LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Diy cheap $5 chrome grill mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-14, 09:15 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Diy cheap $5 chrome grill mod

Whats up. I saw the poorboy mod with the chrome strips but felt like waisting 30 on chrome strips is stupid and it wouldnt look that great either. heres before and after pics. You have to stop by home depot and grab a can of chrome spray. Then remove your grill. Clean is somehow. I used gasoline and then wiped it dry with a paper towel to clean as much dirt as i can. Then just spray it in coats. I did 3 coats. Then i had to drive it for a week withut a grill becuase the paint i picked up was super slow to dry. I like the look alottt more now and think it looks better then it would in person if i did the chrome strips. and i saved $25 for a more professional job. i think this looks much better then that old discolord plastic before. What do you guys think
Attached Thumbnails Diy cheap  chrome grill mod-kimg0001-1-.jpg   Diy cheap  chrome grill mod-kimg0034-1-.jpg  
Old 03-20-14, 09:21 PM
GSsportD
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good,I'll pickup some chrome paint for my intake... What brand was the paint?
Old 03-20-14, 09:56 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSsportD
Looks good,I'll pickup some chrome paint for my intake... What brand was the paint?
Ill check tomorrow. Just keep in mind your intake will have to be out of your car for about a week even though the paint said 24 hours.... Just checked the paints called Rust Oleum and looks like this
http://www.essentialhardware.com/product_img/778737.jpg
it cost $4 at home depot
Old 03-21-14, 06:01 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

that'll last long before it starts to chip and flake...
Old 03-21-14, 09:43 AM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
that'll last long before it starts to chip and flake...
Yuppp that's what you say. I was gonna spray clear coat but this paint specifically says not to. I won't chip and flake very soon and when it does I'll just spray it again
Old 03-21-14, 10:46 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by xxmariolxx
I used gasoline and then wiped it dry...
is gasoline the only solvent you had laying around to clean?! outcome looks decent.
Old 03-21-14, 01:03 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Gasoline...brrrr. It's done deal though there are plenty of non-flammable and other plastic friendly paint prep chemicals available.
Old 03-21-14, 04:44 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

The grill takes a real beating as well as the head lights. I hope it holds up. Any closer pics. It looks good.
Old 03-21-14, 05:24 PM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the pic it looks a lot better than the usual faded black. I picked up a grill from the junkyard the other day. I might give it a shot. I was looking into diamond mesh too. idk yet.
Old 03-21-14, 07:27 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mccrimmon
From the pic it looks a lot better than the usual faded black. I picked up a grill from the junkyard the other day. I might give it a shot. I was looking into diamond mesh too. idk yet.
exactly i was getting rid of that nasty faded balck looks muccchhhh better
Old 03-22-14, 02:30 PM
Largefarva
Driver

I think it looks great, not sure why there's so many haters in here, why not wait and see how it hold up before dismissing it as a poor quality paint? Regardless, for $5 plus a couple hours work at most why not try it?
Old 03-22-14, 03:09 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Largefarva
I think it looks great, not sure why there's so many haters in here, why not wait and see how it hold up before dismissing it as a poor quality paint? Regardless, for $5 plus a couple hours work at most why not try it?
bringing up a valid point about the durability of cheap chrome paint over (from the sound of it) barely prepped plastic isn't hating,....
Old 03-22-14, 09:08 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

bringing up a valid point about the durability of cheap chrome paint over (from the sound of it) barely prepped plastic isn't hating,....
i wudnt buy expensive chrome paint just because its for cars. id rather go to homedepot nd get something for outdoors for cheap. and what better cleaner? i used a toothbrush. do you guys think i just soaked the grill and gasoline?
Old 03-23-14, 06:57 AM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

^ while smoking a cigarette!

Last edited by mccrimmon; 03-23-14 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-23-14, 07:31 PM
Largefarva
Driver

Yes it is-especially the way you posted it, just because you think its going to flake off doesn't mean you need to post it, he's done the job already, why be negative?
Its not like the guy is doing brake or suspension work, he's doing a simple cosmetic mod, won't affect you at all if it flakes off, which I would bet it never does. I like the look of the factory grille, I did my emblems all flat black (only because they were gold and looked tacky), but if mine were chrome I would be on my way to get some of that paint, it looks good.

Quick Reply: Diy cheap $5 chrome grill mod