LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

The Master UPPER control arm thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-15, 09:50 PM
jerm8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shmee, thanks for starting this. It's been a year and a half since the Moogs....correct? Wondering how they're holding up?

I have a 95 LS with 265K mi. Everything is original except shocks, front strut rod bushings and rear lower control arm bushings. With that many miles on original parts it might be hard to pinpoint what's going on because it could be several things but I can't afford to just replace everything!

My car wanders driving down the road. Wind bothers it a lot and rutty roads really make you pay attention. I've been trying to find the cause for a couple years and it has been driving me nuts! It ate thru my last set of tires way too soon. I've had my tire shop look for problems and I've had it on racks, jacked it up multiple times trying to move the wheels horizontally and vertically as much as I possibly can by hand to no avail. We haven't been able to find anything loose with those methods. I finally strapped a 5' bar to each wheel and had my son use his weight back and forth while I reached up underneath to feel the ball joints. I found a small amount of play in the right rear LBJ and a fair amount of play in both of the rear UCA bushings.

Then I saw the video of how to check the ball joints by squishing them with pliers earlier in this thread so I did that on the UCAs as well. I found that my front right UCA ball joint has a very small amount of compression and the left side compresses probably 1/32"-1/16".

Other than the wandering, there isn't anything else noticeable. No clunking or vibrating.

I would love to hear opinions from you all. What symptoms are caused by worn UCAs?

Would wandering possibly be one of them?

Should there be any movement in the rear UCA bushings?

Thanks for your time!

Last edited by jerm8; 07-21-15 at 09:12 AM. Reason: forgot important info
Old 07-21-15, 08:30 AM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you will have some compliant in your rear UCA bushings, I believe yours are rubber and not a heim joint. There is some compliance there, you shouldnt feel any looseness, just firm resistance. If it feels questionable, pull it out to inspact for separated rubber. PITA when working on your knees for sure.
Old 07-21-15, 03:52 PM
jerm8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Greg5OH
you will have some compliant in your rear UCA bushings, I believe yours are rubber and not a heim joint. There is some compliance there, you shouldnt feel any looseness, just firm resistance. If it feels questionable, pull it out to inspact for separated rubber. PITA when working on your knees for sure.
Correct. They are not loose, but have some give when some pressure is applied with a bar. They are rubber. The rear control arm bushings are much more firm so I wanted to know about the RUCA bushings. They are either really worn out and need to be replaced or those bushings are designed to give a little. If I am hearing you correctly, they are designed to give some.
Old 07-23-15, 05:19 PM
jerm8
Driver School Candidate

Shmee, How have the Moog UCAs held up for you?
Old 03-11-17, 04:30 AM
LORAN
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by j2b4o
Just an update. I have a 90'. I bought a beck/arnley UCA about 3 years and ~30k miles ago and the ball joint is bad. The part looked crappy when I put it on. The doorman UCA on the other side is still looking good with about the same mileage/age. Ordered a new doorman to replace the B/A and several small parts stores suggested that doorman was the manafacturer of the Lexus part. This is complete heresay but if someone who knows better could confirm or deny it would be cool.
Bought the Doorman based on this post and your previous post saying the Doorman looked exactly like the OEM part. The Moog looked anorexic next to the OEM part. I needed the right side and for some reason Rock Auto had the right side a lot cheaper than the left side. Left side # 521069 is $152.79, right side # 521070 is $104.79.
Old 03-16-17, 01:10 AM
LORAN
Driver School Candidate

Got the Dorman part, made in China, pretty sure no OEM Lexus parts are made in China. It does look very similar, almost identical to the OEM part. Will put it on in a few days and will take some photos. The bushing and boot look to be very high quality.
Old 03-16-17, 01:58 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by LORAN
Got the Dorman part, made in China, pretty sure no OEM Lexus parts are made in China. It does look very similar, almost identical to the OEM part. Will put it on in a few days and will take some photos. The bushing and boot look to be very high quality.
I would bet some OEM parts are now made in china, its a world market and Lexus will like everyone else do what ever to save a buck.
Old 03-22-17, 07:10 PM
Fro98686
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which Dormans to buy?

I priced them on partsgeek.com

They have expensive ones that go for 290 and 260 a side that stateirect replacement for a trouble-free installation
  • Steel, iron or aluminum construction ensures durability
  • Powder-coated or painted for long-lasting rust and corrosion resistance
They also have cheaper ones that go for 170 and 110 per side
Old 03-26-17, 11:23 PM
LORAN
Driver School Candidate

Here are pictures of the Dorman, look almost identical to OEM but a few minor differences such as the size of the R for right side. The castle nut is also smaller so I had to use 2 washers to make up the difference. The dirty OEM part doesn't show depth like the new part but the dimensions look identical.

The following users liked this post:
spuds (02-05-18)
Old 03-27-17, 02:25 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

Judging by the cover for the balljoint from atop, it looks like the Dorman balljoint looks to be superior to the Lexus one based on the size of it. Maybe it might have more room for grease or whatnot to keep the ball lubricated longer.
Old 01-04-19, 06:32 PM
Zaks
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone identify these arms? Ordered dorman and got this one from Amazon. Looks like the moog and I’ll definitely be returning it. Not sure if these guys are scamming people who don’t know better as it came in box with dorman logo and correct part # on a sticker.
Old 01-04-19, 06:34 PM
Zaks
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by Zaks; 01-04-19 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-20-19, 11:31 PM
orden
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know where on this earth I can find adjustable FUCA for the First Gen UCF10 Lexus LS400 1994

I need more camber up front and I cannot find anything,, anyone custom fab adjustable one to increase negative camber

Serial Nine appears to have none in stock, I search Nagisa all over the web, I would pay for the T-Demand if I could get ahold of them of find some ??

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows anything or any other way?

I am new here but have been reading this and VIP Style cars my entire life so thank you for ALL OF YOUR input from everyone!
Old 05-16-19, 06:55 AM
peterls
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

My doorman UCAs (1st gen) lasted 3 yrs before they developed the ugly clunk (city driving over horrible potholes in San Francisco).

Last edited by peterls; 05-16-19 at 07:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
spuds (05-17-19)
Old 05-17-19, 08:39 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by peterls
My doorman UCAs (1st gen) lasted 3 yrs before they developed the ugly clunk (city driving over horrible potholes in San Francisco).
Geeze,thats criminal! Thanks for the update.