Notices
LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1994 LS400......transmission fluid needs replaced

 
Old 07-31-14, 09:20 PM
  #1  
OMAHA
Pole Position
Thread Starter
 
OMAHA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 333
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1994 LS400......transmission fluid needs replaced

i am going to do a drain and fill for my tranny. i bought the car at 199k and it has 207k now and i think it is a good idea to replace the fluid as i don't know its previous history.....seems to be shifting fine. any tips or advice i need to be aware of? is replacing the screen easy?
OMAHA is offline  
Old 08-02-14, 08:06 AM
  #2  
Bill Dowd
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: California
Posts: 496
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

I use Max Life trans fluid or mobile one in my trans and power steering mobile one extended one in my engine and the mobile one 75-90 in the rear end. If the rear end is limited slip use redline 75-90 Gl5 for limited rear end my 91 LS has over 300,000 miles and no problems ran an 1986 Toyota Cressida over 500,000 miles using the same stuff and nothing ever wore out great cars Toyota.
Bill Dowd is offline  
Old 08-02-14, 01:29 PM
  #3  
aomdedude1
Driver
 
aomdedude1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

As far as transmission fluid, I would seriously reccomend you ONLY use either OEM toyota or Asin fluid. This car, so I hear, is very particular about the type of fluid you use and I would not risk it if I were you. The transmission is NOT cheap if it fails.

Also, I would recomend a complete flush rather than just a simple drain and replace. The flush is easy to do but you need a lot of quarts of fluid. Around 10ish.
aomdedude1 is offline  
Old 08-02-14, 01:35 PM
  #4  
OMAHA
Pole Position
Thread Starter
 
OMAHA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 333
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by aomdedude1 View Post
As far as transmission fluid, I would seriously reccomend you ONLY use either OEM toyota or Asin fluid. This car, so I hear, is very particular about the type of fluid you use and I would not risk it if I were you. The transmission is NOT cheap if it fails.

Also, I would recomend a complete flush rather than just a simple drain and replace. The flush is easy to do but you need a lot of quarts of fluid. Around 10ish.
thanks......but i heard a flush is a bad idea....
OMAHA is offline  
Old 08-02-14, 01:37 PM
  #5  
OMAHA
Pole Position
Thread Starter
 
OMAHA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 333
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Bill Dowd View Post
I use Max Life trans fluid or mobile one in my trans and power steering mobile one extended one in my engine and the mobile one 75-90 in the rear end. If the rear end is limited slip use redline 75-90 Gl5 for limited rear end my 91 LS has over 300,000 miles and no problems ran an 1986 Toyota Cressida over 500,000 miles using the same stuff and nothing ever wore out great cars Toyota.
ok! sounds good! i was thinking full synthetic VALVOLINE
OMAHA is offline  
Old 08-02-14, 02:06 PM
  #6  
RA40
Super Moderator
iTrader: (6)
 
RA40's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: California
Posts: 18,789
Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
Default

The incremental drain works well for many of us. That is why it is suggested in the other transmission fluid discussion threads. Plenty of discussions here and other car forums on flushing a transmission.
RA40 is offline  
Old 08-02-14, 02:53 PM
  #7  
RugbyDad
Pole Position
 
RugbyDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: NY
Posts: 250
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by OMAHA View Post
thanks......but i heard a flush is a bad idea....
Maybe he meant a fluid exchange. Sometimes people use flush when they mean exchange. They aren't interchangeable. An exchange is different from a drain and fill though. There's a tutorial on lexls for a fluid exchange.

Last edited by RugbyDad; 08-02-14 at 04:23 PM.
RugbyDad is offline  
Old 08-02-14, 04:06 PM
  #8  
anesthesia
Pole Position
 
anesthesia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ca
Posts: 226
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Stick with Toyota type IV fluids and no flushing just exchange you will be happy.
anesthesia is offline  
Old 08-02-14, 06:10 PM
  #9  
OMAHA
Pole Position
Thread Starter
 
OMAHA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 333
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by anesthesia View Post
Stick with Toyota type IV fluids and no flushing just exchange you will be happy.
yea....when in doubt, use o.e.m.!
OMAHA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1994 LS400......transmission fluid needs replaced


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: