LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

aux cord with stock radio made easy

Old 07-10-14, 12:07 PM
297xxxl400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aux cord with stock radio made easy

thought id share an upgrade i just did i got it from the sc forums so i wanted to make sure all my ls ers know about it. i did put my own twist on it
parts needed
aux tape player adapter
3 pin mini female connector (i got mine out of an old computer at my shop)
so first take apart the tape part of the aux tape adapter( about 6 small screws)
once open youll see a small circuit board with 3 wires the board should have lableing for l and r look closely its important to get it right, ground unsheilded and shielded left and right you will need to burn a small amount of the insulation so you can connect it to the 3 pin female harness you have remember which side you connect the wires to the ground will be the middle.now you should have a 3.5 mm audio jack on one side and a 3 pin mini connector on the other side.
next take out the radio you can find instuctions on this on another thread top vents pop out with flathead be careful ash tray and shifter cover also pop out with flathead 4 8mm bolts for the radio. once out remove the back cover completely after the screws are out it has tape on the bottom. once out take out the rear board, it comes slightly out outwards then up be careful youre not taking completely out leave it connected and just flip it on top of tyhe radio.once out of your way you will see a small 3 pin male connector remember left and right and connect. reverse assembly to reinstall i routed my wires out the top left corner of the rear of the radio under my ashtray under my shifter cover and between the seem to the dash/center console. you will need to connect you cell charger to your cig lighter for a shronger ground at least i did my sound was terrible at first and i gave up. but that night i was charging my phone through the cig lighter and tried it and voila crystal clear and everything is still stock but sounds aftermarket hope this helps a fellow tinkerer all credit to the guys that came up with this im just a messenger sound like alot but it took me about half an hr once i started
Old 07-10-14, 02:17 PM
charlesw62
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 297xxxl400
thought id share an upgrade i just did i got it from the sc forums so i wanted to make sure all my ls ers know about it. i did put my own twist on it
parts needed
aux tape player adapter
3 pin mini female connector (i got mine out of an old computer at my shop)
so first take apart the tape part of the aux tape adapter( about 6 small screws)
once open youll see a small circuit board with 3 wires the board should have lableing for l and r look closely its important to get it right, ground unsheilded and shielded left and right you will need to burn a small amount of the insulation so you can connect it to the 3 pin female harness you have remember which side you connect the wires to the ground will be the middle.now you should have a 3.5 mm audio jack on one side and a 3 pin mini connector on the other side.
next take out the radio you can find instuctions on this on another thread top vents pop out with flathead be careful ash tray and shifter cover also pop out with flathead 4 8mm bolts for the radio. once out remove the back cover completely after the screws are out it has tape on the bottom. once out take out the rear board, it comes slightly out outwards then up be careful youre not taking completely out leave it connected and just flip it on top of tyhe radio.once out of your way you will see a small 3 pin male connector remember left and right and connect. reverse assembly to reinstall i routed my wires out the top left corner of the rear of the radio under my ashtray under my shifter cover and between the seem to the dash/center console. you will need to connect you cell charger to your cig lighter for a shronger ground at least i did my sound was terrible at first and i gave up. but that night i was charging my phone through the cig lighter and tried it and voila crystal clear and everything is still stock but sounds aftermarket hope this helps a fellow tinkerer all credit to the guys that came up with this im just a messenger sound like alot but it took me about half an hr once i started
I should try this. Beats having to replace the HU
Old 07-10-14, 03:55 PM
297xxxl400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah its nice hey guys if anyone can chime in i wanted to know why with my phone aux connected only its sounds bad but when i connect my charger to the phone using the cig lighter the sound comes in and sounds great you guys think its a ground issue? my charger connected to the cig lighter creating a loop? im happy and confused. any info is appreciated
Old 07-10-14, 07:54 PM
GH5T
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some pictures would have been nice. can you remember what thread you were reading in the sc forum?
Old 07-11-14, 01:38 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

there's a couple, I'm personally not a fan for most people as any inexperience/fumbling when working on the mainboard will leave you with a dead headunit.
Old 07-11-14, 06:23 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it went from made easy to...guess and hope you dont fk up anything