LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Bought New LS 400, Have Some Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-14, 08:36 PM
BIGBOI3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought New LS 400, Have Some Questions.

Hey All,

I bought my first Lexus (1999 LS 400, black with tan leather, 153k miles from original owner). My lead foot appreciates the V8, my wallet sometimes doesn't.

A few things I have noticed or have questions on. Your help will be appreciated and please pardon my ignorance.

1. The rev counter sometimes does not work, but when I smack the dash above the instruments its starts working no problem. Is this due to loose wires or something else?

2. The car has dual climate control, the driver side blows hot when on MAX heat, but the passengers side front/back blows room temp or slightly warm. I have replaced cabin air filter but I have a feeling that an actuator may not be working properly.

3. When the steering wheel retracts after I pull out the key, it vibrates and makes a noise. Are the gears going out on it?

4. Is there any way to put a roof rack on it, besides drilling into the roof and permanently mounting the feet? My other option is a Thule trunk rack (Raceway). Anyone have any experience with either of these?

5. What are the best tires for this car, Michelin, Bridgestone, etc?

6. Where can I buy misc. used parts, like shift ****, black interior carpets, etc. for my Lexus? Is there a for sale section on the forums, because ebay, etc are kinda pricey, specially for just a shift ****.

Thanks guys,

I will upload pics of car soon!
Old 01-19-14, 10:06 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGBOI3

5. What are the best tires for this car, Michelin, Bridgestone, etc?
there are really only three great tires for the LS400 (probably, but not necessarily, in this order)

● Michelin Primacy MXV4
● Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus
● Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus

6. Where can I buy misc. used parts, like shift ****, black interior carpets, etc. for my Lexus? Is there a for sale section on the forums, because ebay, etc are kinda pricey, specially for just a shift ****.
yes, there is a section here in the forums

also ebay, craigslist and car-part.com - especially ebay
Old 01-19-14, 10:28 PM
alexrx7
Driver School Candidate

3-Easy to check remove the steering shroud 3 -phillips head screws the on the left of the column theres the motorized unit remove the cover and check the gear for missing teeth or how mines was warped it caused your symptoms a quick trip to the junk yard got the gear from another LS for $1 or free problem solved pack it with grease when you install itand a washer spaced between the gear and cover wouldnt hurt.

You can use the style the lips on to the door ledge i forgot the footing code but the sell it at dicks sporting good and sport chalet
Old 01-19-14, 11:26 PM
SammyRed
Driver School Candidate

Default Welcome BigBoi!

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to this website. I've bought my 94 LS400 only 6 or seven weeks ago and have found this website a God-send! My 94 had 146,000 miles when purchased. Paint and body in immaculate condition. However the interior mechanical and electrical issues where everywhere. Thanks to Club Lexus, their member's knowledge, experience, threads, tutorials and advice... I've been solving these issues one weekend at a time. I figure I've solved about $2000 - $2500 in parts and labor with just two 3 hour projects, spending only $50 on parts. Check out and heed any advice and thread from LSCowboyLS... this guy knows his !#@t! and has helped me out lots!

Again... Welcome and enjoy the ride,
Sammy