LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98 LS400 Niggles

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-13, 06:51 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Now if Honda had provided better built vehicles
Honda/Acura's reliability record is as enviable as Toyota's, although they have never built a car that is as durable as the LS series while also being as reliable.

No, Honda doesn't have a perfect reliability history, no manufacturer does (including Toyota/Lexus), but Honda, Acura, Toyota, Lexus, Scion, Infiniti, and Subaru have taken the reliability standard in the automotive world to a whole other level. - and at times, Nissan and Mazda have joined them in this rarefied club on selected years/models.

you can read the reliability histories of all vehicles from millions of owners surveyed at the non-profit www.consumerreports.org (subscription required)
Old 12-21-13, 07:36 AM
Yamae

Received 852 Likes on 644 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
Honda/Acura's reliability record is as enviable as Toyota's, although they have never built a car that is as durable as the LS series while also being as reliable.

No, Honda doesn't have a perfect reliability history, no manufacturer does (including Toyota/Lexus), but Honda, Acura, Toyota, Lexus, Scion, Infiniti, and Subaru have taken the reliability standard in the automotive world to a whole other level. - and at times, Nissan and Mazda have joined them in this rarefied club on selected years/models.

you can read the reliability histories of all vehicles from millions of owners surveyed at the non-profit www.consumerreports.org (subscription required)
I have a similar feeling. But I will not buy latest Toyota cars. The last Toyota car I bought was Toyota Sienta (sold only in Japan) for my daughter 3 years ago. As I see rubber parts now, some of them are already starting to crack. My Celsior 15 years old still doesn't have any visible crack by my old eyes. My left eye is not functioning well enough though.
Old 12-21-13, 08:01 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS

I certainly wish our experience with Hondas had been different - so bad that I could never consider purchasing another Honda vehicle. Four new Hondas in only six years. They didn't age well. I had never before considered turn signal lever assemblies as parts that required regular replacement and have certainly never had a gas tank filler tube quickly rust out and spill gasoline on any other brand of car.

We have participated in Consumer Reports annual product surveys on cars and appliances since the 1970's. If you look at the survey results from the early 1990's, the results showing the good and bad for the 1990 LS400 were EXACTLY what I was experiencing. I remember wondering if I was the only LS400 owner participating in the survey!
Old 12-21-13, 08:19 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Sometimes a good cleaning of the seatbelts and friction surfaces with a wet washcloth (definetelly no soap!) will help with the saggy belt problem. two of my older cars, my 89' 4Runner and 75' Cadillac were impecably maintained for their whole life (one by my dad since new) and the seatbelts retract and feel as if they are still new... yet even on my LS400 and much of the newer vehicles i've owner, they always seem to be loose, sloppy, and need to be manually fed back in on occasions. i think it has something to do with people eating in the car, or as much as i hate to think about it, oils and such building up in the fabric from peoples skin.... eww...
Old 12-21-13, 01:08 PM
Tortuga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
Sometimes a good cleaning of the seatbelts and friction surfaces with a wet washcloth (definetelly no soap!) will help with the saggy belt problem. two of my older cars, my 89' 4Runner and 75' Cadillac were impecably maintained for their whole life (one by my dad since new) and the seatbelts retract and feel as if they are still new... yet even on my LS400 and much of the newer vehicles i've owner, they always seem to be loose, sloppy, and need to be manually fed back in on occasions. i think it has something to do with people eating in the car, or as much as i hate to think about it, oils and such building up in the fabric from peoples skin.... eww...
I tried cleaning mine - not a lot of improvement there sadly. Also, judging by the wear and tear on my 96, I think 99% of the time it only had the driver with no passengers, and both belt retractors are shot.

There are some threads out there that talk about disconnecting a power source down near the belt retractor - I just tested it and it helps a lot, but I have to think there's power there for a reason. I'm not comfortable driving around with that disconnected.
Old 12-22-13, 12:06 PM
Edr
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone have a suggestion for sourcing of the pneumatic assists for the trunk lid?

Since I whined in my first post, I'll now add things I love about the car:
1. The engine is super appropriate to the car, powerful but not overwhelming. The soft suspension rocks back when you give it some gas. The accelerator is very progressive.
2. The visibility is excellent.
3. I like that the controls are very intuitive and well organized with large buttons. Most of the auto world has caught up with the Toyota/Lexus tactile feel of the controls, but you don't go backwards with a 15 yr old Lexus.
4. The sunroof is large and operates smoothly.
5. The steering is actually very positive and accurate (except for the highway as I mentioned).
6. My car has the chrome wheels and gold package. I might not have liked it in 1998 but I sure do now. It dates the car, but it appeals to me.
7. The seats are outstanding. Great for my lower back.

Ed
Attached Thumbnails 98 LS400 Niggles-100_6358.jpg  
Old 12-22-13, 01:53 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

definitely have the suspension inspected, the strut bar bushings are a very common issue and inexpensive to replace
Old 12-22-13, 05:06 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Edr
Does anyone have a suggestion for sourcing of the pneumatic assists for the trunk lid?
Ed
Did you see my previous post in which I provided the price that forum sponsor Sewell Lexus charges? I doubt if you are going to find them much cheaper.
Old 12-23-13, 08:31 AM
Edr
Driver School Candidate

I had missed that, $250 for the trunk lid stay assemblies through Sewell. Ouch. I used them for the radiator hoses, brake pads, and trans filter kit. I got the coolant, brake fluid, and trans fluid from the local Toyota dealership. I was surprised that the coolant was $29/ gallon. Other than that, the pricing seemed reasonable.