LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

vsc. Abs no radio no keyless no dome light randonly

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-14, 04:39 PM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Today i checked the continuity at the ignition switch as outlined by teh wiring manual. Didnt get to anything else. Abs pump still freaks out by itself. goes away when relay is pulled.
Old 01-22-14, 05:40 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg5OH
Today i checked the continuity at the ignition switch as outlined by teh wiring manual. Didnt get to anything else. Abs pump still freaks out by itself. goes away when relay is pulled.
Did you check the non continuity between the "ACC" and the "IG1" sure enough?
It should be a infinity.
Old 01-23-14, 05:10 AM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

yes i checked all points oon the ignition switch, on and off. they test fine
im really doubting its a loose connection regarding the ABS at least. its totaly random with the mtoro turning on and off. Migth be computer, who knows.
BUt I dont think the circuit that powers keyless, garage opener, cig lighter, radio domelights, would eb fed thru the abs ecu would it?
Thats my main issue, I can look at all these diagrams all day, but all the wires go into those darn mystery boxes we call computers, where wizardry happens.
Thankfully my mustang is carbureted!

Last edited by Greg5OH; 01-23-14 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-23-14, 10:24 AM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

unplugged the ignition switch over lunch, and abs is not activating. Ign switch tested fine though.
\the plot thickens lol
Old 01-23-14, 05:17 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg5OH
BUt I dont think the circuit that powers keyless, garage opener, cig lighter, radio domelights, would eb fed thru the abs ecu would it?
Thats my main issue, I can look at all these diagrams all day, but all the wires go into those darn mystery boxes we call computers, where wizardry happens.
Thankfully my mustang is carbureted!
Your circuit diagram must be out of order I must say. Mine shows more detail but it's for a JDM and I don't know mine is fully effective for you or not. The "ABS ECU" does not supply any DC to the "ACC" line.

As I have shown you before using a diagram, those power lines [the "ACC" to the radio / the cig lighter] and [the "IG1" for ABS and etc] are separated after the "ignition switch". But those are the single line before it and is called the "AM1" line. The line has a fuse called "40A AM1". This may gives you some hint.

Regarding the ABS ECU, one idea to check it is to remove the fuse "10A Electronics IG". If this stops the motor to act, it means something unusual is happening in the ABS ECU or at connected lines to it.
Old 01-23-14, 08:38 PM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

i found a few interesting things today.
1) in the driver fender, in that big harness, two wires were corroded and disconnected. a very thin red one and a purple one. obviously need to reconnect those to look further.
2) There is a grey wire that was ripped from somewhere up in the dash. Schematics are showing it to go to body ecu and linked with radio number 2 fuse. So need to find wher eexactly it came out of and put it back.

The abs motor randomly fixed itself, but then i undid battery, put it back then it started doing its thing again. But now its fine again...

busy this weekend but hopefully get those wires reconnected on sunday night. Looks like im goign to have to move that whole harness out of the way, the original room was rubber thru and the PO had put a little plastic shield around it.
Old 01-23-14, 09:42 PM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

bad pic but you get the idea

i checked the voltage, both the red and purple have 12 volts from wire running towards front of the car, or fuse box/distribution block. nothing on the other side. going to do a quick fix on those and see if i can tuck the harness awya a little more on sunday night, till I have time to make an extended harness and route it the way I want it.

also, if the guys who installed the air ride 4 years ago wire dup the dakotas brian properly, then im getting 0 volts on the constant 12v red wire, but get 12v on the accesory on wire with key on. Thats a little strange. I dont know where it goes or comes from, toooo many wires behind the dash.
Old 01-26-14, 07:14 PM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

found 4 wires that were cut thru. all thin ones, solid red, solid purple, red with yellow stripe, red with black stripe. Put it all together, my domelights and keyless works!

trying to tuck up the whole harness inside the upper pinch weld. need to check clearance near the rear of the tire.
Old 01-29-14, 08:06 PM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

all tucked away