LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

replacing radiator and cooling fan swtich, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-13, 05:27 PM
93lexusLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing radiator and cooling fan swtich, need help!

I'm new to clublexus, but have been searching and reading post on here for a while, but I came to road block where searching wasn't helping lol.

Anyways I recently bought a 1993 Lexus LS400 as a second car, my primary car is my 2011 Chevy Camaro LS. I bought it for pretty cheap, 1,200. It has 238K miles and obviously needs some TLC. My first fixes are going on right now, I've replaced the timing belt, water pump, idler bearing and pulley, timing belt tensioner, fan bracket, fan clutch, and drive belt. A friend of mine who's a mechanic at a local mazda dealership is doing the repairs. He recommended I get a new radiator cause mine had a crack. I looked around and ended up getting the Denso 221-3122.

Now heres where I need your guys help/input. I've checked multiple times that I have the right radiator, and everything appears to be a good fitment, however he took the cooling fan switch out of the old radiator and tried fitting it in the new one and he says it doesn't fit. I believe he said he can get it in a little bit, but not all the way in, Like only a couple threads. Is this normal to only screw it in a couple threads? is it the wrong radiator in the right box lol? Anyone else buy the Denso radiator? any input would be great please
Old 11-17-13, 05:43 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

that is the correct radiator, was the box factory sealed?

tell him to take the correct sized metric tap from his tap & die set and run it down into the radiator switch hole in case there is paint over-spray or a burr, but usually Denso parts are very high quality and do not have these issues!

also make sure the old switch is not aftermarket, they don't always fit like they should.

also inspect threads of old switch.
Old 11-17-13, 05:57 PM
93lexusLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The box was not factory sealed. I ordered it online and ordered a radiator hose at same time, and they put the hose in the Denso box and resealed it for shipping. but everything looks right though. I believe he said the bottom of the switch is hitting the back of the tank, that's what stopping it from screwing in all the way. I did take the switch to Autozone to compare my switch to a new one and mine actually looked kinda smaller/shorter then the new one they had. Threads on the switch look good. So it should screw all the way down, not only partially down?
Old 11-17-13, 06:57 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

it screws all the way down, but there is a gasket! (really an o-ring)

this is why it is a good idea to make the Lexus dealership parts counter guy into your best friend (give him nice things you have cheap access to, everyone likes gifts! - I recommend a nice Snap-On tool he doesn't yet own)

the Lexus dealership parts guy, if he likes you, can pull a new radiator and a new switch from stock, and let you and your mechanic inspect both, and also see how they mate up and then the problem becomes obvious!