LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Hi, new here and looking to go from a 6MT 05 Acura TL to a 98-00 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-14, 05:37 PM
LSpho
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Hi, new here and looking to go from a 6MT 05 Acura TL to a 98-00 LS400

Hey all, new to clublexus and my

Current car
2005 Acura TL 6MT
and Owned previously a lot of older hondas

Possibly looking to make the change to a
LS400 98-00 spec

I've gotten to only test drive first gens (90-94) thus far, they seem solid overall and fairly quick for such a boat, but I know the 98-00 should be MUCH faster

If I pull the trigger on the proper LS400, I'll be going to a older and somewhat slower car. I can consistently run 0-60 in the 5 and low 6 second range still at 151k low 14s 1/4 mi in the TL

I know it's comparing apples to grapefruits and the ls400 isn't made to be a speed blaster

I'm coming from a honda background but I am all about all things automotive rather than specific brand followings. With that being said, the LS400 somehow has intrigued me... it has somehow captivated me in a way can't quite put a finger on it. Perhaps the 1uz, or the fact toyota put a lot of resources into the perfect flagship? Impulsive maybe?
Both cars are similar in their purpose, if you've owned both and would like to chime in would be great, I'd like to know what you all think about this even though it maybe bias since this is a LS400 subsection and most of all a Lexus forum.

So far I've done some reading, it seems 98-00 don't have many problems, but I hear about people with random **** occuring... also supposedly the navi models are useless as they're outdated and can have electrical issues? I'm very new to the ls400 but i'm trying to read as much as I can. Black interior ls400 seem rare as hell... i'm going to have to settle for any color combo. If anyone in norcal is selling a very clean proper bonestock 98-00 let me know

Last edited by LSpho; 03-03-14 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-03-14, 06:18 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

avoid nav, avoid factory air suspension, and buy one that was maintained.

Other than that, read the FAQ.
Old 03-03-14, 11:20 PM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might be dissapointed going back in generation from a new type interior car like that. The LS was made a bit for older people and the interior isn't as cool as a newer car like the TL. The newer 1UZ pulls really hard and the 5 spd auto is a superb tranny, big brakes, very very very smooth ride. If you are looking for a car that is the king of being in traffic, its a good choice, very reliable.

Should be about the same speed as the TL, my VVTi 1UZ car pulls a lot harder then my older 93 1UZ did, significant difference in power and tranny gearing.
Old 03-03-14, 11:28 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
avoid nav, avoid factory air suspension, and buy one that was maintained.

Other than that, read the FAQ.
This. Also, if you plan on any aftermarket stereo mods, try looking for the (Pioneer) Lexus Premium Sound system as opposed to the Nakamichi system.
Old 03-04-14, 04:00 AM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your TL is probably more comparable to the GS430? If you want comfort go with the LS for sure. The 98 - 00 drive like a cloud floating through Heaven.
Old 03-04-14, 03:21 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LSpho
Hey all, new to clublexus and my

Current car
2005 Acura TL 6MT
and Owned previously a lot of older hondas

Possibly looking to make the change to a
LS400 98-00 spec

I've gotten to only test drive first gens (90-94) thus far, they seem solid overall and fairly quick for such a boat, but I know the 98-00 should be MUCH faster

If I pull the trigger on the proper LS400, I'll be going to a older and somewhat slower car. I can consistently run 0-60 in the 5 and low 6 second range still at 151k low 14s 1/4 mi in the TL

I know it's comparing apples to grapefruits and the ls400 isn't made to be a speed blaster

I'm coming from a honda background but I am all about all things automotive rather than specific brand followings. With that being said, the LS400 somehow has intrigued me... it has somehow captivated me in a way can't quite put a finger on it. Perhaps the 1uz, or the fact toyota put a lot of resources into the perfect flagship? Impulsive maybe?
Both cars are similar in their purpose, if you've owned both and would like to chime in would be great, I'd like to know what you all think about this even though it maybe bias since this is a LS400 subsection and most of all a Lexus forum.

So far I've done some reading, it seems 98-00 don't have many problems, but I hear about people with random **** occuring... also supposedly the navi models are useless as they're outdated and can have electrical issues? I'm very new to the ls400 but i'm trying to read as much as I can. Black interior ls400 seem rare as hell... i'm going to have to settle for any color combo. If anyone in norcal is selling a very clean proper bonestock 98-00 let me know
I wouldnt do it. there great cars. but your going 6 years back the tls styling is much better. i would at least go with a gs430 or a ls430
Old 03-04-14, 06:33 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

my aunt has a 6 speed TL similar to yours but non-typeS and i've driven it many times. yes the V6 is great especially with a clutch but the car just feels like a honda. don't get me wrong, i've been into hondas my whole life. my current track car is a 92 accord H22 and i still love FWD handling. i've owned EFs, DAs, EGs, and EKs but there is something more special about accords but i digress.

the LS is completely on another level so expect to be flipped, but in a good way! suspension is overly engineered, so is the motor, chassis, everything. it shows this car is a true flagship but like everyone said, it is has old styling. it really depends on your tastes so if you are considering an LS that means your taste leans toward said old styling anyway!

do you want to start a VIP build? like any old car these have their nuisances but nothing overly dramatic. stay away from factory air suspension and navigation. find one with lots of history records paying attention to timing belt interval (every 90k), then find a color combo and condition to your liking.
Old 03-04-14, 08:20 PM
LSpho
Pit Crew

Thanks for the responses all, I'm surprised they were rather mixed but that's not a bad thing. I don't really feel the SC or GS series cars for some reason, just visually speaking; I can see that they're beautiful machines in their own way but just not for me /shrug. I think I just don't like the ratio of the SC body and the rounded turtleness of the GS. I have some things to consider of course but we will see how it goes soon enough. I'll be taking a look at one tomorrow.
Single owner, around 95k miles.
-They say the major 90k maintenance was done earlier at 75k.
-Silver on Gray with wood-trim accents.
-Nakamichi, some say not to get it but w/e
- 8500 @ used independent dealership dealer price I'll try to get it for lower.
-1 minor accident though, clean title still. It shows happened at 43k but owner kept driving car up till 95k. Must really be not a big deal, used dealer ship says repainted bumper but "used dealership" words don't have much truth to them i'd imagine.

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
my aunt has a 6 speed TL similar to yours but non-typeS and i've driven it many times. yes the V6 is great especially with a clutch but the car just feels like a honda. don't get me wrong, i've been into hondas my whole life. my current track car is a 92 accord H22 and i still love FWD handling. i've owned EFs, DAs, EGs, and EKs but there is something more special about accords but i digress.

the LS is completely on another level so expect to be flipped, but in a good way! suspension is overly engineered, so is the motor, chassis, everything. it shows this car is a true flagship but like everyone said, it is has old styling. it really depends on your tastes so if you are considering an LS that means your taste leans toward said old styling anyway!

do you want to start a VIP build? like any old car these have their nuisances but nothing overly dramatic. stay away from factory air suspension and navigation. find one with lots of history records paying attention to timing belt interval (every 90k), then find a color combo and condition to your liking.
Mine is base model with quad exhaust but still the base MT get the 4 piston brembo up front and LSD still . Yes, I agree. Coming from hondas myself. I've had a 95 gsr before the TL, definitely fantastic and would love to own another integra if financial situations permit. The TL does feel like other hondas and that is not a bad thing at all but I suppose it's time for me to go a whole completely different route. This will also be my first owned RWD (real wheel drive )and pure bred purposed car / luxury car

I hope I get flipped in a good way lol I did the research and that you mentioned is a major factor for me to consider a LS400. A true completed car, what a platform for any sort of build or lack of. I definitely love older styling, understated simplicity can be beautiful while most find it boring/dated/grandpaw. I don't think I'll do a VIP build but we'll see. It'll most likely look similar to how I've done my TL in the pictures.

I have preference to white or black with black interior but those are almost impossible. So I'm actually open to many color options but the silver/gray I'll possibly look at soon isn't offending at all.

Last edited by LSpho; 03-04-14 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-04-14, 08:53 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Silver and grey can be a nice option, but I'm a little biased!

Black interiors look great but I hate that scorched back/butt when sitting down in the seats after sitting in the sun for a while.
Black exteriors are a nightmare to keep looking nice, but if you can find one in pristine condition, it's usually a sign the rest of the car was exceptionally maintained!

I really like the simplicity of the interior. I've spent a lot of time in newer high end cars and while the tactile feel is better in huge newer cars, I really dislike the ergo and layout of most newer cars... Feels too much like a video game, with stuff taking your attention away from driving and enjoying the car.

The VIP build is something that if you start to do anything to the car, it almost always ends up going down that path, assuming you started with a clean car.
If the car was rough, most seem to go for the rat rod look.
Or keep it stock if your grandpa sensibilities kick in.
Old 03-04-14, 09:25 PM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I stress getting one that is maintained. Upper control arms, bushings, belts, power steering pump, alternator, starter. I have a 99 with now almost 228k. I've spent nearly $5k in maintenance already. I bought it with 198k. I wouldnt be afraid to drive it cross country. I take frequent 10+ hr trips. Every time someone slams my door I say you hear that? Thats a well built car unlike your honda. my secondary car is a 06 MDX and I come from a background of many japanese and euro cars. The LS gets better gas mileage than the MDX for sure.
Old 03-04-14, 09:32 PM
LSpho
Pit Crew

Yea I think that too, the newer car interiors are too busy and take you away from the actual feel and drive of the car.
@shmee you're silver/gray? hehe I think the wood grain really pops in that sea of gray. Also black isn't ap roblem to maintain and deal with for me, all cars I've owned or plan to own MUST be tinted. It's mandatory for me to do so heh

This one is supposedly well maintained by the original owner through dealerships since it's still @ 95k. I hope I won't have to change too much but I'll definitely pay attention when checking it out. Rubbers, Mounts, bushings, motor mounts and that UCA balljoint will be given extra attention. Busted UCA I can possibly drop a fat load off the $ and go for the moog UCA (heh been reading) or other aftermarket components

The properly maintained ones see 300k without any electrical or mechanical problems from what I can see. Poorly taken care of they'd be ****ty overall by then or before.

What I see to have trouble finding is that the 225/60/16 diameter is hard to match... I can't run anything like 255/40-45-50/17 or 18" wheels without being way off the OEM diameter size...
Already found window visors http://eliteautostyle.com/Products/j...0-lexus-ls400/ If anywhere cheaper would be appreciated to see a link

Damn, I've already started planning to do future ****s...

Last edited by LSpho; 03-04-14 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-04-14, 09:49 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol, see!.
And 19s brah, 19s!

Yeah I'm silver/grey: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...he-rexxus.html

If those visors are I stock, that's a decent price. JDM Nigel has them for less but are special order out of japan.
Old 03-04-14, 11:23 PM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll notice how perfect the car is, how well built it is, its not like any of the many other cars I've owned.
the VVti 1UZ is like a little race motor that happened to end up in the flagship, the ride, its pretty nice, dampening and spring rate are really well matched. I don't find on the 98+ car either that its sways as much as the earlier.
I don't care for VIP myself, I like big tires on 18" rims, the LS can handle pretty big tires stock, yet has a turning circle you would be pretty impressed by. Also that motor makes some pretty wonderful noises, all reasons why I'm on my second one ) Also having owned many sports cars and living in a major city, I find them almost pointless as I'm in traffic all the time, this baby is the king of Serenity now in stop and go.
Old 03-05-14, 09:28 AM
LSpho
Pit Crew

@ Shmee Nice build thread and transformation Shmee =] 19s may not be for me but we'll see lol I can appreciate them on other cars but I think the weight and expensive tire options may deter me for now or less i'm bagged maybe

@king yea untapped quadcam v8, i'm looking to see how much i can extract with a single 3" exhaust maybe not much but it'll net weight savings forsure. I think the ugly *** 1uz header is where most the gains will be made. Yea I'm hoping it'll tbe the daily king and i can just spend a little on the side and get a 318i e30/EF9 civic/or integra again for my pure enjoyment smashing beater ride
Old 03-05-14, 12:52 PM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll be very happy with the LS. BUT... you should really give our 2GS "Turtles" a try. Comfort, luxury and 0-60 < 6sec. It's a good compromise and the look will grow on you.. I agree there are certain angles that I don't like my GS but then there are certain angles where it looks gorgeous. Good luck with the LS!

Quick Reply: Hi, new here and looking to go from a 6MT 05 Acura TL to a 98-00 LS400