LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Pick pull cruising

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-16, 07:11 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Pick pull cruising

Took a trip to the pick/pull place yesterday, looking for a new door/hood. Wrong color and very beat up, so just pulled the resister pack(87165-50010) heater controller since mine had gone out before. Also pulled the clock/temp module. I'm keeping these for back up, but if anyone needs either of these, just let me know. I get to these pick pull places with in a day of the car showing up, but the ECU is always already gone out of them. I wonder if the people who work there get a first crack at all cars for the good parts.
Old 08-28-16, 07:45 AM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

You have to get to th car within a couple of days of it being put in the lot. U-pull-it yards are patrolled by professional parts resellers that know exactly what parts commonly go bad on what cars and what sells easy. For instance, I looked at a '96 LS400 that had been in the yard for a few weeks and the ECM, power steering rack, radio, cd changer, and transmission solenoid a were gone. I bet all by the same person.
Old 08-28-16, 11:30 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I find that same problem at pick n pull also. I usually get the things that most people toss and that are worthless as scrap. Spare parts are nice to have when you need them. I have got a few ECU's at pick n pull, what goes fast there in my area is the instrument clusters its like they are the first to go. And I think the fuel tank sender gaskets or something is always gone too because the whole sender is most always hanging out of the tank.
Old 08-28-16, 02:33 PM
KJG92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year heater controller is it? Every LS400 in a yard around here gets that plucked first. I called a yard near my office. I went by there at lunch to pick it up. You could clearly tell the screen was bled out on it. He acted as if he didn't know a thing. Went back a week later and it was on the shelf behind him with a $50 price tag on it waiting for that unsuspecting buyer and their no refunds on electronics warranty. I never made it to the counter when I saw that. Just walked out and will never go back.
Old 08-28-16, 03:00 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by KJG92
What year heater controller is it? Every LS400 in a yard around here gets that plucked first. I called a yard near my office. I went by there at lunch to pick it up. You could clearly tell the screen was bled out on it. He acted as if he didn't know a thing. Went back a week later and it was on the shelf behind him with a $50 price tag on it waiting for that unsuspecting buyer and their no refunds on electronics warranty. I never made it to the counter when I saw that. Just walked out and will never go back.
No, this is the controller that goes into the duct works and is usually a resister bank in most cars. Here it is an electronics package, but is quite expensive on-line($100 to $200) compared to the $5 I paid. Mine was out when I bought my car and took a while to find one at a pick/pull. My real score was finding the trunk release button intact on it. I swear I have looked at 8 95-97 ls400 and every one of them had this button missing.

Last edited by jaaa; 08-28-16 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-28-16, 04:02 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by jaaa
No, this is the controller that goes into the duct works and is usually a resister bank in most cars. Here it is an electronics package, but is quite expensive on-line($100 to $200) compared to the $5 I paid. Mine was out when I bought my car and took a while to find one at a pick/pull. My real score was finding the trunk release button intact on it. I swear I have looked at 8 95-97 ls400 and every one of them had this button missing.
Yea, LS400's like to break and wear in a very pattern like manner.
Old 08-29-16, 10:09 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

I hit the local pull and pick here a few weeks back. managed to find a black on tan 95 with the same options as mine. car was really beat but it was pristine as in it hadn't been raped yet. nobody had gotten to it. opened the door and saw the lower glovebox hadn't been removed so I pulled it back and saw the ECU sitting there. couldn't believe it!! unfortunately I didn't bring the right tools and I absolutely HAD to have it so I spent the next hour basically destroying that side of the dash to get it out. sucked. an hour and a half in 100 degree weather and sunny but I was hell bent on getting the ECU. car still had its tool kit and everything in the trunk so I used its own tools against it. :-( did what I had to do and got it out. youll never fully appretiate just how well these cars are built until you gotta rip one apart with the wrong tools. all I had was what was in the tool kit and the chrome breaker bar. im sure you can imagine what the end result was.. anyway I got the ECU and since it was half off that day I got it for $15! score!