LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Adding a Double Din headunit

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-13, 06:39 AM
billymild
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a Double Din headunit

I have a 98 LS400. I have seen a few thread of people adding a double din unit, but when I go to crutchfield it says they won't fit. If I got with a new double din unit I would most likely replace the factory amp with an aftermarket 5 channel amp.

Is there a good double din kit available?
Old 10-29-13, 09:07 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

yes, beatsonic makes an expensive one that perfectly matches the dash, scosche or metra makes a cheaper one that isn't as nice but works fine.

wiring is going to be custom since you're using an aftermarket amp
Old 10-29-13, 09:07 AM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Metra and scosche should have a double din kit for it. I believe I bought the scosche one for mine and it fit nicely. Also beat sonic have it as well wood grain and all but it is pricey.
Old 10-29-13, 11:07 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are 3 different double din kits offered for your vehicle. Here is a list with a few of the highlights of each:
  • <b>Metra 99-8153</b> Metra 99-8153

Your basic run-of-the-mill dash kit. Costs are kept low by the, albeit flimsy, ABS plastic construction. This is the one I personally used. Comes with a manual detailing factory head unit removal and installation of the new unit. The color of the plastic isn't a perfect match, but it can be easily overlooked.
  • <b>Scosche LS2085B</b> Scosche LS2085B

A step up from the Metra kit, in that it supports the use of a Single DIN head unit, should you feel the need to downsize. We see ABS plastic used again in the construction but I cannot comment on its durability. The color, again, is not a factory match, but can be overlooked.
  • Beatsonic SLA-21AFB
    Expensive, at nearly 8 times the cost of the Metra and Scosche units, but you aren't paying extra for the magic beans. Durability is solid due to the metal construction of the head unit's mounting brackets. The color of the finish is a perfect match to OEM. Can also add woodgrain trim, at an additional fee.

Good luck with your audio setup. Should you need any assistance, I am a PM away.

Last edited by Sc0pe; 10-29-13 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-30-13, 09:02 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default my radio

Originally Posted by billymild
I have a 98 LS400. I have seen a few thread of people adding a double din unit, but when I go to crutchfield it says they won't fit. If I got with a new double din unit I would most likely replace the factory amp with an aftermarket 5 channel amp.

Is there a good double din kit available?
I love mine
Attached Thumbnails Adding a Double Din headunit-001.jpg   Adding a Double Din headunit-021.jpg  
Old 10-30-13, 09:20 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

ooh i need to do this to my 93! my headunit is failing fast..hah
Old 10-30-13, 02:06 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 240benzo
ooh i need to do this to my 93! my headunit is failing fast..hah
You're in luck! Only downside is, you lose the subwoofer, so you may need to get either a new amp for the stock sub or a new sub/amp altogether.
Old 10-30-13, 09:32 PM
Jlacck
Driver

I was keeping my eye on this thread because I had some of the same questions. Except, my challenge is I actually like the look of the stock head unit resting in the dash. (I think its the layout of the buttons). I thought about replacing the unit with a touchscreen display to gain access to Mp3/aux capabilities among others. But again I'm fond of the stock look. Does Beat Sonic make any head units or do they just do harnesses? Also is it true that we'd have to change ALL the speakers if we change head units?

Last edited by Jlacck; 10-30-13 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-30-13, 09:45 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

they don't make headunits.

you don't have to replace the speakers.
Old 10-30-13, 10:00 PM
Jlacck
Driver

So you are saying I can change the head unit but keep all the speakers??? Wow, the car audio dealer i was speaking to told me because of the way the lexus system is build/wired, changing the head units means I'd have to change the entire speaker system. I had never heard of that before so I suspected he was telling some BS to make money. But I think I had read somewhere else on this form that others had to do the same thing.
Old 10-31-13, 01:46 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jlacck
I was keeping my eye on this thread because I had some of the same questions. Except, my challenge is I actually like the look of the stock head unit resting in the dash. (I think its the layout of the buttons). I thought about replacing the unit with a touchscreen display to gain access to Mp3/aux capabilities among others. But again I'm fond of the stock look. Does Beat Sonic make any head units or do they just do harnesses? Also is it true that we'd have to change ALL the speakers if we change head units?
Beatsonic doesn't do head units. Just (overpriced) harnesses and trim plates. Now, what you could do is by a Single DIN head unit (with flip out screen if you like the touch screen) and install an EQ in the bottom half. This way, you get the features of new, with the little ***** of old

As for speakers, well, you can either connect the appropriate wires from the harness of the old head unit, to RCAs and effectively use the old amplifier and speakers like you normally would, OR you could get some speaker wire, go straight to the amplifier and connect the speaker wires from the amplifier to the appropriate speaker leads on the new head unit's harness.
Old 11-01-13, 05:42 AM
KiNGD206
Driver School Candidate

i bought scopes 1st link on my 90 LS400

only thing that DONT WORK is sub

my stock speakers are working fine just no stock bass from sub
i bought the first link KNOWING that as i planned on goin aftermarket subs n speakers anyways

hope that answered ur question
Old 11-16-14, 03:17 PM
SHOoff11
Driver

I know I'm bumping an old thread here, but I'm about to replace my factory nav in my '99 with a non-nav HVAC control, my Pioneer double-din, my Pioneer amp, and MTX 12" subwoofers. I've read that I will need the beatsonic harness and other threads say I won't. Can I just order the Metra dash kit and this Metra harness
Amazon Amazon

I don't care about retaining the factory subwoofer because I'm installing two 12" ones instead. I just want the factory speakers to work.
Old 11-16-14, 03:42 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

if you're using an aftermarket sub and amp then you should be fine.

That said, the beatsonic dash kit matches way way better than the metra.
Old 11-16-14, 04:04 PM
RobertE
Driver

I also just ordered a double din nav/dvd/cd unit for my non nav 99. I ordered thru crutchfield and just noticed the part about losing the use of the factory sub. Is there anyway I can retain the use of the factory sub? All the speakers and sub work fine now so I didn't want to replace speakers, sub and amp yet, maybe in a year. So any help on possibly being able to keep the stock sub and run it through the new unit would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Adding a Double Din headunit