LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

front end noise, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-03, 02:07 PM
azari
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default front end noise, please help!

hey guys,
On my 91 LS400, a couple of nights ago I noticed this: as I turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and move slowly (as in a 3 point turn), I hear a popping sound coming from the right front end, and along with that there is a feeling as if the right front wheel slipped on a icy spot on the road (not sure if this is the best description, but...). Someoneelse had posted a message regarding this issue way back, but got no responses. What could this be? a lubrication problem, something loose that needs to get tightened up, or something more serious and costly? If you know about it, please help me out with this, thank you.
Old 01-23-03, 02:15 PM
azari
Intermediate

To better the description: when the "poping" happened, it felt as if my right front wheel went on a piece of rock (the size of a ping-pong ball), and the rock came out of the bottom of tire with force (like the tire shoots it out). Hope this helps.
Old 01-23-03, 02:19 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Check your CV boot and control arm bushings.

Lou
Old 01-23-03, 02:50 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A classic case of worn lower ball joint, but other worn suspension components may also exhibit similar symtoms. I would check & replace the ball joint first.
Old 01-23-03, 11:37 PM
Rice
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by SQ-LS
Check your CV boot and control arm bushings.

Lou
CV boot on a rear wheel drive? C'mon, moderator, you can do better than this
Seriously though, I agree with hyperopt - a classic case of bolljoititis.

Last edited by Rice; 01-23-03 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-26-04, 02:33 PM
stuart browne
Driver School Candidate

Jack up the front of the car that the wheel is giving you trouble. Grasp the tire at 12 and 6 and see if the wheel and tire move in and out. If it does it will be the upper control arm and ball joint, the ball joint is not replaceable you need the control arm with ball joint. Check the outer tire rod end they will make a popping noice when they are about to pop off.Grab the tie rod arm and see if it is very loose, does it flop around. IF you can not move it at all it is seized. Lower the car so you can put a crow bar under the tire move the bar up and down do you see it moving, if so the lower ball joint is gone. I have yet to see any Lexus come into the shop with a wheel bearing gone unless they hit a curb or where in an accident. Have you ever had any front end work done on the car. The sway bar bushings go at about 60th, control arm bushings at 90th but you get a clunk when brake is applied . Hope this helps any good front end man will be able to help you check this out , the front end on any Lexus is very simple to work on
Old 10-26-04, 04:15 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by stuart browne
Jack up the front of the car that the wheel is giving you trouble. Grasp the tire at 12 and 6 and see if the wheel and tire move in and out. If it does it will be the upper control arm and ball joint, the ball joint is not replaceable you need the control arm with ball joint. Check the outer tire rod end they will make a popping noice when they are about to pop off.Grab the tie rod arm and see if it is very loose, does it flop around. IF you can not move it at all it is seized. Lower the car so you can put a crow bar under the tire move the bar up and down do you see it moving, if so the lower ball joint is gone. I have yet to see any Lexus come into the shop with a wheel bearing gone unless they hit a curb or where in an accident. Have you ever had any front end work done on the car. The sway bar bushings go at about 60th, control arm bushings at 90th but you get a clunk when brake is applied . Hope this helps any good front end man will be able to help you check this out , the front end on any Lexus is very simple to work on

The thread you replied to is almost two years old so hopefully he has fixed the problem by now.
Good advice though.