LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Transmission question!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-03, 03:41 PM
azari
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission question!

Car: 1991 LS400, 73000 miles

Hi, Since I've never driven any other LS400's other than the one I bought, I don't know the way certain things are supposed to work. My question is about my tranny, and again, becuase of my lack of knowledge, the tranny may be perfectly normal; but i just want to ask to make sure. So here is the question: When you guys shift from Park into either Reverse or Drive, does the car sort of firmly engage, to an extent that you feel it? or does it engage in a way that you don't even notice you put the car into either R or D? It doesn't really SLAM into gear, nevertheless the car does move JUST a little forward (D), or backward (R), again, it engages firmly. Do you all experince this? or could I be having some tranny problems?
Really appreciate your response
Old 01-22-03, 03:56 PM
Lvangundy

I have the same problem.

Probably common for high mileage older transmissions.

It does bug me whenever I'm in someone else's newer car and shifting from P to R or D is smooth as silk an no body movement. Just wish mine did the same!
Old 01-22-03, 04:34 PM
azari
Intermediate

so let's get some more people to share with us their experiences. Please respond when you read this thread, specially if you own a 1st gen LS400. thank you
Old 01-22-03, 09:25 PM
Pyrotech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 95LS engages rather aggressively...especially while the car is warming up and the rpm's are higher. seems like a common thing with LS's across the board. i always make sure i let go of the brake when i put the car in drive so the car lurches forward and moves rather than shaking in its place! try seeing if it does lurch when first turning on the car or after driving for 5 minutes or so when the engine is cold. once my car is warm i can hardly notice changing gears or shifting from R to D.
Old 01-22-03, 11:20 PM
BrianV
Driver

Originally posted by Pyrotech
my 95LS engages rather aggressively...especially while the car is warming up and the rpm's are higher. seems like a common thing with LS's across the board. i always make sure i let go of the brake when i put the car in drive so the car lurches forward and moves rather than shaking in its place! try seeing if it does lurch when first turning on the car or after driving for 5 minutes or so when the engine is cold. once my car is warm i can hardly notice changing gears or shifting from R to D.
Mine does that too, but I've noticed this car goes pretty darn fast just putting it in drive and not touching the gas. Thus, there is probably more torque coming out of this V8 at idle level thus the car has to jolt, can't compare it to a small 4 banger that makes no power at idle.
Old 01-22-03, 11:23 PM
dunn378
Pole Position

i have a 91 with 213,000 on it and it does the same thing sometimes but it doesn't bother me too much.
Old 01-23-03, 02:52 AM
azari
Intermediate

well, of course if the engine is cold the RPM is higher and so the engagement will be more aggressive. But mine still engages firmly even when the car is completely warmed up. Not as aggressively as when it's cold, but for example, in comparison to my mother's 2000 Camry, it's much more noticable (on the camry, you don't notice anything at all). I had actually thought about the fact that it's a much more powerful engine and so it does produce more torque than a smaller and less powerful engine. Does this sound like a good explanation to you? Also, is there ANYBODY out there who actually does NOT experince this with their first gen. LS400? We'll wait for your response, thanks.
Old 01-23-03, 02:56 AM
azari
Intermediate

sorry, forgot to mention this, the firm engagement happens even after the car's warmed up (not a slam, but just firm). thanks.
Old 01-23-03, 05:05 PM
92lexus
Driver School Candidate

Question tranny

I dont think you have anything to serious there, I am experiencing the same sort of issue with my 92 ls400 which now has over 130,000 miles on it. so far so good, just keep tabs on any leaks or grinding coming from the tranny, you may need to change the fluid and filter if its been a while.good luck
barry, 92 lexus
Old 01-23-03, 08:25 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Alot of time when the tranny oil is dirty, the shifting would not be smooth. Try changing your tranny oil and see if it improves.
Old 01-23-03, 11:41 PM
azari
Intermediate

Letxtreme, I've got to change the tranny fluid soon, maybe in a week or so. I was going to do it anyways, it's been a while since the last one. It might help, but I think it's just normal for the tranny to shift rather firmly. So far, that's what most owners have been saying, so i think it's normal I'll do the tranny fluid change anyway, thanks though.
Old 02-03-03, 04:56 AM
Hackman
Rookie

My 91LS engages firmly just like yours.
Old 02-03-03, 06:00 AM
mlevk
Driver

MIne is a 91 and yes there is a firm engagement.
BUT , if I stop at R and then go to D then the engagement
is MUCH softer.

It's been 36K since the last oil change, does any one
know how to drain the TC w/o a flush machine.
I read many different descriptions. The one I like best
is to drain thru the cooling lines, and let the tranny pump out
the fluid while you add fluid thru the tube.

Avg price of a flush at LEXUS dealer ?
Old 04-10-03, 02:48 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

My 93 does the same thing, but I can almost here a metal clank. Only on cold mornings. I have no idea when the fluid has been changes since I just bought the car so I am getting it drained tommorow.

My dealer wants $100 to drain and refill and $150 for a flush. Is the flush worth an extra $50?
Old 04-10-03, 04:09 PM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO you should spend the extra 50.00 and get all the fluid replaced-make sure they use Toyota type 4 fluid and have them drop and clean the pan and screen.I just had that done by a local Lexus dealer at a cost of 200.00.I don't regret it since any tranny work on a lexus is mucho dinero-an ounce of prevention....

Quick Reply: Transmission question!