LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

tranns fluid in the power steering??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-14, 01:48 PM
91LS4OO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranns fluid in the power steering??

Opened up my power steering reservoir to make sure it was topped off and found red tranny fluid color in the reservoir???. Where do I start to look for problems?? I have a 98 Ls400.
Old 04-03-14, 01:54 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

it's supposed to have red Dexron III/Mercon spec transmission fluid in the power steering.
Old 04-03-14, 01:55 PM
91LS4OO
Driver School Candidate

I feel like an idiot. thank god. !!! any way. Im cool......hows your day bob... good ...good. ok.
Old 04-04-14, 12:10 PM
jimmycofc
Driver School Candidate

The guy I bought my '96 from gave me a file folder full of sales tickets and invoices from work he had done on it. One of them was a sales receipt from Auto Zone for two bottles of power steering fluid with stop leak. I had read the owner's manual by then, so I asked him about that, and he really did put that in the car.

My question is: how much of a rush should I be in to get that changed to the correct stuff?

Can I do that, or do I need to take it to the shop?

thanks
Old 04-04-14, 01:11 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

You should get that out as soon as possible IMO. The real question is why he felt he need stop leak? What issues was he experiencing?
Old 04-04-14, 01:22 PM
IBGREEZY
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimmycofc

My question is: how much of a rush should I be in to get that changed to the correct stuff?

If it were my car I would change/flush it out ASAP. The power steering systems in our cars are designed to be used with ATF. Failing to use the recommended fluid ( DEX MERCIII) will result in premature wear of internal seals etc....Good Luck.
Old 04-04-14, 01:26 PM
IBGREEZY
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steering/psflush.html

The procedure in this tutorial should be similar if not the same as first gens. If you don't feel comfortable attempting this on your own, bring it to a mechanic of your choice.
Old 04-04-14, 01:46 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmycofc
The guy I bought my '96 from gave me a file folder full of sales tickets and invoices from work he had done on it. One of them was a sales receipt from Auto Zone for two bottles of power steering fluid with stop leak. I had read the owner's manual by then, so I asked him about that, and he really did put that in the car.

Can I do that, or do I need to take it to the shop?

thanks
Get the PS leak fixed and then flush so that the fluid is correct.
Old 05-26-14, 04:15 PM
jimmycofc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sha4000
You should get that out as soon as possible IMO. The real question is why he felt he need stop leak? What issues was he experiencing?
Now it seems that it's not as simple as I first thought. The ticket for the power steering fluid is dated November of 2011. I asked the seller when he put the power steering fluid in the car. He's not sure that he ever did. Somebody on this list asked why he thought he needed stop leak. It's because the pump was leaking. But then he decided to replace the pump instead. So the car has a new/rebuilt power steering pump and he doesn't remember what he put in for fluid. When I first got the car on trial, I added a couple of ounces of Dexron III because it was low. So now it has either all Dexron or a mixture of mostly power steering fluid and a little Dexron. Now my question is: is there any way to tell what I've got in my power steering system?
Old 05-26-14, 05:50 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

heck the color, it should be red.
Old 07-15-14, 12:58 AM
Caseyjones
Rookie

I thought my trans front pump was starving or shot... I got under the hood, narrowly being cut in half by it coming back down on me (hood struts are a project for another day) and it was obvously PS.

Level is uniform and no obvious leak, maybe the slightest weep evident on the pass side rack bellows. What really surprised me was the appearance of the fluid. It looks like chocolate milk or muddy water, or like my old Civic when I forced it around town for weeks with a terribly blown head gasket, with the cruddy milky brown oil. It steers well but the wheel is a little heavy. While driving its barely audible but really sounds like the trans pump through 2nd gear then it fades out, also fades out some when warmer. Experiencing a rush of relief that the trans is not the culprit.

I'm still waiting for my manual and a search didn't reveal anything like this symptom so I must ask before I act.

Is the PS system cooled in the radiator like the transmission? Where the hell did all the water (probably) contamination come from? I cant see where the lines enter the radiator... am I missing something?

I found the link on how to flush and found 2 gal Dextron/MerconIII, I'll be doing that immediately but was hoping for input on contamination first, maybe something needs to be repaired or maybe it was brutally ignored while the rest of the car seems to have been maintained properly.
Any ideas welcome. Pics to come after I get out there to flush it if it will help. Maybe some rectal wart thought thats where the washer fluid went?

Thanks in advance.

96 LS 400, 175k mi
Old 07-15-14, 07:59 AM
RupertD
Driver School Candidate

Hi, its possible that some Beavis has put ordinary power steering oil in ,when that stuff mixes with Dexron it turns a bit like yuki chocolate milk ,I would flush the system to be on the safe side . The power steering cooler is the long U shaped pipe that sits in front of the A/C radiator .
Old 07-15-14, 08:45 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Flush and fill with trans fluid... and make sure it's not leaking on to the alternator, or you'll be buying one of those next...
Old 07-15-14, 11:06 AM
Caseyjones
Rookie

Thank you, I'm glad it does not go into the radiator, and that would explain the Fajita night fecal appearance of the fluid as well with the fluids mixing. Probably (hopefully) also explains the PS pump that sounds like an 1983 Ford Tempo.

I just came from the auto parts house with 6qt DextronIII/Mercon having just visited the flushing link. I'll be doing that tomorrow morning in high hopes.

I examined the system for leaks and can find nothing other than a possible weep at the rack, I read about it leaking into the alt. It was actually properly filled but the condition of the fluid makes me wonder how it could NOT whine.

This and that lower EGR tube and she should be whisper quiet!

Thank you very much folks! you guys rock!
Old 07-16-14, 11:27 AM
Caseyjones
Rookie

Flush done according to the link here, 6qts complete with short bursts to prevent running the sump dry. Now its back together with nice sweet pink Dextron. It seems just a little louder now than before the flush, also it groans slightly while turning the wheel which is a new symptom. It functions quite well though.

Maybe they poured in some liquid pump quiet juice or something instead of simply adding the wrong fluid.

Maybe some air trapped in the pump somewhere, Any thoughts other than a new PS pump? Even though it works it will bother me enough to warrant replacement if it doesnt quiet down.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: tranns fluid in the power steering??