LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Gear and Limited Slip swap blues...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-03, 09:01 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Gear and Limited Slip swap blues...

Well gang, I aquired a Supra TT automatic Torsen limited slip and 3.77 gear assembly. The housing is has the correct 2 forward mounting bosses as my LS has. 98 and later went to the 2 front bolt design. 97 and earlier used 1 forward mounting bolt.

Anyway, the measurements all looked good so I pulled the stock 3.26 gear open diff off the car and noticed a problem. The 2 REAR mounting bolts go into the differential cover. The Supra's holes were the same distance apart but moved about 1 inch left :eek: BIG BUMMER. Since I could not leave my car overnight I put the stock diff back in... BTW, this is NOT easy laying on your back under a car on jackstands... did I say not easy... REALLY not easy.

Anyway, I happen to have a diff from a 95 LS400 and its cover will fit my 99. So, the plan is to swap the covers and do this ONE more time

I will keep CL up to date on this.
Old 02-13-03, 09:57 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy I feel your pain

I've been down that road, my trouble was different but I know how it goes.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=differential

Keep us informed on your progress.

Overclocker
Old 02-13-03, 12:56 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

THANKS, I forgot about your struggle.

I am going to measure both tri-yoke parts BEFORE dissassembly!

I am hoping it is the same but if not NOW is the time to know about it. I would have been VERY unhappy to R&R this thing a second time only to have another glitch. :eek:
Old 02-14-03, 07:34 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Angry BIG PROBLEM

BIG PROBLEM

The differential is NOT a limited slip

Now, I bought this from a Supra SHOP in Chicago. I have just sent them an email requesting a call. I called the number I have for the guy that sent it and it rang 6 times and stopped.

SO... I will give them a few hours to respond. My expectations are that they should give me my money back. They (I corresponded with 2 of the "shop" guys) said they would not send COD even if I paid for the shipping charges in advance. So, I took a chance and paid in full via PayPal. They promptly shipped the part but as I said above it was NOT as advertised. How did this happen? Either they do not know what they are talking about (scary thought for a "shop") or they flat out lied to me. For now, I will give them the benefit of the 1st maybe.

For the moment... I am not going to name names or the shop. Should they fail to take care of this promptly I will post the outcome of my dealings with this "shop" in ALL the forums that I participate. I will even join all the Supra forums to post my experience. This would cost them WAY more than the meager amount they charged me. Hopefully (for them) they will take care of this TODAY.

Stay tuned.
Old 02-14-03, 01:19 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Well, I cannot get the guy that sold me this differential on the phone but we have exchanged several emails. He is adament that the unit he sent me HAS to be an LSD because everyone tells him that all Supra TTs were LSD. Unfortunately, this is NOT the case. I obviously have a non-LSD differential from his 98 Supra automatic twin turbo

So, it appears that he is honest and in no way tried to deceive me BUT he is arguing that I am WRONG!!!

I am a bit frustrated at this point but am hoping this guy will do the right thing and give me a refund.
Old 02-14-03, 01:29 PM
DVS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe he sent you a Diff- for a Non turbo?
Old 02-14-03, 02:28 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Non-turbos have 4.27 gears. This one has the correct 3.77s found in the TT automatics. Like I said, this appears to be an honest mistake but never-the-less is a part that he required me to pay in full before shipping AND represented it as a LSD. This being the case, he owes me a refund (and of course I would return his part).

So far, no phone call, he did request pictures so I will post those as soon as I take them... probably tomorrow... this has been exhausting and it is NOT over
Old 02-14-03, 02:44 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Here are some pictures from the TRD website showing both types of LSDs. This one is the Torsen style and is shown open. If you look carefully you can see the worm gears that engage and turn the axles when assembled.

Here is the TRD clutch type LSD. It has a housing that contains a conventional spicer and spider gear differential and the clutch pack that keeps both tires spinning.

Tomorrow I will post pictures of the carrier I received... it is NOTHING like either of these 2. It is a conventional, non-LSD differential

Last edited by JBrady; 02-14-03 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-14-03, 05:49 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

John,

Just wondering, how do u know its not LSD? I have a friend with a 95 SC400. Does it have LSD? He is parting it out. If the 95 SC400 has LSD. I can ask for the price. I am sure its cheap. He is selling me his complete engine 1UZFE for $400.

Last edited by Lextreme; 02-14-03 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-17-03, 05:24 AM
TomWahjudi
Driver

Lextreme,

To check for LSD is quite easy. Holding the pinion gear still, try to spin one of the output flanges. If the other flange spins the other way, it's open. If the other flange spins the same way AND trying to spin the pinion gear, it's LSD or at least the clutch type.

The Torsen type is a little different and I'm not sure if this method will work.

TFW
Old 02-20-03, 10:01 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

On the 97 Supra... Toyota went to the style Torsen LSD pictured above. This style will counter rotate the axles similar to an open diff but with more resistance.

I do not know conclusively how the earlier style responds but my guess is that it would emulated a clutch type LSD and both axles would turn in the same direction. I guess we need someone with conclusive knowledge about this.