LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Check engine light on cause vsc on?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-13, 02:35 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay so got battery confirm it tested out all bad at every place I went, at oreiley it didn't even show up no volt at all just say bad battery, but alternator and everything else check out good
Old 10-27-13, 02:55 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

definitely replace the battery if it is iffy! - that could definitely solve the entire problem! (that applies to anyone getting any CEL code)

my advice is based on you having already checked out the more routine items (battery known good, alternator charging correctly, all fluid levels correct, belts in good shape, etc.)
Old 10-27-13, 03:28 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Now I gotta find one that is good for having a sound system too then
Old 10-27-13, 04:38 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Well I settle for an optima, put it in and clear the code so let's see if it pop back up. The vsc light up when the check engine light up
Old 10-27-13, 05:10 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

give it a day, the check-VSC will go away on it's own. The CEL may take a drive cycle to reset.
Old 10-27-13, 05:18 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
give it a day, the check-VSC will go away on it's own. The CEL may take a drive cycle to reset.
I'll check back tomorrow after driving a bit, also PD of the timing is supposedly off by a tooth or so then the car wouldn't even run right correct? I'm thinking about replacing the oil control valve but I just clean it yesterday and still came on today from driving. So I just got the battery replace today since of every place I went to get it check it all turn out to have fail
Old 10-27-13, 05:43 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

if you are gonna have more than the stock sound system, you need a great battery AND a high amp alternator (like 160 amp or higher), and if it is a really kickin system, you may even need two batteries!
Old 10-27-13, 05:48 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

OCV cleaning/replacement is generally wroth it if you're over 100k miles or the car has any period of questionable oil change intervals in it's history. Replace both sides.
Old 10-27-13, 05:55 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

sounds like if the battery was bad, the timing may be just fine! - these system's proper operation assumes the battery is in good shape
Old 10-27-13, 06:13 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
if you are gonna have more than the stock sound system, you need a great battery AND a high amp alternator (like 160 amp or higher), and if it is a really kickin system, you may even need two batteries!
I will be running JL audio set up, which will be JL 500/1 and two JL w3 10", I just picked up the yellow top optima hopefully that will do I will upgrade more down the road when I get into air bags
Originally Posted by PureDrifter
OCV cleaning/replacement is generally wroth it if you're over 100k miles or the car has any period of questionable oil change intervals in it's history. Replace both sides.
The car is only a few hundreds away from 160k and oil change get change when it is dirty/black and only use full synthetic ever since I own/bought the cat.
sounds like if the battery was bad, the timing may be just fine! - these system's proper operation assumes the battery is in good shape
I really hope the timing is fine, is there another way to test the ocv? Also by any chance anyone may know the part number for both of the ocv if I do replace it I more than likely go oem unless someone got good experience with other brand
Old 10-28-13, 03:32 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

So I decided to just take the cover off and check the timing and I guess I am off by a tooth! I line up at tdc and the driver side cam doesn't even line up! Look at the pic below and let me know how it suppose to be

Old 10-28-13, 07:20 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

PD has pronounced your timing as just fine, therefore, it is!

but seriously, that does appear at a glance to be off - make us some better pics and show each cam

it is sometimes hard to determine whenever a timing belt is slightly off whether it has "jumped" a tooth, or was just installed a tooth off in the first place (when the timing belt was done)

get that service manual out that I sent you and read the timing belt alignment procedure over a few times!
Old 10-28-13, 07:40 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Well I didn't do both side I just wanted to show one side first and if it's off I figure it should be off. So according to the pictures, my timing is still fine?? I am currently not driving the car because don't want to risk anything on it. But if I do replace/redo it I should just change the belt and tensioner? Even tho it have not been a year on the timing belt kit I just got on

Last edited by SynicalVip; 10-28-13 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-28-13, 09:35 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

nooo, I did not say your timing was fine! - I was making a sarcastic remark as usual!

I have insufficient information at this point to tell you whether it is off or not.

you pics are not conclusive without simultaneous pics of both cams, you have to continue to rotate crank clockwise and see if there is a point where everything lines up

if it turns out that we determine it is truly off, you need to take the worse case that it may have jumped rather than been mis-installed and do the following:

● replace timing belt with correct Toyota, Bando or Mitsuboshi belt only
● replace timing belt tensioner (NTN or Toyota only)
● inspect for any oil leaks and wipe down crank and cam pulleys, idlers with 91% alcohol or brake cleaner
● replace timing covers and/or gaskets if there is any breakage or leaking inside going on - all surfaces inside timing covers are supposed to be dry and oil free
● use the factory service manual to insure the new timing belt is installed and tensioned correctly

check for oil leakage around cams and crank, if the seals are leaking, this could introduce oil into the timing belt area - is the inner surface of the tiny belt bone dry & grippy or oily?
Old 10-28-13, 09:51 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

nooo, I did not say your timing was fine! - I was making a sarcastic remark as usual!

I have insufficient information at this point to tell you whether it is off or not.

you pics are not conclusive without simultaneous pics of both cams, you have to continue to rotate crank clockwise and see if there is a point where everything lines up

if it turns out that we determine it is truly off, you need to take the worse case that it may have jumped rather than been mis-installed and do the following:

● replace timing belt with correct Toyota, Bando or Mitsuboshi belt only
● replace timing belt tensioner (NTN or Toyota only)
● inspect for any oil leaks and wipe down crank and cam pulleys, idlers with 91% alcohol or brake cleaner
● replace timing covers and/or gaskets if there is any breakage or leaking inside going on - all surfaces inside timing covers are supposed to be dry and oil free
● use the factory service manual to insure the new timing belt is installed and tensioned correctly

check for oil leakage around cams and crank, if the seals are leaking, this could introduce oil into the timing belt area - is the inner surface of the tiny belt bone dry & grippy or oily?
Lol okay got cha! I will take off the other side cover and check as well then. How many revolution I have to crank around before lining up at tdc? I will print out the link you sent me and go over it

Last edited by SynicalVip; 10-28-13 at 09:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Check engine light on cause vsc on?