LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

No Heat or AC....HELP! 91 Ls400

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-14, 07:37 AM
paul67
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Heat or AC....HELP! 91 Ls400

Thought I had the Lexus all ready to go, as my daughter was off to last year of college a few weeks ago. About half way through the trip she calls me and said the AC stopped working and none of the lights on the heater/ac control panel were working. No blower for heat or AC. We were on our way to meet her since we needed two vehicles for all her stuff ..... upon inspection I noticed the clutch was not engaging, but looked like it was trying to move. Belt was spinning ok on pulley with no noises.

If the clutch seized up , could it have simultaneously blown a fuse or relay. Since the hot weather is done, I just need to get her heat system / blower running for winter. I can deal with AC in the spring.

I assume she should be ok to drive home 50 miles as long as belt is spinning freely?? She is coming home this weekend and I need to get it resolved!

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,
Paul

the AC was new & installed about 4 years ago by me.

Last edited by paul67; 09-15-14 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-15-14, 08:03 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Paul, first reach down and try to turn the compressor by hand just to see if it frozen up, then since your control panel is dead, I would start with fuses inside and under hood, and since it is easy to remove the panel, check your plug in connections, burned wiring and damage if your fuses all check out ok.. no quickie that I know of..
Old 09-15-14, 04:43 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Good advice from Billy. Let us know about the fuses.
Old 09-20-14, 03:33 PM
paul67
Driver School Candidate

Hey Billy,

Thanks for the reply! My daughter is home with the Lexus today and I was able to do a little bit of troubleshooting.

First off, as you suggested I was able to turn the clutch with my hand, but the pully is definitely starting to make some noise like the bearing is bad.
Secondly I did find the blown 15amp Heater fuse inside under drivers side . Replaced the fuse , but every time the AC is turned on it blows.

My question: Is there a fuse or relay ( i didnt see any for AC under hood or drivers side box) specifically for AC that I can pull so it cannot be turned on, so she can at least have the heater /blower running for heat. No need for AC until May lol. I just dont want AC button getting turned on by accident. Or i guess if there is not a specific fuse, can I unplug electric connection to AC compressor???

Just want to make sure this is independent and won't affect anyything else , short of AC pulley seizing up and breaking the serpantine belt. She is only home until tomorrow, so I have to have a move quickly.

Thank for any others that may have input for me.

Paul
Old 09-21-14, 04:42 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

yes Paul, just unplug the compressor. I have never heard of that affecting anything else.... what I meant by reaching down and turning the compressor, was the head, not the clutch. but I am sure yours is frozen up because of it blowing the fuse. the only danger you or her will have to watch for, is if the bearing in the clutch goes bad and breaks the belt.... tell her if the temp gauge starts going up, to pull over and turn the motor off or it will be ruined. DO NOT try to make it anywhere.. call a friend... find someone for her to call just in case. (police if necessary, they should get her to the station/somewhere safely).. good luck
Old 09-21-14, 11:33 AM
paul67
Driver School Candidate

Billy,
I pulled the belt an was able to spin the pulley freely, but it's making noise with some play front to back. Bearing is bad. I was able to pull the AC relay in the fuse box under the hood. Now the heater is blowing fine. Question is what was causing the fuse to blow if pulley spinning freely. It must be when clutch tries to engage. I'm thinking I will pick up a reman and swap out in next week or 2. At this point its drivable with heat and she can get back to school.

Thanks for the help, Very much appreciated!
Old 09-21-14, 12:28 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by paul67
Billy,
I pulled the belt an was able to spin the pulley freely, but it's making noise with some play front to back. Bearing is bad. I was able to pull the AC relay in the fuse box under the hood. Now the heater is blowing fine. Question is what was causing the fuse to blow if pulley spinning freely. It must be when clutch tries to engage. I'm thinking I will pick up a reman and swap out in next week or 2. At this point its drivable with heat and she can get back to school.

Thanks for the help, Very much appreciated!
your not understanding my words....with the engine running and the AC OFF, the body of the compressor AND the front HUB are NOT turning...just the clutch.... the front HUB is what you want to try to turn, AFTER you stop the engine.... if it turns the comp should be ok if NOT or very hard to turn, comp is bad. a reman is fine