LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Urgent! Timing belt install/line-up question!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-09, 10:48 AM
johnslee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent! Timing belt install/line-up question!!

Hey guys...I am about the install the new Tbelt..I just want to confirm before I put everythings back..I got both the RH/LH camshaft line-up to the mark on the housing..also my crankshaft at the "0" mark..but how can I tell if my cranshaft at the TDC? I want to make sure I am not being 180' off! I accidently got crankshaft turnings few times while I tries to took the crank bolt off..is there a way that I can check for it? thanks
Old 02-16-09, 11:13 AM
johnslee
Rookie

Never mind! got my brain working again :-) as long as my RH/LH at the marks and Crankshaft at "0"..everythings should be line-up perfectly..thanks
Old 04-29-09, 02:05 PM
rx7guy
Driver School Candidate

What if your RH/LH camshaft marks are off by one tooth? Is that bad or should redo it again?

Didn't want to create another thread for this.
Old 05-01-09, 07:10 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes if you are off by one tooth, that dramatically affects cam timing by several degrees. i would fix it asap. you'll have a loss of top end or low end power depending on which side it's off.
Old 05-04-09, 03:18 PM
rx7guy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! Will redo.
Old 05-05-09, 09:17 AM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnslee
Hey guys...I am about the install the new Tbelt..I just want to confirm before I put everythings back..I got both the RH/LH camshaft line-up to the mark on the housing..also my crankshaft at the "0" mark..but how can I tell if my cranshaft at the TDC? I want to make sure I am not being 180' off! I accidently got crankshaft turnings few times while I tries to took the crank bolt off..is there a way that I can check for it? thanks
Step 1. Buy OEM.

Step 2. Line up the crank belt with the crank pulley, if you have to put on the crank pulley to see if your at 0* (#1 TDC).

Step 3. Line up left cam with alignment mark.

Step 4. Line up right cam with alignment mark, you might have to spin the cam just to tighten up the belt.

Step 5. Make sure the loose slack is on underneath the R cam, this is because the tensioner will take this slack up.

Step 6. Bolt in tensioner, adjust belt for the tensinoer to properly take up the slack, pull the pin in the tensioner, and your set.

Step 7. Assemble.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-05-09, 10:46 AM
cation
Rookie

^Good summary!

I just got done with my timing belt install this past weekend. I replaced my cam and crank seals as well since they had a nasty leak. Took me about 9hrs total, but I'm good for another 90k.
Old 05-13-09, 11:04 PM
rx7guy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for these wonderful pics! I think my timing is off because I went to start it and it runs rough.

I guess I'll need to tear it down again!

BTW, have you tried the TDC method meaning you put on the timing cover and use the crankshaft pulley to align the crankshaft to 0 while aligning the camshaft pulleys to the engine marks?

That's what I tried and it didn't work. My LH camshaft pulley mark was non-existent(I think it rubbed off) and I used an indentation mark on the backside of the LH camshaft pulley. Is that still right?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mike
Old 05-14-09, 09:49 AM
3UZFTE

Originally Posted by rx7guy
Thanks for these wonderful pics! I think my timing is off because I went to start it and it runs rough.

I guess I'll need to tear it down again!

BTW, have you tried the TDC method meaning you put on the timing cover and use the crankshaft pulley to align the crankshaft to 0 while aligning the camshaft pulleys to the engine marks?

That's what I tried and it didn't work. My LH camshaft pulley mark was non-existent(I think it rubbed off) and I used an indentation mark on the backside of the LH camshaft pulley. Is that still right?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mike
Basically, I did what you did, but instead of wasting my time to put the timing cover back on and identify TDC, I just did that when I took the engine apart. That being said, it doesn't matter how you get to TDC, there is still only one TDC. If you need to put it back on to identify fine, otherwise just spin it til the marks line up like in the picture. If you haven't already searched how to do a timing belt here (club lexus), lextreme, planet soarer, and other forums, do so. Venture on over to Google, and type in "1uz timing marks", and the first site is a great manual to do it yourself. Make sure you are using the timing mark, and not the trigger for timing. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 05-14-09, 11:08 AM
rx7guy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your help. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to doing timing belt changes. I definitely love these pics you posted. This will definitely help me out when I get back into tearing it down again.

Mike
Old 05-14-09, 11:54 AM
3UZFTE

No problem, that's the reason why I did it, to help people like yourself get more comfortable doing this. We all have to start out somewhere, your doing the right thing by seeking advice and knowledge before tackling the project. I have worked on many engines, mostly small block chevys and fords. I def. understand what your talking about being 180*, however, DOHC engines are a little easier, IMO. Just make sure everything lines up, if everything is line up, spin the motor around by using the crank bolt and 22mm socket, spin it around 4-5 times, and see if all your timing marks line up. The belt itself will not line up almost ever again, so do not use the belt as a reference once the motor is spun once. Good luck, keep us posted.
Old 05-20-09, 10:13 PM
rx7guy
Driver School Candidate

So I re-did it again and now the timing's right but starting is an issue. It sounds like it wants to start but doesn't catch. I had one question, how do you align the distributor rotors? I see on lexls.com that you have to align the protusion of the rotor with the groove of the camshaft timing pulley. Anyone have a picture of it? Does the protusion look like a little stick?

thx
Old 05-21-09, 09:33 AM
3UZFTE

Sorry, as I do not have pictures of the marks up close, however I can provide you this picture which shows there the rotors are pointing. They are point right at the marks, if you zoom in on the picture you will be able to see that on the outside of the silver housing, there is a little index mark, which is the timing groove. It is not a protrusion, as it in a cut or slice into the housing. Hope this helps.

Last edited by 3UZFTE; 05-21-09 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-21-09, 10:53 AM
rx7guy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the wonderful pics again! I also subscribed to techinfo.toyota.com and I see how to do it now. Thanks again! So close to firing up this bad boy I can just hear it purring...

Mike
Old 05-21-09, 10:56 AM
rx7guy
Driver School Candidate

I also might have switched the rotors...oops.

Quick Reply: Urgent! Timing belt install/line-up question!!