LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

SAFC installed, questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-14, 01:57 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SAFC installed, questions...

Ok so I went ahead and wired in my SAFC NEO today. I'm pretty sure its wired up correctly. It seems to be working correctly for the most part, but there are a few concerns.

The RPM's on the NEO do not match the dash? The dash will say it's idle is about 650-700 and the NEO will read about 350-400? Yes I do have it set on 8 cylinder. I also have it set on Karman sensor. The RPM's are off all the way through the rpm range too.

Another issue, and this COULD just be related to not being tuned yet. While driving if you let off the gas abruptly (with clutch in) she wants to dip down kind of low in the RPM's and shut off. Not every time, but most of the time it does this. I only drove it around for a bit, just to see how the NEO was functioning. So hopefully this issue can be resolved by tuning the NEO?

It seems to read the throttle correctly. As of right now all of the settings are just set on 0%. My wideband should be here tomorrow and I'll install that so I can start playing with it a little. I have a buddy that has a good amount experience that is going to help me do some street tuning this weekend. I already have the bung welded in for the wideband o2 sensor. I went with the innovative just for the record.

I know this is not a performance based thread, but I know we have some guys in here that have some performance cars also. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and I know I need to be easy on the car until its tuned but I couldn't help myself. While test driving it I had to floor it just once and see how it responded. On dry pavement (ROLLING) in first gear it lit both back tires up and started to go sideways.......
Attached Thumbnails SAFC installed, questions...-neo.png  
Old 01-28-14, 02:10 PM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just my guess, and this is really jsut a guess-perhaps the SAFC is somehow not allowing the IAC valve to function properly, which makes the car want to stall out?
Old 01-28-14, 02:15 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not sure about that.....

I recently put on another TPS, and just "eyeballed" the adjustment on it. Does anybody know the correct setting (I think in ohms)? I'm wondering if the TPS is off a bit if that would be causing my issue?
Old 01-28-14, 05:32 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know how you wired it or how that unit works specifically but since the LS400 uses 2 coils and 2 rotors each with 4 leads, try switching the RPM pickup/input to 4cyl... It looks like it's reading ½ of what it should so this could be the problem.
Old 01-28-14, 05:39 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

the idle problem could simply be a IACV issue, where it needs a simple clean.
Old 01-28-14, 05:47 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

I'll try switching it to 4 cylinder tomorrow and see if that works.

As far as the IACV goes. I thought I had an issue with it a few months ago and had cleaned it then. At that time, I had also tried switching the IACV with the one from my spare motor, but it ended up not being the culprit. I'm not saying its not causing the problem but it wasn't doing this before wiring in the SAFC.

A friend on Instagram had mentioned to me that some of the SAFC NEO's were not setup for the Karman sensors? He said he had to send his back and have them update it..... I'm going to look into this also to see if this could be the issue.
Old 01-28-14, 07:42 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

the TPS adjustment procedure is easy and just requires a $10 multimeter - it is detailed in the factory service manual
Old 01-28-14, 08:23 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

IIRC it needs to be set at 4cyl mode.

check what the sc400 guys do.
Old 01-29-14, 04:35 AM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Ok fellas I set it on 4cylinder mode and it reads perfect! lol. I'll wire in the wideband later today.
Old 01-29-14, 11:45 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

no dyno no care.

seriously though, dyno before/after pls.
Old 01-29-14, 12:29 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

I'm pretty tight on money at the moment, but I'll be getting it on the dyno as soon as possible. I'd really like to see about 220-230whp out of it with my current mods. I think its possible since It put down 193whp/197tq basically stock and running poorly. But like you said PD, without the dyno sheets nobody will care. lol
Old 01-29-14, 12:33 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Those numbers were before the headers and updated exhaust, and minus the manual trans. It was also running like poop. She is running pretty darn good now even without the tune.
Old 01-29-14, 01:48 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Should be interesting to see the gains then... Or losses!
Old 01-29-14, 07:14 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^^ thanks Shmee, I will pretty upset if it's less. lol

On another note, my dang wideband is delayed because of this so called blizzard in Georgia. If I had known it was going to be delayed, I would have just drove up to get it. I ordered through summit and the summit store is not a bad drive from me. Three inches of snow and everybody has a panic attack and cant function. lol
Old 02-02-14, 10:48 AM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, so I go the wideband in and then realized that I had the SAFC wired wrong. I had all of the correct wires on the ecu, but used the wires for a hot wire setup instead of the Karman setup. So I switched them out and now she is running decent. When I get some time I'll scan and post up[ the diagram that I used for wiring the SAFC into the ECU for anybody else interested.

The car idles good at around 14.5-15. While cruising it was running at around 15-16, so I leaned it out enough to get it back down to 14-15 range while in low throllte.

I started to play with the high throttle settings but there was a lot of traffic last night and only got a couple good pulls in. I'd like to see around 13-13.5 in WOT. I think that would still be fairly safe?

Quick Reply: SAFC installed, questions...