LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1990 Lexus LS 400 Rack and pinion replacement

Old 03-21-14, 11:55 AM
ls400beast
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Lexus LS 400 Rack and pinion replacement

I am in the Process of replacing my rack an pinion I just need to knoe if i need to gett the rack with
electronic variable effort components or with out will be Posting a tutorial soon since i have not seen one and went trough hell doing the work
Old 03-21-14, 12:14 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Smartest thing to do would be call your local dealer with your Vin number and ask what your car as.
Old 03-21-14, 03:09 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I would just pay the extra $$$ and get a rack that has it installed already. You are going to need it one way or the other, might as well not screw with trying to swap out the old one.
Old 03-21-14, 04:02 PM
Aeok18109
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you sure you even need a new steering rack? what makes you think you need a new one?
Old 03-24-14, 07:27 AM
Skyhawk474
Driver School Candidate

Default signs I need a new rack and pinion

Originally Posted by ls400beast
I am in the Process of replacing my rack an pinion I just need to knoe if i need to gett the rack with
electronic variable effort components or with out will be Posting a tutorial soon since i have not seen one and went trough hell doing the work
I have a little play in my (rack and pinion) steering - which is slightly noticeable while on the freeway. Its planted the thought it may need some work eventually.
Have you tried other adjustments before you came to the conclusion you needed to replace?
Old 03-25-14, 12:58 AM
ls400beast
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Skyhawk474
I have a little play in my (rack and pinion) steering - which is slightly noticeable while on the freeway. Its planted the thought it may need some work eventually.
Have you tried other adjustments before you came to the conclusion you needed to replace?
I tried isolating the problem on its own and it s leaking from the rack boots are ripped beyond recognition and since i am there decides to do all the other steering work replacement like the pump and pressure hose it was just one big mess down there all of those parts were leaking so just decided to do all the car had the pump replaced once by previous owner but who ever did didn't do a proper job.
Old 03-31-14, 08:27 AM
Skyhawk474
Driver School Candidate

Default Power Steering/Alternator

Yes - my power steering pump leaked on my alternator - and replaced both. That cleaned up the rack and pinion too. Hopefully I'll have some time before I replace. But a good idea to replace the hose's too. Thx.
Old 03-31-14, 02:54 PM
ls400beast
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Skyhawk474
Yes - my power steering pump leaked on my alternator - and replaced both. That cleaned up the rack and pinion too. Hopefully I'll have some time before I replace. But a good idea to replace the hose's too. Thx.
yea just be prepared Because It had banjo botlts so tight i had to strip them to get them out (i would suggest Ordering the bajo bolts before starting as this can delay the process alot
Old 03-31-14, 06:19 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

it is not necessary to strip the banjo bolts, or any bolt for that matter, to avoid stripping fasteners, heed the following:

● apply a penetrating oil such as Kroil 24 hours in advance if the fastener seems potentially frozen, rusted, corroded

● make sure you have good quality tools and the RIGHT tool - some tools cause so much trouble, they are banned from my tool collection - examples: adjustable (crescent) wrenches, 12-point sockets, etc.

● just because the 1/2" socket or wrench kind of fits on that 12mm bolt, doesn't mean you should use it
Old 03-31-14, 07:04 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
it is not necessary to strip the banjo bolts, or any bolt for that matter, to avoid stripping fasteners, heed the following:
• use the right tool

• turn it the right way

● apply a penetrating oil such as Kroil 24 hours in advance if the fastener seems potentially frozen, rusted, corroded
Depends on what you are using it on. Thermal induction is infinitely better in all scenarios than penetrating oil. Penetrating oil isn't going do do anything on a banjo bolt, it has seals on it to keep fluid at extreme pressures IN the system, a no pressurized fluid will not get in nor would you want penetration oil in your P/S or brake fluid systems.

● make sure you have good quality tools and the RIGHT tool - some tools cause so much trouble, they are banned from my tool collection - examples: adjustable (crescent) wrenches, 12-point sockets, etc.
this.
Right tool for the job.
Adjustable crescent wrenches have their place. The screw-type adjustable wrenches are great for hammering things or throwing across the shop when you crack that nut free and bash your hand into something hard and sharp! Throw the crescent wrench and save your good tools from unwanted damage!
Adjustable slip-joint wrenches/pliers like a "channel-lock" are must haves and not to be confused with crescent wrenches although I routinely hear people refer to them interchangeably... Slip-joints are for pushing back brake calipers and test ball joints.

● just because the 1/2" socket or wrench kind of fits on that 12mm bolt, doesn't mean you should use it
if you're dumb enough to put a ½" socket on a 12mm head bolt, you deserve the results... If you're using standard wrenches on your Lexus... Stop working on your car.
Old 04-01-14, 11:05 AM
oldyota
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a valid question im looking into it as well and was going to ask the same question.
Rockauto does show two part numbers both say they have EVO but one part number has an E at the end.