LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 forum vs GX470 forum - observations

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-13, 08:15 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
Default LS400 forum vs GX470 forum - observations

I figured I would just comment on how good the LS400 community is compared to some of the newer vehicles that haven't really aged enough to be touched by the DIYers... For everything i've ever needed on my 95 LS, a simple search on here has always come up with a quick answer. People are knowledgeable and willing to share their experiences on how they tackled the various issues, and I was able to turn my LS from a neglected heap to a very nice driving vehicle by following that others have said.

As I also own a 2004 GX470, (phenomenal truck by the way) I hang out on the GX forum on here as well. I'll tell you what, it's a whole 'nother animal!!

There is barely any information available (granted the trucks are too new to have many issues yet), and most of the questions asked make me want to

For example: one person asked that if they were planning to buy a 2008 to keep for a year or so, if 90,000 miles is too much for one...... um.. really? It's based on the bulletproof 4Runner platform, and has a larger variation of the 1UZ-FE, and not only that... It's a Lexus...

Another person was so pissed off that he broke the fob head off of his key, that he was planning on going back to BMW/Mercedes for their "Reliability".... words that i don't think ANYBODY has ever said, just because of a key which could be repaired for $30 at the local dealer.

I dunno, it just makes me laugh how different the crowd is compared to ours.
Old 12-03-13, 09:39 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

this is why I don't post much to the newer Lexus model forums, but in time, as the cars age and get sold to a more DIY crowd, the LS430 forum, for example, will become like this one. But we are sure nowhere near there yet!
Old 12-03-13, 08:41 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
I figured I would just comment on how good the LS400 community is compared to some of the newer vehicles that haven't really aged enough to be touched by the DIYers... For everything i've ever needed on my 95 LS, a simple search on here has always come up with a quick answer. People are knowledgeable and willing to share their experiences on how they tackled the various issues, and I was able to turn my LS from a neglected heap to a very nice driving vehicle by following that others have said.

As I also own a 2004 GX470, (phenomenal truck by the way) I hang out on the GX forum on here as well. I'll tell you what, it's a whole 'nother animal!!

There is barely any information available (granted the trucks are too new to have many issues yet), and most of the questions asked make me want to

For example: one person asked that if they were planning to buy a 2008 to keep for a year or so, if 90,000 miles is too much for one...... um.. really? It's based on the bulletproof 4Runner platform, and has a larger variation of the 1UZ-FE, and not only that... It's a Lexus...

Another person was so pissed off that he broke the fob head off of his key, that he was planning on going back to BMW/Mercedes for their "Reliability".... words that i don't think ANYBODY has ever said, just because of a key which could be repaired for $30 at the local dealer.

I dunno, it just makes me laugh how different the crowd is compared to ours.
lol, we got one too. '07 model with the air suspension (I get way too entertained when it starts "lowering" after you turn it off), and it has a 110k miles, so I don't know what that other guy was talking about with reliability.

I'm guessing the main difference between the two cars is there isn't so much of a modding scene with the GX, so nobody's really willing to pull apart any panels to do anything too out of the ordinary.
Old 12-03-13, 09:34 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I'm very thankful to the members in this section, mature and calm way of making discussions here. Other parts of Club Lexus can be quite "unique" in character.
Old 12-03-13, 10:12 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I've noticed this as well since I had an 09 GX470. It was a very different forum compared to the LS forum. There isn't much information on those cars so I never get on there.

I really like the LS400 and LS430 forum. It seems a lot more laid back compared to the SC forum. There just aren't as many people on here.
Old 12-03-13, 10:25 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

hey im on the GS side of the tracks. and i must say the 2nd gen GS and LS400 Forums are very creative people. Some of the nicest cars have the most miles. DIY's for everything you can dream of. I'm very thankful for the things i have learned from the stuff here and tackled 98% of everythin gon my car in my own garage. On top of that, not having a car payment makes it all that much better. I am also a huge fan of the LS400 so i try to stop in and see whats going on over here too. One day i may join this section also. 400 Salute!
Old 12-04-13, 08:50 AM
jscoda
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too had a neglected LS400 but with the help of this forum have corrected all the challenges fromt he PS pump leaking to the broken antenna (now using the cell phone built-in antenna). to adding a shim to fix the tilt steering.
You guys are great. Now just have to find out why the radio light works sometimes and hit a bump and it goes out but the radio still works.....that is next.

I also have a 2004 Toyota Sequoia Limited (the 470 sister) with 230k and love it. Drives like a dream and is a work horse. But yes the information is not nearly as helpful as here. Also have an 06 Tundra Limited and 98 4Runner so you can see what kind of cars we drive here. And can add at least 3 older models that at one time lived here.