
I have :
1.both water by-pass bridge gaskets ready
2.intake gaskets ready
3. Denso reman starter ready
4. 18" flex head T-bar
5. Flex head ratcheting wrenches
Thinking to clean throttle body real good while I am at it, got
6.new throttle body gasket,
7.injector insulators
8. injector O-rings

I was contemplating changing the coolant rubber hoses to be proactive, do you approve?
Also , thinking to do a coolant flush job before doing the starter job and before changing the rubber hoses, right?

Anything else I am forgetting? Just want to have everything on hand before starting. What else would you do while doing the starter job besides throttle body cleaning and hoses changing?

Thanks,
Val
Old 02-16-17, 02:19 PM
CarlB3
Driver School Candidate

Very nice and detailed write-up. I think this convinced me to not tackle this job.
Old 02-28-17, 02:20 PM
WadeNelson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 Starter Replacement - afterthoughts

Well, I get to go in again because I "recycled" the coolant bridge gaskets....and they're leaking. I made a mistake; after seeing the photo of the engine from the rear I realize now what was keeping me from lifting the bridge sufficiently was a Heater coolant line, not an immovable EGR line.

IN ADDITION to needing the gaskets, lots of coolant and vacuum hose, you MIGHT AS WELL replace your injectors once you're in there. $80 on eBay for a set of rebuilt Densos, including seals and O-rings, vs. spending $32 just to buy the seals and O-rings. No brainer, IMHO. along with spark plug wires, eh?

Of course you might as well order some spare injector connectors, I managed to unplug 7 but the 8th, of course, broke. That is, the plastic release trigger. I used a pick to remove it but it wouldn't snap back on TIGHT, so.. here we go again.

If you do not know how to use the releases triggers on electrical connectors, LEARN before you attempt this job. PUSH the connector on even further, THEN depress the trigger, THEN pull the connector off. Try, try, and try again. If you must give up, then insert a pick under the LATCH to get it off. And smear it with dielectric grease (silicone lube, sex lube, ...) before you put it back on...for the sake of the NEXT guy...which might be YOU. Practice in a junkyard, if you can. Or rob an extra connector or two off a donor car.

It made me really sad to read accounts of guys doing this job who obviously don't even know the triggers exist and break every connector.

When you are all done with your job you PROBABLY want to smoke the intake manifold, and pressure test the cooling system to find that vacuum leak, and/or coolant leak. Otherwise your car will forever "slightly" overheat since it can't hold pressure. And if you didn't replace the injector seals, it will have a vacuum leak there and that cylinder will underperform the rest of its days, and perhaps even throw codes.

I started wrenching because I got absolutely sick of paying guys to do work for me, who broke stuff, then just covered it up, pretended they didn't, didn't exercise sufficient care, left half the bolts out, etc. Dealers and independents. This car is old enough, if you don't care and aren't conscientious, you are going to break a half dozen things. Even being careful I broke some plastic.

And yes, it pisses me off to no end when my NEARBY Lexus dealer says tthe gaskets are no longer in stock and every other dealer says otherwise. Lazy phockers, I guess. I found mine on ebay after determining the correct Toyota part #s.

While I admire the "Guts and glory" of you young men who watch 3 Youtube videos and then tackle auto repairs yourself, there will be a learning curve on the tougher jobs. If not, then you should do this sort of work professionally!

All I can say is this is one helluva fine car, and properly restored, drives like the $55,000 car it was new. For a whole lot less, even counting the heartache of a repair like this one. Add a Bluetooth stereo, and...

Last edited by WadeNelson; 02-28-17 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-01-17, 09:59 AM
pmarr
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Just had the alt/PS pump replaced in my daughter's LS last week and it appears the starter is going as well. 230,000 on a 99. Not bad. My trusty mechanic quoted me $650 parts and labor which for what sounds like an awful day at work, really isn't that bad.
Old 03-06-17, 09:36 PM
brybo86
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pmarr
Just had the alt/PS pump replaced in my daughter's LS last week and it appears the starter is going as well. 230,000 on a 99. Not bad. My trusty mechanic quoted me $650 parts and labor which for what sounds like an awful day at work, really isn't that bad.
hmm , parts alone and tools were probably 1/2 of 650.
price sounds good , make sure he is using a denso starter
Old 03-10-17, 10:53 AM
CarlB3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pmarr
I wish I lived closer to your mechanic. I was quoted $1,100. Did you have the job done? If so, was he upset to underbid the job? -Carl
Old 03-22-17, 09:44 AM
PlatinumV8
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingsoup
Holy crap dude, thats totally nuts!! I can so relate reading your story on just contenplating what to do can take so much time, let along turning bolts.

Mk3 Supra was a stupid pain too, 3ft extension from the tailshaft of the tranny to get the nut and bolt while friend lies on top of motor, often it turned into a 4hrs job.

I just did an F150 about 45min of taking it real easy. The Lexus one is totally insane, what a moronic place to put an item that will usually require replacement.

Toyota!!!!!!!
If you recall, Lexus was about quiet function so you could hear the world class sound system perfectly. I can tell a 5.0 Mustang from 1,000 feet away from that starter that sits down low inside that fender well area, echoing across a parking lot. Lexus placed the starter in the V of the engine to cancel nearly all of its noise while starting the car. Notoriously they were changed out a lot under warranty, because valets would leave the car running for the owner at the club and these old rich owners thought the car was off, having been used to noisy Cadillacs, BMWs and Lincolns. Owner turns the key to start and crashes gear teeth to bits when the flywheel is smacked by the solenoid arm. Ouch! It's already running Grandpa!!!

I've a 1990 with nearly 300,000 miles and the starter has never been replaced, because it was always cranked until ignition saving the copper contacts that wear out from people that fail to replace faulty cold start components and end up having to crank twice or more on cold mornings. It's a race derived engine folks, let it crank and build compression.
Old 03-22-17, 10:27 AM
pmarr
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I wish I lived closer to your mechanic. I was quoted $1,100. Did you have the job done? If so, was he upset to underbid the job? -Carl
I have not had it replaced yet as it still starts the car. I also spoke to another seasoned gentleman, he said about three hours or so. Most estimates lean on the high side so a place won't loose money which is why I guess some of the rates are high; that and they suck to replace. For now, cross fingers, turn key....
Old 03-22-17, 11:50 AM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by PlatinumV8
Lexus placed the starter in the V of the engine to cancel nearly all of its noise while starting the car.
Says who? (filler)
Old 03-25-17, 07:11 AM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by PlatinumV8
Lexus placed the starter in the V of the engine to cancel nearly all of its noise while starting the car.
Errrrr, not really.
Colin ; )
Old 03-25-17, 07:58 PM
ankurdave
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a recent article on Jalopnik about this job: http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/how-to...-th-1793604418

The starter in my 1995 LS400 has started making a low-pitched scraping sound about 1 time in 50, so I'm expecting to have to attempt this eventually. I'm hoping the current starter will last for a few more years though.
Old 04-03-17, 07:23 PM
olddogneed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face R&R starter on my '91'

I wish I had paid the $1100 to R&R my starter on my '91' LS400. What a job that was. But I made a little modification on those bolts holding the starter. I took a Dremal and cut a slot into then threaded end of the bolt wide enough for a screwdriver tip to engauge the bolt from the front side of the motor. All I had to do was get something behind the bolt to hold it against the hole and use the screwdriver to turn the bolt untill it bottomed out in the starter. then torque it down. But I wasn't so lucky upon start-up.It doesn't want to idle or run but the starter works fine. Guess I will have to figure out the rest.

Quick Reply: Just replaced the starter in my 1995 LS400, brutal