LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1998 LS400 HVAC unit buttons not backlit after installing new radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-14, 04:33 PM
KC98LS
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1998 LS400 HVAC unit buttons not backlit after installing new radio

Hello everyone.

The other day I installed a new radio in my 1998 LS400. After putting it all back together I noticed that the buttons on my HVAC unit, or whatever you want to call it were not lit anymore. Today I pulled the radio, and HVAC unit out, and rechecked the 3 cables to make sure they were tight. Unfortunately that didn't fix it, and the button are still not lit, and aren't visible at night.

Any tips? Is this a simple connection problem, or something worse?

ALSO, if anyone has an extra center vent assembly or the parts I need, I'd be happy to buy it. I ended up breaking the small piece of plastic on the right vent that allows the louvers to tip up, and down.

Dimmer turned all the way up. Screens are still backlit, along with indicator LEDs but buttons aren't.

Dimmer turned all the way down. Nothing lit except for indicator LEDs.
Old 09-01-14, 07:18 PM
Yamae

Received 854 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by KC98LS
Hello everyone.

The other day I installed a new radio in my 1998 LS400. After putting it all back together I noticed that the buttons on my HVAC unit, or whatever you want to call it were not lit anymore. Today I pulled the radio, and HVAC unit out, and rechecked the 3 cables to make sure they were tight. Unfortunately that didn't fix it, and the button are still not lit, and aren't visible at night.
Did you disconnect the negative terminal of the battery while you install a new radio?
I have seen a similar problem with you. The person replaced it without doing so and damaged the unit.
Old 09-01-14, 07:22 PM
KC98LS
Rookie

Originally Posted by Yamae
Did you disconnect the negative terminal of the battery while you install a new radio?
I have seen a similar problem with you. The person replaced it without doing so and damaged the unit.
I did, however I had to reconnect it to shift the transmission into Drive a few times. I then would put it in park, and disconnect the battery again.

I suppose it is possible I may have plugged/unplugged the connectors at some point and damaged the unit.

Of interest, it still works fine, the buttons just aren't backlit anymore.

Any other advice?

Thanks.
Old 09-02-14, 11:57 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

does the rest of the lights still dim using the dimmer? it is possible you damaged the dimmer switch alone.
Old 09-02-14, 04:56 PM
Twista4004
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May check your kick panel for any blown fuses
Old 09-03-14, 06:31 AM
DOBones
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '93 has had the same issue since I got it 5 months ago so I hope we can get to the bottom of this. Are the bulbs working in the ashtray, glove box or shifter plate? Mine do not . Also when I turn the headlights on, the backlights for the radio and thermostat LCD screens turn off, I can't imagine that being normal and I wonder if the problems are linked in some way. Best of luck!
Old 09-06-14, 03:11 PM
KC98LS
Rookie

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
does the rest of the lights still dim using the dimmer? it is possible you damaged the dimmer switch alone.
Yes everything else dims, dimmer switch is fine.

Originally Posted by Twista4004
May check your kick panel for any blown fuses
Okay, checked, all fuses appear to be okay.

Originally Posted by DOBones
My '93 has had the same issue since I got it 5 months ago so I hope we can get to the bottom of this. Are the bulbs working in the ashtray, glove box or shifter plate? Mine do not . Also when I turn the headlights on, the backlights for the radio and thermostat LCD screens turn off, I can't imagine that being normal and I wonder if the problems are linked in some way. Best of luck!
Light in ashtray works, everything else appears to work.

Last edited by KC98LS; 09-06-14 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-06-14, 05:28 PM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The how to for gen 1 linked in this post may help:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ed-lights.html
Old 09-19-14, 08:56 PM
KC98LS
Rookie

Originally Posted by AzHotLS
The how to for gen 1 linked in this post may help:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ed-lights.html
Thanks, nothing really stuck out, but useful none the less.

Bump!

If anybody is selling a right center vent for a 98-2000 or just the center vent assembly let me know, I'd be happy to buy it. Can't find ANYTHING on eBay.
Old 09-19-14, 09:05 PM
GH5T
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

local junck yard may be your best bet at finding the the vent part you're looking for.
Old 09-19-14, 09:06 PM
KC98LS
Rookie

Originally Posted by GH5T
local junck yard may be your best bet at finding the the vent part you're looking for.
No cars within 50 miles of me. I'm putting a wanted ad out on Row52.
Old 09-21-14, 06:53 AM
DOBones
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last week I sent my gauge cluster in for repair and preventative maintenance and not only do my gauges fully illuminate now, but all my center console lights work again including the HVAC lights. I'm sure my problem had a different cause than yours since I had so many more lights out but it's something to keep in mind. I sent only my gauge cluster to Tanin Auto and not the climate control unit so it wasn't blown bulbs or fuses or anything like that, it must have been a capacitor or something in the gauge cluster itself. Good Luck!
Old 09-21-14, 09:23 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Sounds like the OEM radio or harness has something to do with the climate lighting. Did you re-use all of the radio plugs?
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 11-10-14, 08:36 PM
KC98LS
Rookie

Originally Posted by DOBones
Last week I sent my gauge cluster in for repair and preventative maintenance and not only do my gauges fully illuminate now, but all my center console lights work again including the HVAC lights. I'm sure my problem had a different cause than yours since I had so many more lights out but it's something to keep in mind. I sent only my gauge cluster to Tanin Auto and not the climate control unit so it wasn't blown bulbs or fuses or anything like that, it must have been a capacitor or something in the gauge cluster itself. Good Luck!
Good to know, did some of your lights just randomly stop working?

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
Sounds like the OEM radio or harness has something to do with the climate lighting. Did you re-use all of the radio plugs?
Yes, I installed the radio using a BeatSonic SLA-22AD, all factory connections are still in use.
Old 11-10-14, 08:56 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

call beatsonic, they have a US office and should be able to help troubleshoot.

Quick Reply: 1998 LS400 HVAC unit buttons not backlit after installing new radio