LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

97 ls400

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-14, 06:39 PM
CariBRou22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 ls400

Hi I am new to this site. The above car is the one in question: what is a fair price to pay for this car? It has 269,000 miles on it, and the abs lights on tho I think they're working, and the engine lights on for what's believes to be an O2 sensor. Depite these and the miles it drives great: feels nice and smooth, engine sounds flawless at idle.The car cosmetically is actually really nice. Everything works. Has remote start installed. But drivers door handles missing minus just enough to open the door with. And the car shakes pretty bad when braking so probably needs new rotors? That pretty much sums up what's important. So what do you guys think? All input is appreciated- thanks!
Old 02-11-14, 07:30 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

Still many variables and some of those may be easy fixes while others are unknowns on the wallet. Take the car and have it inspected-plugging in for any codes. Then you'll have an idea if the repairs are manageable or beyond your wallet comfort level.

Not only rotors but you'll also have to consider strut bar bushings, upper and lower control arm bushings, engine-tranny mounts then the usual fluid replacements. For visual check the tranny fluid, if black, that is a poor sign of other maintenance issues to be done. If the owner has maintenance records, check them carefully.

Based on what you've said presuming the body and interior are passable, I say somewhere $3000. Be prepared to put another $1K back in but saying that, I would look for a nicer condition LS400 to start off with.
Old 02-11-14, 08:43 PM
CariBRou22
Driver School Candidate

Okay thank you so much! So if I was able to get it for around $1,750, that would likely be a good deal?
Old 02-11-14, 09:24 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Not necessarily if it takes lots of $ to get it in good running order. A '97 for $1,750 has me thinking what else is wrong. This is the gamble with cars at this stage...you can get a great deal or not.
Old 02-13-14, 07:20 AM
cbruning47
Driver School Candidate

I have a 97 LS400, mine has 140,000 miles on it and you really want to try and get any information regarding the maintence records as possible. Especially oil changes and service reports. That way you have some idea on where to start if you decide to purchase this vehicle.
Old 02-13-14, 10:56 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

exactly do youre homework! its easy to forget how old these cars really are these days. check EVERYTHING! if the tranny fluid is burnt thats a sign they didnt care about the car. if there are metal shavings in it RUN. also how is the electrical system? all windows go up and down? stereo still work? electroluminecent guages still lit working and not flickering? little stupid cosmetic stuff that might make the car look bad and are easy to fix but when it starts adding up can hurt youre wallet. also check for power steering for leaks. if its dripping into the alternator you got serious trouble very soon. also look under the hood for a timing belt replacement mechanics note. listen to the starter for any grinding, it shouldnt have any. buying a Ls400 can be alot of work to find the right one, but it will pay off if you really hunt around. hell it took me a year to find one that wasnt trashed or that didnt have serious mechanical issues looming in the near future. also, if you can find one with good seats, its a home run cause there always almost always destroyed nomatter how well it was kept.

buying a ls400 can either be a awesome investment and youll end up with a bulletproof fantastic reliable car that still looks baller, or it can be a total ****storm disaster. pick and choose very carefully....
Old 02-28-14, 10:09 PM
CariBRou22
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Well I did buy the car, as you guys might know if you noticed me posting threads. I'm fixing it up now.
Just wanted to say- THANK YOU guys so much for your responses.
The car really wasn't cared for well, but ironically it's still in exceptional shape.
I'm doing all I can to get it in the condition it deserves to be in, before I put it back on the road!
Old 02-28-14, 10:31 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

can you take the car to autozone or advance auto parts or o'reilly auto parts and get a free scan of the diagnostic codes? - or alternatively, you can order the $17 OBD-II scanner here from amazon - this scanner works very well and they give you free shipping if you order $35 worth of items

the two most urgent things on any 97 LS400 is to verify when the timing belt was last changed, as it will be catastrophic if it breaks or jumps - you need definitive proof on when it was changed, not just the previous owner's word

the other thing is to stop any power steering leaks as they will quickly ruin the alternator!

the third thing is to drain & fill transmission fluid with genuine Toyota T-IV

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 02-28-14 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-01-14, 08:28 PM
CariBRou22
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a bunch cowboy!
I did get it scanned- it has an O2 sensor issue but that's it.
I do new to figure out when the timing belt was done. Very stupid on my part.
There are no leaks at all that I can see and the alternator seems to be working fine.
And I'm planning on changing out the ATF as soon as I get a chance!
Old 03-01-14, 08:43 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

if you have any doubts on when the timing belt was done, just go ahead and do it! - not worth risking a $3000+ engine!

if you have the real factory service manual and a buddy who has done some timing belts in the past, and a hand full of tools, you can do it in one day (the parts kit is around $200) - much better than the dealership that charges $1500!

here is a video of a guy who is a decent backyard mechanic doing his first timing belt! - he does a pretty darn good job, other than not using a torque wrench on reassembly, but overall, great job

so anyway, it is cool to see a video of the entire procedure!

Old 03-06-14, 04:09 PM
CariBRou22
Driver School Candidate

Yeah that is awesome! And useful.
I'm hoping my gramps will be able to help me do it. He's certified with experience but retired so he'll hopefully have time soon. I haven't been driving the car as I'm afraid I may sabotage the engine.
Also- I'm wondering-
Would it be beneficial to take it apart just to check the timing belt?
Or at that point would it be best to start replacing it and other parts?
Old 03-06-14, 04:38 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

the time it would take to truly do a definitive check is such that you would end up doing half of the job in just checking it!

but I would go ahead and be ordering new Toyota caps & rotors from Sewell Lexus
and new NGK or Denso wires and plugs from rock auto or amazon

and the kit of real Toyota timing belt parts from some place reputable selling them in the economical form of the Aisin TKT-030 timing kit/water pump (~$200) which includes AISIN Water Pump, KOYO Idler Bearing, NSK Tensioner Bearing, NTN Hydraulic Tensioner and Mitsuboshi Timing Belt
Old 03-06-14, 10:04 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You may want to create a userid on LexusUSA.com (Owner's Resources -> MyLexus), register your VIN, and access the service history. It will display a one-line summary of all services performed at a Lexus shop.

Also, you can request a free Owner's Manual if you don't have one.
You can also download a PDF of it if you want to study for the test (the car has a lot of features, not all of which are obvious).