LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Just bought a "new to me" LS400

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-14, 08:25 PM
Pineroot
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just bought a "new to me" LS400

!st post on this forum but already see some great resources....
Short story: My 97 Nissan truck died a couple weeks ago with 250,000 on it. Managed a deal with a friend for a 95 ls400 with 110,000 miles for $2000 and some barter. I know nothing about Lexus, but did some research online and found only great things about this car. I thought I would drive it for a year maybe and then trade up for another truck. But I "rode" it from NC to PA and decided I'll keep this car forever. She likes to go 80. I'm a new Lexus fan and I love this car!
Old 03-19-14, 08:29 PM
mduarte
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my first lexus and i love this car.
Old 03-19-14, 09:26 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Pineroot
Short story: My 97 Nissan truck died a couple weeks ago with 250,000 on it. Managed a deal with a friend for a 95 ls400 with 110,000 miles for $2000 and some barter. I know nothing about Lexus, but did some research online and found only great things about this car. I thought I would drive it for a year maybe and then trade up for another truck. But I "rode" it from NC to PA and decided I'll keep this car forever. She likes to go 80. I'm a new Lexus fan and I love this car!
welcome i bought a 90 about a month ago. love my car. these are accually one of the most reliable cars ever built. there was a ls400 with 900k on it on ebay. these cars are known to go over 350k if well maintained. reapiars can be expensive though if your not a diy type of guy. if you are. its just about as much as a toyota to own. congrats on the pick up
Old 03-20-14, 06:11 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Sounds like a great deal... Welcome to the club and pics are welcome.
Congratulations and welcome to a new world.
Old 03-20-14, 07:08 AM
dapimpee
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to Lexus.
Old 03-20-14, 10:22 AM
mappo
Driver

I just bought a 2000 last week, my first. I flew to Dallas to get it and drove it back to Maryland. What a highway cruiser! 80 mph most of the way, felt like I was puttering around 35.

This site has been an amazing resource for me already. I'm sure I'll be coming back for more.
Old 03-20-14, 07:52 PM
Pineroot
Rookie

When I got this car, I was just looking for some wheels. My little Nissan truck just blew up and my only other set was a 99 Tahoe that gets 13 MPG. I commute 100 miles round trip for work each day and can't afford that gas cost. Not to mention the Tahoe has power steering, brake and heat problems. I carry two kids to school half the time and they hated packing into the bench seat of the truck. Elbows were flying.
So I had a friend selling his Lexus and he also needed some specialized work done that I could do and we made a barter deal.
I didn't know **** about Lexus but took the car because I was in a bind and needed wheels.
Soon as I drove it, I was like "WTF!" This is an amazing freaking car! Almost 20 years old and it drives like this?? My 11 year old said "it feels like we are flying".
So I get online to do research and find so many positive testimonials to this car and feel very fortunate to have acquired it for such a great deal.
Also, this forum seems to have a great deal of useful information about repairs. I need new hood struts, new master key etc... Still haven't gotten into the trunk. Maybe there's some golf clubs or a Picasso in there.
Old 03-20-14, 08:08 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by xxmariolxx
these are accually one of the most reliable cars ever built. there was a ls400 with 900k on it on ebay. these cars are known to go over 350k if well maintained. reapiars can be expensive though if your not a diy type of guy. if you are. its just about as much as a toyota to own. congrats on the pick up
^This is accurate.^

here are the main areas that you will need to polish up your DIY skills on:

● timing belt
● tune-up (caps, rotors, plugs, wires)
● strut bar bushings
● transmission mount
ECU capacitors
● lower EGR pipe
● cigarette lighter fuse link
● positive battery terminal
● upper control arms
● power steering leaks (critical to fix now to prevent alternator premature death)

everything else is pretty much bullet proof on the car!
Old 03-20-14, 10:07 PM
Pineroot
Rookie

Thanks for the tips Cowboy. The car seemed to have pretty good maintenance records and the previous owner is a friend so I can find out more info.
It runs fine but has minor issues, (very minor compared to my old truck and my Tahoe)
Hood struts are shot
Seat belt retractors weak
Can't remember steering wheel placement when I put the key in. It seems random.
Wiper fluid reservoir cracked won't hold fluid
Stereo LED is shot, so I can't see the station or see what the 6 disc cd is doing.
Master key is lost so I can't open the trunk
Title transfer next week so I can get key prob fixed with proof of ownership at nearest dealer an hour away.
I'll post a pic as soon as I wash it. Pearl White all stock.
Old 03-21-14, 07:32 AM
mappo
Driver

My hood struts were flat too. I got a new pair off of ebay for less than $34 delivered. They fit and work perfectly, and were at my door three days after placing the order. Trunk struts seem to be harder to get and cost more though.
Old 03-21-14, 02:59 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Thanks for the tips Cowboy. The car seemed to have pretty good maintenance records and the previous owner is a friend so I can find out more info.
It runs fine but has minor issues, (very minor compared to my old truck and my Tahoe)
Hood struts are shot
Seat belt retractors weak
Can't remember steering wheel placement when I put the key in. It seems random.
Wiper fluid reservoir cracked won't hold fluid
Stereo LED is shot, so I can't see the station or see what the 6 disc cd is doing.
Master key is lost so I can't open the trunk
Title transfer next week so I can get key prob fixed with proof of ownership at nearest dealer an hour away.
I'll post a pic as soon as I wash it. Pearl White all stock.
May I suggest that you acquire the factory service manuals? These are complex cars and you can very easily get lost in the fog. The factory manuals are like infrared goggles on a dark night.
Colin
Old 03-21-14, 04:24 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

You can't even tell your cruising at that speed right? I always have to monitor my speedometer to keep myself in check.
Old 03-21-14, 05:50 PM
Pineroot
Rookie

Originally Posted by sha4000
You can't even tell your cruising at that speed right? I always have to monitor my speedometer to keep myself in check.
I live in the mountains of Western NC. So whenever I drove the old 4 cyl truck my foot was on the floor going uphill, and I would slow down and have to downshift. Got my $ worth out of that truck but... never had to worry about a speeding ticket on the interstate.
I'm not a speed freak at all but I must admit, riding the Lexus to PA, I was tempted to take it over 100. No car has ever tempted me before. Seduction is probably a better description.
But you are right, 80 is easy and cruise control can keep me from drifting higher.
btw, I drove 420 miles on a full tank and still had a quarter tank left. When I filled it up I calculated that I got just shy of 30mpg. All interstate, mostly no AC. Around here on the curvy mountain roads I get about 21-23. I don't do any stop and go city driving. That mpg is equal to or better than the old 4 cylinder truck. Plus I get the nice ride.
I'm keeping this car forever