LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Coming out of an Audi, looking at Lexus alternative... :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-14, 03:00 PM
98b5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Coming out of an Audi, looking at Lexus alternative... :)

Hello LS 400 people! I'm about to get out of a 98 A4 Avant. I love my car, but I've spent 3K in maintenance in a year, and that just doesn't make sense for a college student to be doing something like that.

ANYWAYS... I'm looking for something a little more cruiser-like, as the Audi was a 5 speed, Quattro, and S-line. I love sporty cars of course, I just want to try out something different (and more reliable--hopefully).

I've been cruising Craigslist, and I found THIS. It looks great and the owner seems like they cared for it, but it has 200K miles. I've heard of the wonders, reliability-wise, of the LS and this car seems like a grade-A example. Also, in the ad, they say that they've taken care of the typical problem areas that I've found in my research.

I also found THIS. Looks cool, but its an older model and is there for a lot slower than the 96'. Also, it seems a little more thrashed.

Lastly, I want to know if you guys think that an LS is a good choice considering what I'd like in the replacement for my Audi. I'm not looking for a speed/handling king like the Audi (although the LS is pretty much as fast as the Audi I have and gets the same mpg - lol). I want something thats nice, thats cheaper than the Audi to run, and is more reliable than the Audi. I don't really care if its not as fun to drive, or isn't as fast, just as long as it isn't dangerous haha.

Thanks for any and all help you guys may be able to provide for me!
Old 04-30-14, 03:14 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would highly recommend the LS. I am a recovering VW fan, and to compare a VW/Audi to a Lexus is not even a comparison. The LS is an incredible car that is brilliantly designed. Mine is 16 years old but is more solid and reliable than my 2012 VW I sold last year.
Old 04-30-14, 03:38 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

cruiser? the LS is it! very plush on the highway.

i've worked on my fair share of late model audis (b4 and b5) and vw (MKIV and V) and i feel your pain. the LS400 is largely more reliable that any of them! of course we are comparing apples to oranges here but toyotas (lexus) are known for their reliability where the LS400 is the flagship model.

what is your budget? that 96 is high mileage and i don't prefer the color. there should be better choices around socal so keep looking. also check san diego and inland empire counties. i suggest if budget allows to find a 98-00 model. they are so many improvements over the older models and they aren't that much more expensive.
http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html

stay away from cars with factory air suspension as they all tend to leak nowadays due to age. repair is costly where most upgrade to spring/shock anyway. you can tell by looking at the shifter if the car has it. the "height" switch.

also these cars' timing belt interval is similar to audi, every 90k. when looking for one, make sure this is up to date though it is very doable yourself depending on your technical skill. there are DIY on here.
Old 04-30-14, 04:01 PM
98b5
Driver School Candidate

My price range is as close as I can get to 3,500. So im not really expecting a 98-00 car.... should I not go for an LS unless it is those years?
Old 04-30-14, 04:02 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

With that price range, I'm going to be honest and recommend that you look at a different car. Yes, the LS is stupid reliable but it's still a Lexus and isn't cheap to maintain.
Old 04-30-14, 04:17 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Finding a sample that has had regular maintenance is what will separate a money pit and one that will eat less of your wallet. Either way, you can expect to put some $ in to fix various issues now that they are getting on in years. For your price point, the 95-97 depending on miles. There are nice 90-94 but they are likely going to have more wear. Being able to DIY will help in limiting the expense.

Start looking, let us know what you find and we'll advise.
Old 04-30-14, 04:25 PM
timmy0tool

i don't think they are that expensive to maintain, esp coming from an audi. timing belt/water pump parts alone are $300-400. once you get that out of the way, then it's pretty much give it gas and go.

other problems with these cars are the gauge cluster lights ($100-300), ECU which needs rebuilding by someone who knows electronics ($200), front strut rod bushings ($200), transmission mound ($50), and power steering leak ($3 o-ring). i think that pretty reasonable for a car this old.

$3500 is a decent budget but yes you will need a bit more to get the car back to reliable again unless the previous owner has everything taken care of. that 96 probably needs a timing belt change soon, so you can use that to bargain! you should be able to find a decent 95-97 model for that price!
Old 04-30-14, 05:14 PM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My recent 180K service ran me around $1,200 with parts/labor. Mine's a '97 and just rolled over 196K, and I'll blow past 200K within the next month.

Other than the dreaded power steering fluid leak (which isn't an expensive fix as noted above, unless it also costs you your alternator like it did in my case), my car has been bulletproof as far as reliability is concerned.

A '98-'00 will also get you an extra gear in the transmission and 30 more horses thanks to VVT-i (along with a host of other changes), for what that's worth.

I've had mine since 2007 (coming off a '99 Accord V6) and while I'm in the market for a Genesis sedan right now, the Lexus is staying.
Old 04-30-14, 07:24 PM
98b5
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much for all the responses guys! Don't tell Audizine I said this, but you guys are super cool I was wondering if anyone could make, or point me to, a check-list of some kind in regards of what to look for when purchasing a high-mileage LS400.

Basically just everything that typically goes wrong with one is what I'm asking for.

I see this "the gauge cluster lights ($100-300), ECU which needs rebuilding by someone who knows electronics ($200), front strut rod bushings ($200), transmission mound ($50), and power steering leak ($3 o-ring)", but is there anything else I should look for in particular?
Old 04-30-14, 09:49 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Add to the list: the rear carrier bushings, inner and outer tie rods, upper control arms, timing belt&water pump every 96k miles.

Having spent a long time working on German cars and lots of Audi's... You are going to live the cost of ownership of switching to a Lexus. If you are even moderately mechanically inclined, you can save thousands of dollars by doing the work yourself. These cars are so well engineered and put together in such a well thought out way, they definitely are much easier to work on than your old Audi!
95-97 are very nice cars, basically the exact same chassis as the 98-00 with some obvious differences.
No matter what year you get, these engines and transmissions will run for 300+k miles with normal maintenance.
Old 05-01-14, 01:53 AM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
With that price range, I'm going to be honest and recommend that you look at a different car. Yes, the LS is stupid reliable but it's still a Lexus and isn't cheap to maintain.
and what would be more reliable in the price range? ive owned my lexus for 3-4 months now i go it for 1800. and all ive throw at it was 300 to make it in perfect shape and have everylittle thing fixed. + a battery in tht. of course i did all the work my self but if hes spending 3-4k a year on maintence tthat means he woldve alredy spent more mmoney on his audi in the time frame then i spent on my lexus. i think he should keep looking and find a nice one
Old 05-01-14, 05:01 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by xxmariolxx
and what would be more reliable in the price range? ive owned my lexus for 3-4 months now i go it for 1800. and all ive throw at it was 300 to make it in perfect shape and have everylittle thing fixed. + a battery in tht. of course i did all the work my self but if hes spending 3-4k a year on maintence tthat means he woldve alredy spent more mmoney on his audi in the time frame then i spent on my lexus. i think he should keep looking and find a nice one
Not more reliable, but just cheaper to maintain and drive. He's a college student, so i figured he would be best looking for something that's cheaper all around.

But I digress...
Old 05-01-14, 06:46 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I tend to agree with hypervish... cheaper all around to purchase and maintain would be the way to go for a college student. Toyota and Honda both make some reliable vehicles that are less maintenance... Honda even has some vehicles with a timing chain and not a belt...so even less maintenance. Hate to see someone so young get spoiled with a Lexus, not much room to go up when you start at the top... lol
Old 05-01-14, 08:22 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Not more reliable, but just cheaper to maintain and drive. He's a college student, so i figured he would be best looking for something that's cheaper all around.

But I digress...
Even though I love the LS I have to second this post. G ood advice.
Old 05-01-14, 12:21 PM
timmy0tool

to the OP, i'm wondering what is drawing you to the LS400 in the first place? it is definitely not your typical go-to car for a college student. VIP-theme build maybe is the only reason i could think of. keep in mind VIP = money.

Quick Reply: Coming out of an Audi, looking at Lexus alternative... :)