LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Interchangability of FLCA ball joints?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-14, 09:32 PM
nismo4life
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interchangability of FLCA ball joints?

Does anyone know of other OEM FLCA ball joints that would bolt onto the UCF1x hubs?

I'm trying to find other stock Toyota ones that would potentially bolt on and preferably have less ackerman so I'd be looking for something with the tie rod location closer to the ball joint itself so I wouldn't have to cut and weld a new set.

Ex:

vs.

See how the tie rod mounting location is closer to the center of the hub? If I could find out if any of the stock components are interchangeable in theory I could run any stock ones that would seem to have shorter distance, or even try and run something aftermarket for any of the other chassis be it JZX, MX, IS, etc.
Old 02-24-14, 09:42 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you trying to get more extreme steering angles for drifting?

I know there is a difference between the location of the tierod boss on the 1LS and 2LS but it's a height and fore/aft difference, not a radial difference...
Old 02-24-14, 09:47 PM
nismo4life
Driver

I am indeed Shmee. I'd trust an already fabricated solid piece more than I would a welded one, though I know in some cases welds can be stronger than the original piece itself I am not capable of tig welding and I only have a lightweight Hobart and not too sure who I'd trust welding them personally. If it comes to it though I think I may have to. The other thing I just realized is I don't think the ball joints themselves are removable are they? Haven't looked closely at mine on the car but I imagine they're just pressed in and locked on with a cir clip?
Old 02-24-14, 09:50 PM
nismo4life
Driver

This is around what I have for full lock. Could really use as much as I can get.

Old 02-24-14, 10:08 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know of no such parts...

If I were looking for such things, I'd skip the hope of finding something I'd look into designing a set of RCA's with an arm/mounting point designed to accept a tierod. You could even tie it into the stock tierod boss for extra strength...

Find yourself a engineering student with Solidworks skills, give him/her some beer to design you such parts... Take designs to a CNC shop and get them to make them from aluminum with steel inserts!
Old 02-24-14, 10:20 PM
nismo4life
Driver

Originally Posted by Shmee
I know of no such parts...

If I were looking for such things, I'd skip the hope of finding something I'd look into designing a set of RCA's with an arm/mounting point designed to accept a tierod. You could even tie it into the stock tierod boss for extra strength...

Find yourself a engineering student with Solidworks skills, give him/her some beer to design you such parts... Take designs to a CNC shop and get them to make them from aluminum with steel inserts!
Not a half bad idea haha. Thanks!
Old 02-25-14, 01:54 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

It would be a fully custom part.
No engineering student is going to put the time and effort into something like this just for beer, would be a paid gig.

Frankly if all you want is more lock just get some inner tre spacers.
Old 02-25-14, 10:28 PM
nismo4life
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
It would be a fully custom part.
No engineering student is going to put the time and effort into something like this just for beer, would be a paid gig.

Frankly if all you want is more lock just get some inner tre spacers.
Found out IS300 ones are the same. FIG's auto sells them, but I'm not going to swing $450 for a set so I'll just have to get a set welded. I do plan on running an inner tie rod end spacer too from Maverick Motorsports for $45.
Old 02-26-14, 12:00 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

what's the same? The spacers or the custom LBJ? I'm 99% sure they don't interchange.

I'll ask figs to chime in, he's got my old set of UCF20 LBJs kicking around his shop still I think.