LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

heavy black caked gunk intake manifold and ports on head

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-14, 12:28 AM
kaduku
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heavy black caked gunk intake manifold and ports on head

So im still pretty new to this engine. And i picked up a 93 ls motor for my 240sx swap. When i took the intake manifold off and throttle body off it was caked with black gunk. Even the intake ports on the head is caked with it. Now my question is,how bad is this. Motor has approx. 125k miles.(rounding up) ive seen the cluster in the car before engine was removed.
Old 07-27-14, 12:33 AM
kaduku
Driver School Candidate

Last edited by kaduku; 07-27-14 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-27-14, 06:21 AM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Good pictures

Not really unusual to find these types of deposits in an engine that hasn't been cleaned, and probably used cheap gas for years. But this is a good opportunity to thoroughly clean your whole intake manifold and throttle body. Just be really careful not to mess up the MAF sensor. Unless you remove the heads, it won't be easy to clean the valve ports without sending a bunch of crap down into the cylinders, but it can be done. Might be better to do a light cleaning of the intake ports now, and run a few tanks of gas with a quality top-end cleaning agent after you get it all back together. The manifold and TB are by far the most important things to do at this point.
Old 07-27-14, 11:08 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I have my manifold off right now in the middle of a starter job. My ports look exactly the same way. I cleaned up the manifold as well as the throttle with some carb cleaner and wiped up the intake ports lightly in the hopes that once I run some seafoam or techron in the gas for a while it will clean it up. I sprayed some of the carb cleaner on a toothbrush and lightly scrubbed the ports.
Old 07-27-14, 11:45 AM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

@kaduku, as sha400 mentions his starter job, I would recommend you take a look at yours while you have the manifold off. Take a look at my posts here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...rogress-3.html

Spending a few bucks for the starter contacts/plunger kit could save you the hassle of removing the manifold again in the future.

Five years later, mine's still going strong.
Old 07-27-14, 07:42 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

just carbon deposits, same as you see on pretty much any well used engine when you take it apart...
Old 07-27-14, 11:32 PM
kaduku
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, i have sent my intake manifold off to get hot tanked and cleaned. And i already bought a new starter and knock sensor since the manifold was off. Read also you can possibly replace the wire harness there as well. But where can i buy that harness. Im just doing a minor overhaul, Since ill be using this motor for drifting. I have the heads off already.its getting decked and having the intake ports clean. replacing the head gasket since i have everything out anyways. And quick question here. Anyone suggest what kind of cams i can swap out the stock ones with? Looking for a mild cams btw.