LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New Noise after Timing Belt Change - Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-13, 05:33 AM
sayow
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New Noise after Timing Belt Change - Ideas?

Timing belt and water pump change complete. Drove about 80-100 miles so far with zero noise (like any well running LS, hard to even tell when car is idling its so quiet).

Then on the way home last night, I noticed an ever so slight dull ticking. Now keep in mind when I say ticking I do NOT mean an internal engine tick, more of a "something is clipping some hard plastic" kind of tick.

When I come out this morning to leave for work, I still hear it, very faint but instantly can tell (IMO) it is not an internal engine noise. However by time I get to work, 50 miles later, the tick is more pronounced.

Info I have:

1. The noise sounds external
2. The noise/tick still sounds like something is clipping plastic
3. The tick/clipping speed does increase with acceleration
4. Other than the noise, there does not appear to be any impact on performance/running

I am going to take it in tomorrow, but any ideas what the sound might be and where to start looking?
Old 12-16-13, 07:22 AM
sayow
Pit Crew

Update:

After going out and taking a look, let me revise the problem. It is definitely not internal and really is not even a ticking noise. I am pretty sure at this point the noise is not a lifter or the timing being off.

It appears to me that something is "loose" perhaps the fan? It appears to have a slight wobble when idling and there is a slight vibration. It could also be a tensioner is my guess.

Given that the sound nor vibration were apparent after the install or the first 50 miles or so I drove, I am more than a little nervous that something is coming "loose" and could fly off on the way home causing a much larger issue.

Scary part is I have to drive it 50 miles home after work, so I will be babying her the whole way.
Old 12-16-13, 09:01 AM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Might help to use a mechanic's stethoscope or something similar to pinpoint the noise, just be careful where you place it. Not likely an idler; those spin at about 4x crankshaft speed, and it would sound more like a buzz. Best way to check is to take off the serpentine belt, then see if the sound is still there. If it is, then you at least know that it is internal, probably a lifter.
Old 12-16-13, 09:33 AM
Tommy2JZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really cannot help without hearing this noise check if anything is hitting the fan, the belt. could be a bearing. etc
Old 12-16-13, 11:03 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree, remove the serpentine drive belt and listen (you can even drive for a short distance safely) this will eliminate many possibilities!
Old 12-16-13, 03:43 PM
sayow
Pit Crew

Update # 2

The "noise" has gotten progressively worse from when I arrived at work this morning and by the time I got home tonight. Full on scary noise now lol.

Below are two videos I took, first is this morning, the second is after i get home 35 miles later.

Hoping someone has some ideas but my thought is if it is progressively sounding very different, then that tells me its not lifters or even timing, right? This sounds like something is coming loose which may be good or bad but I would love to hear from the Lexus wisemen that roam these forums!

Needless to say its not getting driven anymore, going to a Lexus certified shop on Wednesday so it sits until then.

Sound this morning

35 miles later... yeah i know BAD

Old 12-16-13, 05:35 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

I would take the covers off and start checking bolts. Make sure everything is tight. Is the serpentine belt new?
Old 12-16-13, 06:03 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

im betting loose tensiner bolt, something backing out and rubbing. only reason i can think it's getting worse.
Old 12-17-13, 08:47 AM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
im betting loose tensiner bolt, something backing out and rubbing. only reason i can think it's getting worse.
Most likely this is the case. I wouldn't drive it like that any further, open her up and check immediately.
Old 12-17-13, 09:03 AM
lexxpro
Driver School Candidate

Check the fan bracket. Sounds similar to a problem i had with mine when the bearing started to go out. The fan started to wobble around.
Old 12-17-13, 10:47 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

once again, remove the drive belt, that takes like 1 minute of work!!

if the sound goes away, you have instantly narrowed it down to either fan bracket, alternator, power steering pulley, A/C clutch pulley, or drive belt idler or drive belt tensioner

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 12-17-13 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-17-13, 09:54 PM
sayow
Pit Crew

Removed drive belt and no noise, purrs like a kitten... thanks for the tip Cowboy!

I am thinking fan bracket... at least that is where i will start.
Old 12-17-13, 09:59 PM
sayow
Pit Crew

Wow the fan bracket seems like a bit of work... question. Since I have narrowed it down to one of the following:

Fan bracket
Alternator
Power steering pulley
A/C clutch pulley
Drive belt idler
Drive belt tensioner

Are any of these something that should keep me from driving it 3-4 miles to a (new) mechanic?
Old 12-17-13, 10:15 PM
sayow
Pit Crew

So I just noticed after taking off the serpentine belt that the crankshaft pulley mark - which I believe should be set to 0 is actually set at something approaching 9 or 10 o'clock! That is to say the white mark is so far left its off the 10-0 gauge.

That cant be right... right?

Before I do anything though, is there a chance that this dumbass mechanic had to set it there because of some back *** way he setup the timing belt?

Any advice on next step?
Old 12-17-13, 10:18 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

yes. shouldn't be driven without the drive belt on, electrical system will drain quite quickly.

Quick Reply: New Noise after Timing Belt Change - Ideas?