LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

I read the PS bible... still have questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-13, 01:11 PM
sayow
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default I read the PS bible... still have questions.

After reading the entire power steering pump bible thread I am more knowledgeable and yet still confused. Hoping for some help.

Car is a 1996 LS with what I would consider a BAD power steering leak. Filled, I get about 80 miles before the whine starts. I definitely get a lot of white smoke at start and only at start.

So many questions:

1. I believe I do NOT need to replace the pump but only replace or plug the ACV. Does the smoke at start up make it clear that its a leak of the ACV?

2. What about the high pressure hose? Should that be replaced as well?

3. If I do replace the pump, do I order an LS400 pump and then order an ACV or can I just order an SC400 pump with the ACV plugged? Or does the LS400 pump already come with the ACV? I am worried that I will hand my mechanic a new LS400 PS pump and after he replaces it i still have a leak because there is no ACV in the new pump??!!

4. Given how bad my leak is, should I just go ahead and replace the alternator? I would assume that the alternator has been all gummed up but is it 100% that if the ACV is leaking (i.e. white smoke at start) that the fluid is indeed hitting the alt?

5. Any way to test alternator to see if needs replacing or is it a part that works until it fails with no signs?

6. What are typical hours for a PS pump replacement and alt replacement? I dont have time to do work myself but have a guy.

Thank you very much.
Old 11-14-13, 03:10 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1-3. Wait for an informed member.
4. I'd say just replace the alternator, but you should go through with checking it thoroughly.
5. The signs of a bad alt are definitely noticeable. You will start to get strange error messages and parts of the car will just stop working altogether (unless you have suitable charge running through the battery).
6. Honestly, you could DIY it if you really wanted to. From what I'm reading, it's just three 10mm bolts you need to take off, on the underside of the car, according to this thread. Then move the power steering hose out of the way and wiggle it out. Just be sure to jack it up safely with a jack/jack stands/wheel chocks. or use a lift, and get under there. It all connects to where the oil pan is using the bolts I mentioned earlier. Here's a diagram (I got from the linked thread) on how to do it on a 2000 LS, which should be similar, if not the same, for the '96.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
alternator.pdf (271.8 KB, 235 views)
Old 11-14-13, 04:23 PM
jscoda
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a 96 LS400 too

I just did what you are talking about last Sunday.

I had white smoke and a leak. Removed the ICV and plugged both vacuum hoses. Removed the bolt from the PS pump and went to Auto Zone and got a 14mm x 1.0mm oil drain plug with an aluminum washer. Fit and worked perfectly. While I was working on the PS ....went ahead and replaced the o-ring on the reservoir and replaced the return hose. HP hose seemed fine. Wiped everything down. Wiped the alternator and don't see any signs of damage. Put it all back together and it works great. No smoke....no leaks...no whinning....now my son is wanting to take the Lexus away from me. Total cost less than 20.00 including new fluid. Took about 4 hours since I had never did this before but now would be half that time or less.

You need a 10mm socket with extension. A 12mm socket and 12mm wrench (nasty little bolts on the reservoir base). A phillips head screwdriver and a 17mm wrench to remove the original bolt from the side of the PS pump. And a 14mm socket to put in the new bolt. Also used a flat head screwdriver to pry the old return hose off. Used a pair of plyers to remove clamps. Get some rags and a flashlight. I think that is about it. Good luck.
Old 11-14-13, 05:32 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

high pressure hose is probably the most common area for a '96 to leak, there is a cheap replacement on ebay that CL members have had good luck with.

Or you can take it out by the airport to a hydraulic hose rebuilder.

Please let us know if the repair you did stopped all of your leaking over time.

if you weren't getting spots on the driveway, then your alternator is probably fine!