LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My Dumb Low-Speed Bumper Collision--Any Cheap Fixes?

Old 08-01-14, 07:35 PM
EmpPenguin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Dumb Low-Speed Bumper Collision--Any Cheap Fixes?

Stupid me backed into a concrete lamp pedestal, and it left a very conspicuous mark on the left rear corner of my bumper. My friends tell me that I can fix it cheaply with a rubbing compound, or something of the like. I don't know anything about this type of repair, so I am wondering if the geniuses here at the forums can give me a few ideas on how I can remove the mark cheaply. You can easily see by the picture what color the lamp pedestal was, as it appears to me that I merely took some of the paint from the concrete and gouged it in my bumper. Any ideas on how to remove the mark efficiently?
Attached Thumbnails My Dumb Low-Speed Bumper Collision--Any Cheap Fixes?-temp.jpg  
Old 08-01-14, 09:14 PM
aomdedude1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EmpPenguin
Stupid me backed into a concrete lamp pedestal, and it left a very conspicuous mark on the left rear corner of my bumper. My friends tell me that I can fix it cheaply with a rubbing compound, or something of the like. I don't know anything about this type of repair, so I am wondering if the geniuses here at the forums can give me a few ideas on how I can remove the mark cheaply. You can easily see by the picture what color the lamp pedestal was, as it appears to me that I merely took some of the paint from the concrete and gouged it in my bumper. Any ideas on how to remove the mark efficiently?
I am surprised no one has responded to you yet. Sorry to hear you bumped your cars rear. I suppose rubbing compound is at least worth a shot. It is quite possible that the only thing that happened when you collided with the object in question was a paint transfer between the object and your bumper. Did the lamp pedestal happen to be white in color?

If so, then I would give the rubbing compound a shot. Just go to the store and buy a good paint polish/compound ,wet a rag, dip/apply product to the rag then rub away the white paint from the pedestal to show your original finish. Good luck. If you ever want to paint the whole bumper you can have a look at
for tips.

**EDIT: Correction, I am not too surprised no one has responded as I just realized that the reason your post says "Yesterday at 10pm" is because it is now past midnight. ...time for bed!

Last edited by aomdedude1; 08-01-14 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-01-14, 10:29 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Try rubbing it out first as aomdedude1 mentions. If worse depends how gouged it is and if it has any dimples-warpage. A flexible filler and the usual paint treatment. The shop I use would be ~$400'ish. Add in the $125 trim so $500 range.
Old 08-01-14, 11:32 PM
Caseyjones
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just today I came from an auto paint shop. My issue is slightly different as my Front bumper has paint flaking and looks like krapp. I decided I would touch it up in hopes to make it look pretty decent but my expectations are realistic. Then I decided I would just smooth it out and lightly spray the entire front bumper depending on how close the match is.

The guy there brought out a Polaroid-looking device and pressed it against the bumper to sample color, in 15 minutes I had a color matched rattle-can and a can of adhesion promoter for around $40.

If it doesn't buff out to your satisfaction it might be an option if your ok with something publicly presentable but less than showroom perfect. The estimate to have it sprayed professionally was $500. Mine is nearly two decades old with 170k mi and while very nice it just makes more sense to spend 40 instead of 500 since I'm not trying to restore an otherwise pristine automobile.
Old 08-03-14, 01:30 PM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you guys not have the same as us in the UK, "Smart" repair companies? ( see link below)
Average cost for a repair like this would be around £100.00 ($160.00)

http://www.chipsaway.co.uk/

The self adhesive chrome trim can be found on ebay in various widths for around $20.00 for 5 metres., the only thing different is that the black plastic end pieces are missing but won't be noticed.

Last edited by steve2006; 08-03-14 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-04-14, 01:43 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

most can be removed by compounding but the deep gouges will need to be filled. the hard part is that our bumpers are two tone so a repaint will be costly. touch up paint is your cheapest option.
Old 08-06-14, 06:57 PM
peterls
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

I had almost identical problem, paint transfer, except it was on the plastic on the doors.
I tried Maguira's polishing/rubbing compound and it did nothing, even if I kept rubbing and rubbing and rubbing...

Then I took my wife's dishwashing sponge, you know the yellow one with green scrubbing plastic on one side, and used that and it removed the paint transfer in no time.

That green layer will damage the paint though so be careful, although in my case it only shows on painted parts, but plastic is OK. I have to polish my car anyways its got a lot of scrub marks and deep scratches from prior owner.

The other option, which is also more abrasive than maguires is a toothpaste. Haven't tried it myself, but they say it may work, at least for lighter paint transfers.