LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Spring Options?

Old 06-22-14, 10:51 PM
Sewpra
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring Options?

Recently my spring perch on my drivers rear broke, the car droops in the drivers rear and will scrape over bumps on that wheel, when I have someone lift the fender I can see the perch is almost vertical sideways on the strut body now. I have yet to confirm if the spring has broken as well but last I checked it didn't look like it, having said that I still think it's safe to assume that a failure of the strut in that fashion can't be good for the spring since it appears to almost "twist" the spring at an angle pointing away from the car.

I have only recently realized that aside from the option of coilovers, these cars (at least the UCF10) have terrible suspension options, I'm doing my rears first and just got my KYB's in, but I've been on the fence now about other options in the strut assembly. First off I'm assuming it's highly recommended for me to get new mounts? And KYB seems to be the obvious choice for those for cost and quality.

If I'm going with new springs I'm not sure whether I want to buy OEM, H&R, or Tanabe, OEM seems to be the most costly when considering a whole set of 4, but then again, I wanted to hold off on doing the front suspension work for at least two months, so the OEM has the benefit of me not having to purchase all 4 at once like the lowering springs.

Question regarding OEM when I looked up part #'s

Are the first 2 PN's listed here interchangeable? Any benefit from the 92-94's? Are they stiffer? Also does anyone have any experience with these "rough road package" springs?

I'm hoping I won't need new bumpers because I want to give the stealer as less of my money as I can and I can't find anywhere on the internet that sells these OE parts other than the dealers (I know the pricing is fair, but Sewell and others shipping costs to Canada are absurd.)

What's every ones opinion on re-using the insulators/boots? I don't even understand how there can be two of them on the rear struts.
Old 06-23-14, 12:16 AM
Sewpra
Rookie

I keep forgetting this forum doesn't have an input for car model on CP, the car is a 1991 LS400.
Old 06-24-14, 11:53 AM
Sewpra
Rookie

Stealer here quoted me $200 for the 89+ springs, $178 for the 92+. As mentioned if the 92+ are better it would be great to buy the better AND cheaper part. I know the chassis geometry didn't change between 91-92 so it should make sense.

Having said that, I find these prices to be ridiculous for coil springs, my funds are tight and I'm trying to accomplish the feat of finding 2 rear OE springs for less than a set of H&R/Tanabe right now.

By any chance does ANYONE have any new or used OE rear coils they'd sell? As long as they're not in "bad" shape at least I can throw them on my new struts for now until I get lowering springs.

Again, it seems very logical to me that retaining my spring that is now sitting loosely at an angle over the strut which has the welds from the perch broken would not be advised?
Old 06-24-14, 02:32 PM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got all the original shocks/struts for my '97 sitting in a box in a shed I'd be willing to part with, but I don't believe they'd work on your application and the shipping to Canada would be ridiculous I'm sure.
Old 06-25-14, 03:41 PM
Sewpra
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mugen_1
I've got all the original shocks/struts for my '97 sitting in a box in a shed I'd be willing to part with, but I don't believe they'd work on your application and the shipping to Canada would be ridiculous I'm sure.
You may actually be able to help me my friend, I know for a fact the struts won't be compatible but the coil springs may very well be, especially if cutting them is considered to make it work. Just need a seasoned suspension god here to chime in.

Shipping isn't so bad if by US mail postal service with tracking and all that, I'd certainly pay it because it WILL be cheaper than absurd courier prices american online dealers use.

So I can get h&rs for ~ $260 shipped, but really I only need back springs for now, how much would you part with the rear coils for if they're compatible? They would need a spring compressor to remove off strut if you can do that, if not I guess I could buy the whole assembly but I wouldn't use it due to incompatibility as mentioned.

Sounds like good news though!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup