LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Question about changing cam seals on 98 with VVT-i

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-14, 10:52 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

needle-nose vice grips for the end of the cable. it was designed to move so if it isn't you broke it
Old 05-15-14, 11:23 AM
MngreLMatt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a quick video I just took. Yours looks really dirty, maybe this visual will help in understanding how it is oriented in there ( If you don't already know). One thing I know is that the Throttle Cable is VERY strong cable. Hope this helps, I can take a couple more if need be.

Old 05-15-14, 11:24 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
needle-nose vice grips for the end of the cable. it was designed to move so if it isn't you broke it
I didn't break it pd. The cable seems like it is stuck in there. When I open the throttle all the way I expect it should just slip out but it doesn't. I have not tried to force it since I don't want to snap the cable.
Old 05-15-14, 12:24 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by MngreLMatt
Here's a quick video I just took. Yours looks really dirty, maybe this visual will help in understanding how it is oriented in there ( If you don't already know). One thing I know is that the Throttle Cable is VERY strong cable. Hope this helps, I can take a couple more if need be.
for the video! good job!
Old 05-15-14, 02:03 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Well I got the cable off it was really stuck in there. I had to open the throttle up and hold it with a screwdriver then take another ice pic type screw diver and bang it out from the back side off the throttle lever. There is a hole there I guess for these type of situations. You can see why it was stuck when you look at the pic. I actually got in touch with another member PjLex who has done this job and he should be posting in this thread.
Attached Thumbnails Question about changing cam seals on 98 with VVT-i-throttlecableremoved.jpg  

Last edited by sha4000; 05-17-14 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Resize
Old 05-15-14, 03:55 PM
PjLex
Driver

Hey there.

OK lets get clear about where you are at in this repair/ install of the cam shaft oil seals. What do you still have to remove? etc?
Old 05-15-14, 03:58 PM
PjLex
Driver

I recall taking off the throttle body, but as i recall I didn't disconnect the wire from from the throttle body. I unbolted it and then put it to the side while still connected via wire. I even reused the gasket, which for me was okay, because it was in good condition.
Old 05-15-14, 07:32 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PjLex
I recall taking off the throttle body, but as i recall I didn't disconnect the wire from from the throttle body. I unbolted it and then put it to the side while still connected via wire. I even reused the gasket, which for me was okay, because it was in good condition.
Sorry I had to go to a PTA meeting at my sons school so I just got back. I got the throttle body off already and I have Everything off on the passenger side. All bearing caps with the service bolt in place I just have not removed those cams because I want to remove everything on both sides at the same time and put them back as soon as I'm finished. The drivers side caps are still on since I need to line up the marks an insert the service bolt.

Another thing is that I ordered what I thought were cam seals but they are smaller than the seal thats on the timing tube but they were described as cam seals when I ordered them from lexus of south Atlanta. I'm finding out even though they have the best prices that they have sent me the wrong part two times before and maybe a third if these are not the correct seals. I'll post a pic of the seals.

My question is how did YOU align the service bolt holes? How did you remove the cams? Both exhaust and intake at the same time or one before the other? And lastly how did you realign the cams to put them back at 50 degrees past TDC? I know that's a lot of questions but hopefully you can clear it up for me and anyone else that reads this thread in the future. I have scoured the web and there is not one tutorial on how to do this job on the 98-00 ls400.
Attached Thumbnails Question about changing cam seals on 98 with VVT-i-ocvfilter.jpg   Question about changing cam seals on 98 with VVT-i-oilneardrivercam.jpg   Question about changing cam seals on 98 with VVT-i-oilseal.jpg   Question about changing cam seals on 98 with VVT-i-oilseal1.jpg   Question about changing cam seals on 98 with VVT-i-passengercamservicebolt.jpg  

Last edited by sha4000; 05-17-14 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Resize
Old 05-15-14, 07:37 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Here is a pic of the seal on the timing tube.
Attached Thumbnails Question about changing cam seals on 98 with VVT-i-timingtube.jpg  

Last edited by sha4000; 05-17-14 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Resize
Old 05-15-14, 08:17 PM
PjLex
Driver

okay, thanks for the update.

First things first, the all important thing is the cam's alignment and keeping that alignment through out the job and finishing with it. You lose alignment and your engine is ****ed, you will need a new top half. expensive.

So to start, if the cams are out of alignment, how are the out of alignment specifically? Which way did they rotate to be out of alignment and how far? You have to be sure of that. Because I essentially undid the unalignment of the cams, after you originally set the alignment in the first place.
Old 05-15-14, 08:22 PM
PjLex
Driver

Secondly for the alignment, I used a strap wrench from craftsman. With about a half inch or 3/4 wide rubber strap. That worked great, because it takes a fair amount of force to rotate the cams.
Also be aware that the driver's side cam feels like it is spring loaded to a certain degree. I had it aligned and causally touched it and that would be enough to push it and make it rotate clockwise about 1/2 a rotation.
The first time it did this, I freaked out and because it does it fairly quick and surprises you. But after i learned how to realign, I was okay. I probably had to realign the drivers side cam 3 times or as many as 6 times.
Old 05-15-14, 08:30 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Well when I was doing the timing belt I followed all the guide lines and set everything to 50 degrees past TDC. Then I removed the belt and the drivers side rotated forward a little. No problem there, I just backed it up to it's original position. I then proceeded with the rest of the TB job and changed the crank seal also. I then put the water pump and both Idler pulleys on and stopped there to turn my attention to the cam seal job.

I removed both cam covers and inspected the passenger side to see where the service hole and the cam marks were but to my surprise they were lined up perfectly already. So I placed the bolt into the service hole and went over to the drivers side. I noticed that the holes were not lined up and would need to rotate the exhaust cam a lil under half a revolution. I've been turning it slowly and almost got them lined up but felt some slight resistance so I stopped and that's where I left it for the time being until I heard from you.

By the way did you look at the pic of the seals that I have? That seal is way smaller than the seal that's on the timing tube in the pic I posted above your post. I'm trying to figure out if I have to call the dealership up and get the correct seal now.
Old 05-15-14, 08:32 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Just saw you post above after I posted. Are you saying that you can keep turning the exhaust cam to realign without doing any damage?
Old 05-15-14, 08:34 PM
PjLex
Driver

I ordered my parts from Sewell lexus online, I had a great experience with them and continue to use them. If you let them know you are a club lexus member you get and additional discount. You are probably aware of that.
I know that they are more expensive, but given the PITA nature of the job I did not want to be redoing it anytime soon. You have to have the right parts, even a little bit of difference with a gasket can really kill you. Get the part numbers and be sure.
The service bolt: i just followed the instruction exactly, to the t. At the end remember to take out the service bolts immobilizing the cams, I didn't almost completely f d my engine. I rotated the engine to check alignment and almost got the bolt stuck in the cam. I had to cut it out with a hack saw blade. Took like three hours sucked! So write a reminder. The instructions tell you that, but it is easy to get into hurry. with this job,slow is fast!
Removing and installing the cams: this is pretty straight forward per the instructions. try to remove and install the cam while keeping them level and use motor oil to lube the surfaces with the install. Also, it is nice to have a little torque wrench for the bolts, I forget the exact torque setting but it is under 25 ft lbs. I tightened them back by feel, and tried to make them the same. But I wished i had access to a torque wrench with settings under 25 ft pounds.
Also, with all the gaskets, like the Fix in Place ones. It is worth it to pay more for the exact type that Toyota specifies. the toyota brand, excellent product , others are trash.
And I forget the exact name of the part, I think it is the oil sender part on the top of the cam. I pulled those out per instructions and made sure to replace the gaskets with new ones.
Old 05-15-14, 08:35 PM
PjLex
Driver

You have to turn it back the in the right way or you are ****ed. and lose alignment.

Quick Reply: Question about changing cam seals on 98 with VVT-i